Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ipad air 2 or mini ipad? VOTE ?
123456Next >
56229 219 2015-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shed14
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6854 ft
United States

Heya fellow flyers!
so ive been piloting the P3 with me 6+phone.. and all is well.
Me old ipad 3 is in need of replacement and i bougth a new ipad air 2..
I plan to use it with my P3 among other things however before i crack the seal and no longer can get a refund/exhange on the ipad,
i just wanted to get some views on anyone that uses one or the other.. (ipad2 or mini)
Pros or cons...

Ie. Is weight an issue?
does the extra 2 inches between the two make a visual difference?
are there any recommended sunhoods for either of them?
are there any glitches with ipad/mini? (been reading some other post in the forum saying that their mini's are crashing after 6-7 mins into flight)

some helpful advice on which road to take would be super..
cheers in advance folks!

Single SelectVote, Total 1553 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-5-26
Use props
Jimw_61
lvl.1

United States

I fly mine with the iPad 2 air and love it; sunshade, make you own for under $5.00 USD.
Glue, Black Foam Core, razor knife, imagination.
2015-5-26
Use props
jeff.wyman.mac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3194669 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jimw_61 Posted at 2015-5-26 23:49
I fly mine with the iPad 2 air and love it; sunshade, make you own for under $5.00 USD.
Glue, Black  ...

I've used both.  The extra screen size,  processing power  and (slight) anti-glare of ipad Air2 make it my choice.  I did find, however, that the plastic mount did not feel great -kind wobbly.  I bought the Inspire 1 metal device holder on ebay for 20 quid and it works great.
2015-5-26
Use props
Boogieman
First Officer
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use Ipad air 2 and Ipad mini 3.  I like both the same.  If i am using my Ipad air I always use my secraft tx holder.  The weight of the ipad after flying several batteries on my Inspire kills my back.  Since I only have 1 battery for the P3 I cant fly it too long.  Both perform the same for me and again I think it will be something you might wanna try both and see.
2015-5-26
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

jeff.wyman.mac Posted at 2015-5-27 02:32
I've used both.  The extra screen size,  processing power  and (slight) anti-glare of ipad Air2 ma ...

Nice tip.

I find that the problem with the device-holder is, that the metal tightening thing very easily gets loose and then it gets wobbly. Tighten it with your fingers and ti feels solid again (for a while).

I have not tried, but perhaps something like "Loctite" might keep it from losing its friction-lock/tightness?

Inspire-holder isn't a bad idea though.
2015-5-26
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

Boogieman Posted at 2015-5-27 06:38
I use Ipad air 2 and Ipad mini 3.  I like both the same.  If i am using my Ipad air I always use my  ...

Getting a neck-strap is a must!

I wish there was an easy way to connect some sort of neck-strap that would keep the remote sitting right  without "falling over" if you take your hands off it.

I use an iPad Air but am seriously considering getting an iPad Air 2 for the less reflective screen. An iPad Mini 3 is also a consideration... But larger screen does have some advantages. Flying with my iPhone6 the screen certainly feels small (though it is a handy set-up).
2015-5-26
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-27 07:28

I wish there was an easy way to connect some sort of neck-strap  ...

Tenba camera bags sells a strap for use with shoulder bags that's got swivel snaps on both ends. The snaps are large enough to snap over the steel rail on the bottom of the controller.

The barrel fastener on the monitor holder can be held in place with clear nail polish. Loctite will be next to impossible to remove if by chance you were to break the plastic bracket.

iPad Air 2 verses iPad Mini 3: air 2 has A8x processor and different video engine. Also more ram. iPad Mini 3 fits on bracket better. 64 gb version runs $439 @ B&H in silver.
New iPads coming out soon. Rumor on street is that iPad Mini to get A8X processor and more ram. Lots of leftover iPad Mini2's around but limited to 32 gb in size.

I have custom bracket I used for nitro copter. Easy to make and keeps controls in front of you at all times.
2015-5-26
Use props
Lurvis
lvl.1

United States

I use a refurbished iPad mini 2 with antiglare screen protector and a PadHat by Hoodivision Sunshade and absolutely love it. It fits nice and uniform with the controller.
2015-5-26
Use props
Boogieman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-27 07:28

I wish there was an easy way to connect some sort of neck-strap  ...

The secraft is expensive but well worth it.  Glad I made the purchase.
2015-5-27
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.4

United States

I voted the mini because I have the air 2. It just barely fits in the holder and I had to modify the sunshade so it would fit.
Plus the cheap holder feels like it's going to snap. It's so top heavy when i let go of it (using a strap) it flips over.
Once my air 2 fell out and hit the ground, luckily it didn't break.
So I think the mini would be a better choice.
2015-5-27
Use props
knupla2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

iPad Air 2 64GB
Processor speed
Anti-glare
SCREEN SIZE - sorry, didn't mean to yell.  Old guy with old eyes.   I can work with almost anything - improvise, adapt, overcome - but if I can't see it, well, you get the idea....
2015-5-27
Use props
fhagan02
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

Just got my iPad mini 2 refurbished from apple.com. Bird arrives Friday. Fingers crossed but I've heard nothing but good things with folks using the mini 2.

PS. There was a Pilot app update today in the app store.
2015-5-27
Use props
sofagbem
lvl.1

United States

Ipad mini 3
2015-5-27
Use props
shed14
lvl.3
Australia

Awesome folks much appreciate the time for your replies..

its kinda 50/50 but,  just a little more sway to the mini by the looks of it..

i might keep my ipad in the plastic for now until i can borrow my sisters mini, and give that a test run and make a decision from there.. ill report back my findings

and also i too did notice there is a slight side to side wobble with the P3 holder.. even after tightly tightening the nut screw.  must be a common problem..
2015-5-27
Use props
mark97564
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

iPad Air won't fit in the holder on the transmitter, so i went with the iPad mini 2. The mini 3 is a waste of another $100 cuz the only difference between the iPad mini 2 and mini 3 is a useless finger print reader.. Every other specification is the same so save some cash and buy the mini 2..  Also the ppl on the iPad Air 2 is lower than the mini, so the mini 2 has quite a bit better picture, and the screen size is the only difference between the iPad Air. The air 2 has the next generation processor in it but it's not nessesary...  The A7 cpu runs the p3's app just fine..  Light bridge app or any other app also
2015-5-27
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

mark97564@gmail Posted at 2015-5-28 13:31
iPad Air won't fit in the holder on the transmitter, so i went with the iPad mini 2. The mini 3 is a ...

Not quite correct sir.

The largest capacity iPad Mini 2 is 32gb, verses 128gb for the Mini 3.

The iPad Mini 3 is available in 16, 64, and 128gb versions.

B&H had iPad Mini 3's with 64gb in silver for $439. They went up $10 in price.

Current price difference between the Mini 2 and the Mini 3 is $65.

If you ever decide to upgrade from the Mini 2-3 to a new to be introduced Mini 4, I suspect you'll get more for the Mini 3. Also the Mini 2 can't be used with Apple Pay, the Mini 3 can.
2015-5-28
Use props
mark97564
Second Officer
United States

The finger print reader is the only real difference as far as I'm concerned..  At best buy where I live it's a $100 difference and for what we use a iPad for in this hobby 16gb will be more than enough, especially with being able to use iCloud for storage.  You could also buy a 128gb sub drive and get the usb to lightning adapter if you really needed more room, and also who wants to spend more than they have to on something that is used outdoors mounted on a recent controller..  Way easier to get broke..  Plus I think anyone that needs more storage than the mini 2 offers they will most likely need a bigger screen too, and then mini 2 won't be a concern any way..  My mini 2 also stores my passwords so I just tap ok like I would have to still tap on yhe home button, useless feature..  But again for the rc hobby the mini 2 is all someone will need, iPad Air won't even fit on the rc holder

My 2 cents
2015-5-28
Use props
ntfa
Second Officer

United States

iPad Air won't fit in the holder on the transmitter, so i went with the iPad mini 2. The mini 3 is a ...

It will but I wish it had one more click of distance outwards.  I can wedge it in between the foam though.  Air 2 here.
2015-5-28
Use props
mark97564
Second Officer
United States

The air 2 must be smaller than my Gen 4 cuz that wasn't going to fit..lol. I guess I shouldn't have assumed the dimensions were the same between my Gen 4 and the air 2
2015-5-28
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

jeff.wyman.mac Posted at 2015-5-27 02:32
I've used both.  The extra screen size,  processing power  and (slight) anti-glare of ipad Air2 ma ...

I use an iPad Air 2.  It works very well.  Great suggestion on the aluminum Inspire bracket.  (ORDERED.)
2015-5-28
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

I am using an iPad Air 2.  It fits.
2015-5-28
Use props
Boogieman
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Using air 2 and it fits.  No problems.
2015-5-29
Use props
bomberuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

Stick with android for a smoother experience
2015-5-29
Use props
alienranch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 142579 ft
United States

Used Air 2 but bought a mini instead. Air 2 is just too big and heavy.
2015-6-1
Use props
shed14
lvl.3
United Arab Emirates

thanks for the replies fellas..
so am i reading correct... "the ipad air 2 DOES fit in the P3P holder"... is this statement correct?
if so then why are peeps buying the aluminum inspire holder? not sure what the benefit of aluminum over plastic... both fit the ipad air 2 true?
2015-6-1
Use props
FlyGirls
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r@mindspr Posted at 2015-5-27 09:37
Tenba camera bags sells a strap for use with shoulder bags that's got swivel snaps on both ends. Th ...

gregg -

This is what I currrently own and use specifically to operate 'the unit'.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-mini-2-with-wi-fi-cellular-128gb-at-t-space-gray-black/2557957.p?id=1219074712924&

Am I missing something? Because your statement claims this doesn't exist.
I have found my carrier will not support the 'cell' or '4k' service that this model has to offer, and will be selling this.
Idealy, I would advertise a product I know I possess, as oppossed to one that doesn't exist in the first place. Correct?
Help me to understand If I'm misunderstanding you

Cheers!!

2015-6-2
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

FlyGirls Posted at 2015-6-3 07:37
gregg -

This is what I currrently own and use specifically to operate 'the unit'.

FlyGirls,

When I look at the Apple website, the only versions of the Mini 2 they show are the 16 and 32gb versions.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/#comparison-chart

I purchased the 64gb version of the Mini 3 because it was the current model, secondly for ability to use Apple Pay, and not so much for the finger print reader.

System architecture wise, the Mini 2 and Mini 3 are identical except for the fingerprint reader/home button.  

I was always a Mac guy but when the multi-national that I worked for stopped supporting Mac, I switched to a PC.

When Verizon finally was able to sell iPhone's, I was on the firs purchase list. I didn't get into iPad's until I purchased one for my mother. If I have to play IT guy, I wanted it simple and Apple fit the bill.

Thank you for the info on the larger version iPad's, as I had checked the Apple site and the 16 and 32gb versions were all they listed. Sort of like the iPhone. When they came out with the 5S, Apple dropped the 32gb version. so it's 16, 64 or 128gb sizes.

BTW, how old is your long hair blackie? I lost my little boy a few months back. 17 YO that ran the house until a week before his kidneys shut down. Now I have a black tortie kitten.
2015-6-2
Use props
FlyGirls
lvl.4

United States

shed14 Posted at 2015-6-2 14:25
so am i reading correct... "the ipad air 2 DOES fit in the P3P holde ...

Shed-
I have the smaller mini2.
Still wobbles enough to be annoying
I Will be upgrading to the aluminum bracket mount.
There should be a recall on the current plastic version.
If it's this bad right out of the box & It will get worse,
then there'll be one day when your fed up wth it & reach for the Loctite.

try here,

http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-fix-unstable-tablet-mount.42864/

Cheers                                                                                                        

BBB

2015-6-2
Use props
Bill7259
New
Flight distance : 2807674 ft
United States

I use a mini 3 and it works great when not in direct sunlight. I would like to see another option for viewing or a fix for viewing in direct sunlight.
2015-6-3
Use props
Spankybear
Second Officer
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

Found the ipad air for 350 shipped... I think I am leaning that way
2015-6-4
Use props
SectorDrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I have the Ipad Mini 1 wifi only 16G... can I use it ? is the CPU must be fast ?  does the Tablets needs to record the video...

My p3 is comin next week.. I need to decide..pls help
2015-6-5
Use props
knupla2
lvl.4
United States

Uh - no.  Perhaps you didn't extend the holder completely.  My Air 2 is in the holder next to me at this moment.  No problems.
2015-6-5
Use props
knupla2
lvl.4
United States

shed14 Posted at 2015-6-2 14:25
so am i reading correct... "the ipad air 2 DOES fit in the P3P holde ...

You are correct.  Can't speak for others but I used a pliers to tighten the knurled nut some and it's holding ok.  People are buying the aluminum one from the Inspire because it's more stable with heavier tabs like the Air.  I have one on order.
2015-6-5
Use props
Mark97564
Second Officer
United States

The iPad Air has less pixel density  than the iPad mini 2 and 3. So if you want a better and sharper image the mini is the way to go
2015-6-7
Use props
rob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 571690 ft
United Kingdom

iPad mini 3 for me, no problems at all
2015-6-8
Use props
KittenSwagger
lvl.1

United States

I would go with the iPad Air 2. Aside from using it for your Phantom; it is a workhorse of a tablet. 2GB ram, can't go wrong. That tablet will be very useful for many years to come. That and with Multitasking coming with iOS 9 this fall; you'll be happy you got an Air 2.
2015-6-9
Use props
Victor7k
lvl.1

Canada

KittenSwagger Posted at 2015-6-9 23:01
I would go with the iPad Air 2. Aside from using it for your Phantom; it is a workhorse of a tablet. ...

+1 agreed
2015-6-9
Use props
P3PO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

iPad Mini 2 32gb wifi here. i use my iPhone hotspot to provide the WiFi needed out in the field for map. God combo of weight balance and size for me.
2015-6-9
Use props
shed14
lvl.3
Australia

nice way to "advertise" a different website..

anyways like a million readers commented in that last link..

there is NO need for the inspire metal holder!!!  
tighten the knob with pliers and problem solved!
ipad air 2 stays where its suppose to stay on the PLASTIC holder.. so dont got giving misleading advice to make people buy things they dont need.

2015-6-14
Use props
Quadtastrophe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 172267 ft
United States

SectorDrone Posted at 2015-6-5 17:30
I have the Ipad Mini 1 wifi only 16G... can I use it ? is the CPU must be fast ?  does the Tablets n ...

Mini 1 doesn't work.   Not on the compatible list.
2015-6-16
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules