Android Pie 9.0 DJI's SDK and Litchi
2271 14 2018-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Hey fellow DJI fliers. FYI I received an Android Litchi update this morning and was reading the "Read More" section and it says: Android version 9 (Pie) is not yet supported due to a crash in DJI's SDK (not to be confused with DJI Go). We reported the crash to DJI and hope they will fix it soon. Link > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aryuthere.visionplus

So just a heads up for the Android 9.0 Pie users and having FC's on both apps.

Fly safe!

2018-8-14
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Interesting. DJI has bugs in their software? Say it ain't so Joe.
2018-8-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, sorry that our DJI GO 4 app is not yet optimized with the latest Android version. Rest assured that our team will do their best to make our app compatible with the latest Android version as soon as possible.
2018-8-14
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-14 11:26
Hi, sorry that our DJI GO 4 app is not yet optimized with the latest Android version. Rest assured that our team will do their best to make our app compatible with the latest Android version as soon as possible.

People are reporting they cannot fly because of this and the only Android/iPhone they have is a Android 9.0 device. In short they cannot fly. I keep 2 other devices near me with full batts if i need to troubleshoot so i can keep flying. Boy Scout and be prepared thing i guess.
Hopefully the DJI Devs will get a handle on it soon. Thank you for the reply DJI Tony
2018-8-14
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Of course they can fly.  If they really want to they can downgrade to Android 8 in less than 10 minutes.  There is currently no device out there running Android Pie that cant be downgraded.

I suspect a lot of peoples issues with 9 is the new restricted app list which Go4 gets added to near immediately by google (this can be disabled).

I haven't had a single crash on 9 with my pixel2XL yet which if it was an app bug or SDK bug affecting everyone i would have expected to.
2018-8-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-8-14 06:34
Interesting. DJI has bugs in their software? Say it ain't so Joe.

No!  No!  No!  No!  No!
Get with the Prada.  It is always Pilot Error!   Otherwise it is back to Reindoctrination facility for you.   
2018-8-14
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the prompt reply, but don't you think that this should be in the form of a FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT???!!
2018-8-15
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

WebParrot Posted at 2018-8-15 04:58
Thanks for the prompt reply, but don't you think that this should be in the form of a FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT???!!

Other than the fact plenty of us do have it working on Android 9.

An OS which was released weeks early, with no warning one evening so caught everybody by surprise.

"not optimised" is their copy/paste script reply for anything that isnt on the obsolete compatibility list.
You could argue performance wise, Go4 hasnt been optimised on android for 9+ months now.
2018-8-15
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

This is the perennial "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" conundrum faced by users every time a new and shiny OS update comes along. Updating your OS before checking to see if your apps are compatible is a sure recipe for pain and misery.
2018-8-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

rolling56 Posted at 2018-8-14 11:53
People are reporting they cannot fly because of this and the only Android/iPhone they have is a Android 9.0 device. In short they cannot fly. I keep 2 other devices near me with full batts if i need to troubleshoot so i can keep flying. Boy Scout and be prepared thing i guess.
Hopefully the DJI Devs will get a handle on it soon. Thank you for the reply DJI Tony

Hi, thanks for your understanding. We will keep improving our to provide better service. Please let us know if you will encounter any problems.
2018-8-15
Use props
Dog Flight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3432156 ft
United States

That's why I didn't update my IPad. Take a wait and see approach, and let somebody else test it.
2018-8-15
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-15 07:07
Other than the fact plenty of us do have it working on Android 9.

An OS which was released weeks early, with no warning one evening so caught everybody by surprise.

[snark] When I get really really really rich I'm going to but lots of refurbished Pro's & Spnarks, and also buy refurbished iPhone 6's, and iPad mini 2's and a Huewai XT2..... and every time there's an update I will sacrifice the refurb by flying each with the refurb'd everything and if nothing crashes... I STILL won't update on my 'real' equipment.... Now THAT is trust. [close snark]
2018-8-15
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-8-15 07:27
This is the perennial "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" conundrum faced by users every time a new and shiny OS update comes along. Updating your OS before checking to see if your apps are compatible is a sure recipe for pain and misery.

I can't see why people expect things to work instantly for major OS revisions that have been around less than a week even to developers.
If your mobile device worked last week, it'll work next week even without the update.  There's no need to update immediately.

That said, it does work on Android 9 so not really an issue.
2018-8-15
Use props
Dynata
lvl.1
United States

What are you talking about?

This has nothing to do with the DJI Go 4 app. This is related to the SDK, which is a component of all third-party apps and required in order for them to operate DJI equipment. So DronreDeploy, Litchi and anyone else who uses the SDK on an Android device is grounded as of Pi.

It is a serious problem, it is not an optimization, and it points directly to the poor software quality at DJI, as do the firmware update failures, the inability to calibrate sensors on crafts because DJI does not have signed drivers, and the wide-spread problems with people getting massively pixelated images on their phones.

One reason why this is such a problem is that the last couple of releases of the DJI app decoded video so poorly that many phones, even modern ones, where are unable to present a usable picture on the screen in real time. It was just a bunch of colored blocks. In order to work around this problem while hopefully DJI was fixing it, many people switch to Litchi so that they could fly their drones at all. And now with the latest release of Android, Litchi doesn't work either.

As a test pilot for one of the largest DJI drone repair services, I have flown hundreds of DJI craft. In my opinion there hardware is great, but there software is abysmal.
2018-8-18
Use props
djiuser_RmJgCzZiubFH
New

United States

Dynata Posted at 2018-8-18 07:14
What are you talking about?

This has nothing to do with the DJI Go 4 app. This is related to the SDK, which is a component of all third-party apps and required in order for them to operate DJI equipment. So DronreDeploy, Litchi and anyone else who uses the SDK on an Android device is grounded as of Pi.

Update: I did an android pie update to my Pixel 2 XL the other day pushed by Verizon and my Litchi is working again! To be clear: I had the issue where after updating to Android 9 Litchi stopped responding. I uninstalled and reinstalled several times.
2018-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules