Is updating firmware required?
1969 34 2018-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chugger93
lvl.2
United States

I went to fly saturday, but it said I had a remote firmware to upgrade. I didnt have good cell reception, so I couldnt upgrade the firmware, but I couldnt figure out how to fly the drone either.  So that begs the question, do you have to upgrade the firmware and be on the latest to fly?  I'm still a version behind in the app store, havnt upgraded the app, but was on the latest upgrade for remote, up until the latest one released.

Thanks

2018-8-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out, regarding with your question you can still able to fly your aircraft even it's not updated, however, we recommend to update it to maximize the capability especially for those added feature you can check this for the release notes for each update https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... elease_Notes_EN.pdf
2018-8-14
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

usually click it away and fly. That is just a strange kind of a reminder "hey, there is a update".
2018-8-14
Use props
chugger93
lvl.2
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-8-14 08:32
usually click it away and fly. That is just a strange kind of a reminder "hey, there is a update".

ok weird, cuz I thought I wasn't able too..    I mean at the splash screen where it shows u have an update in red...   if I hit go fly,  then get to the main fly window, it shows at the top in red that there is a firmware update... HOW DO YOU GET PAST THAT?
2018-8-14
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

chugger93 Posted at 2018-8-14 08:43
ok weird, cuz I thought I wasn't able too..    I mean at the splash screen where it shows u have an update in red...   if I hit go fly,  then get to the main fly window, it shows at the top in red that there is a firmware update... HOW DO YOU GET PAST THAT?

I know.
And DJI wants you to update, that is it why it is not just shown as "hint".
I have ignored it for 2 weeks or such, was still flying around.
Never change a running asystem ;-), plus I wanted to read the feedbacks first.
Now I have updated and it works fine. Lucky me
2018-8-14
Use props
chugger93
lvl.2
United States

Ok so here is my issue. I'm posting screenshots.  How do I get past this??

Screenshot_20180814-220439.png
Screenshot_20180814-220432.png
2018-8-14
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

It is usually best to update firmware.
2018-8-14
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

chugger93 Posted at 2018-8-14 18:09
[view_image]Ok so here is my issue. I'm posting screenshots.  How do I get past this??

The 2 pictures with camera view, you cant get past, you must ignore them if you wantto fly..
Areyou android or ios user?? Ios have no issue with latest firmware, android works best on 4.1.15 and 4.1.12.  
The rc firmware, many people fot their rc bricked, no wifi, or it gets stuck halfway in update..usererror or something i dont know, i updated my rc just fine.  
2018-8-14
Use props
chugger93
lvl.2
United States

Joller79 DK Posted at 2018-8-14 20:07
The 2 pictures with camera view, you cant get past, you must ignore them if you wantto fly..
Areyou android or ios user?? Ios have no issue with latest firmware, android works best on 4.1.15 and 4.1.12.  
The rc firmware, many people fot their rc bricked, no wifi, or it gets stuck halfway in update..usererror or something i dont know, i updated my rc just fine.

You can't ignore them. There is no option to just fly.  It seems as though I'm being forced to update.

Im on android
2018-8-15
Use props
chugger93
lvl.2
United States

So nothing else on this eh? Guess I'll just have to update?  Dang...
2018-8-16
Use props
Greg F
Second Officer
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

You can fly without updating ..... BUT.... the reason for updates is DJI fix Bugs and glitches that could cause your drone to fall out of the sky or fly away or do strange things.    You are better off doing the updates.
2018-8-16
Use props
chugger93
lvl.2
United States

Greg F Posted at 2018-8-16 04:26
You can fly without updating ..... BUT.... the reason for updates is DJI fix Bugs and glitches that could cause your drone to fall out of the sky or fly away or do strange things.

Everyone keeps saying that, but no one has come up with a solution on how to fly without updating, given my screenshots I posted. lol
2018-8-16
Use props
Greg F
Second Officer
Australia

chugger93 Posted at 2018-8-16 04:27
Everyone keeps saying that, but no one has come up with a solution on how to fly without updating, given my screenshots I posted. lol

Perhaps the firmware has corrupted?.. Then you "really" need to do it.     If it doesn't allow you to fly then there maybe an issue with your existing software
2018-8-16
Use props
Greg F
Second Officer
Australia

What happens if you attempt to TAKE OFF by using the take off icon and sliding your finger?...   I would imagine you can still fly.     
2018-8-16
Use props
chugger93
lvl.2
United States

Greg F Posted at 2018-8-16 04:32
What happens if you attempt to TAKE OFF by using the take off icon and sliding your finger?...   I would imagine you can still fly.

naw, its like greyed out or something.
2018-8-16
Use props
Greg F
Second Officer
Australia

chugger93 Posted at 2018-8-16 06:04
naw, its like greyed out or something.

Damn...  I guess then you have to update.   
2018-8-16
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-8-14 07:24
Hi there, thank you for reaching out, regarding with your question you can still able to fly your aircraft even it's not updated, however, we recommend to update it to maximize the capability especially for those added feature you can check this for the release notes for each update https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Spark/20180719/Spark_Release_Notes_EN.pdf

What new feature? How does a remote control do a brick?
2018-8-16
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

Put your phone on airplane mode and your drone and remote will be oblivious to the existence of new software and will happily fly without nagging you to download stuff.  I'm always on airplane mode when I fly and I'm staying away from the newest software, too many problems from what I've read.
2018-8-16
Use props
chugger93
lvl.2
United States

BrandonW77 Posted at 2018-8-16 09:29
Put your phone on airplane mode and your drone and remote will be oblivious to the existence of new software and will happily fly without nagging you to download stuff.  I'm always on airplane mode when I fly and I'm staying away from the newest software, too many problems from what I've read.

I use the RC remote and otg cable, then link up .  Can I still do it this way? Even while leaving phone on airplane mode?  
2018-8-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Greg F Posted at 2018-8-16 04:32

Hi, yes it can still fly. But if example you have not yet updated the firmware or you ignored  the update. Some of the features will not be available such as Android optimization of the OTG. We do suggest to update the firmware especially if the app notified the pilot. We're here to help you with this and should you have any more queries don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2018-8-16
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-16 11:26
Hi, yes it can still fly. But if example you have not yet updated the firmware or you ignored  the update. Some of the features will not be available such as Android optimization of the OTG. We do suggest to update the firmware especially if the app notified the pilot. We're here to help you with this and should you have any more queries don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

Already in 4.1.15. version did the OTG work fine. with the newest versions that have been corrupted and have this been "optimized"?
The drone's features has not become more since then. Then why should we upgrade? Just?
2018-8-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 2018-8-16 12:16
Already in 4.1.15. version did the OTG work fine. with the newest versions that have been corrupted and have this been "optimized"?
The drone's features has not become more since then. Then why should we upgrade? Just?

HI, may I ask for the brand or make of your mobile device in which you downloaded the app?
2018-8-16
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-16 12:23
HI, may I ask for the brand or make of your mobile device in which you downloaded the app?

Huawei Mediapad T3 7" android tablet.
2018-8-16
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-8-14 07:24
Hi there, thank you for reaching out, regarding with your question you can still able to fly your aircraft even it's not updated, however, we recommend to update it to maximize the capability especially for those added feature you can check this for the release notes for each update https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Spark/20180719/Spark_Release_Notes_EN.pdf

2018-8-16
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

2018-8-16
Use props
Greg F
Second Officer
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-16 11:26

Seems to me a lot of people using Android phones/devices  experience a lot more issues than iOS users..
2018-8-16
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

You can use the modded 4.1.15 app, its block all updates and traffic to DJI server(privacy).
2018-8-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Greg F Posted at 2018-8-16 15:27
Seems to me a lot of people using Android phones/devices  experience a lot more issues than iOS users..

Hi, currently we are still at the stage of development especially for the IOS users. We will surely cascade if there's an update with this concern. Thank you .
2018-8-17
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

chugger93 Posted at 2018-8-16 11:04
I use the RC remote and otg cable, then link up .  Can I still do it this way? Even while leaving phone on airplane mode?

Yep,  I do it every time and I use an OTG too.  No mobile data is needed to fly the drone.
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 2018-8-16 12:54
Huawei Mediapad T3 7" android tablet.

Hi, unfortunately the Huawei Mediapad T3 tablet is not a fully supported device. I will be posting some of the fully compatible phones and tablets below for your reference. Thank you.

2018-8-17
Use props
chugger93
lvl.2

Even when I'm in airplane mode I get this when I load the app
Screenshot_20180817-132537.png
2018-8-17
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-17 03:31
Hi, unfortunately the Huawei Mediapad T3 tablet is not a fully supported device. I will be posting some of the fully compatible phones and tablets below for your reference. Thank you.

[view_image]

No problem is that it's not in the list because it's perfectly compatible! Everything works well in 4.1.15. version, even the OTG works!
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for bringing this query to us. It is necessary to update the firmware of the remote controller for you to have the optimized feature of the OTG feature of your remote control. You mentioned that you are trying to update using your data connection, we suggest to have it connected to a home wifi connection to have a successful update. We're here to help you with this. Thank you.
2018-8-18
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

chugger93 Posted at 2018-8-14 18:09
[view_image]Ok so here is my issue. I'm posting screenshots.  How do I get past this??

I did not write "pass", I did write "ignore: ;-)
2018-8-18
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

So far I’m flying no problem without updating and just ignoring the messages.
Might update, dunno yet.

Safe Flying.
Alex.
2018-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules