Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ipad air 2 or mini ipad? VOTE ?
56372 219 2015-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 315177 ft
France

Ipad air 2 with the aluminium Inpire mount. Much better than the plastic one ! ;)
2015-6-16
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

I like using the iPad mini
2015-6-20
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

P3PO Posted at 2015-6-10 06:31
iPad Mini 2 32gb wifi here. i use my iPhone hotspot to provide the WiFi needed out in the field for  ...

Good idea!
2015-6-20
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

Shed14, you have your opinion, we have ours and all can take from it what they will. Its not misleading, your statement can be considered misleading. I HAVE (as many others have) installed the metal Inspire mount and it DID remove the wobble. I tried the "tighten with Pliers"  on the stock mount and it still wobbled. Plastic flexes, the metal one does not and doesn't require pliers to tighten. Yes, the stock plastic mount works just fine if you don't mind the wobble even when tight but if you want a more solid mount for your tablet, the metal mount is the way to go. It's $30 and I don't mind spending dollars for improving my equipment. Does seem silly for DJI to design a whole new "Plastic" part when they are already manufacturing the metal one for the inspire and adding that metal bracket to the P3 production would have brought down the cost per part.
Anyway, thats all I gotta say about that!
2015-6-23
Use props
shed14
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6854 ft
Australia

Fair enough! I may have replied to 'phantom help'  late at night and may have let off a little more steam in my tone than i should have..
Anyway each to their own i guess.. for now the plastic holder is working ok on for me wit the ipad.. who knows how long for.
When it does break i will probably buy join the band wagon and buy the metal inspire holder like you folk.
In the end, i think every P3 owner would agree that dji, for the sake of an extra $30 should have just slapped on the metal holder in the first place.. then we wouldnt of had this discussion in the first place.
anyways apologies if my tone came thru the wrong way.

fly safe peeps
2015-6-25
Use props
Danielle de Leo
New

United States

What route did you end up going?

I have the iPad mini AND the iPad Air 2. I prefer the iPad Air 2. The size of the iPad 2 is preferable, however there is a little extra weight that you have to compensate for. If you're a good pilot, it's not a big enough difference to deter you from using the iPad 2.

Regardless, you will need a sun hood because Apple was not prepared for their tablets to be used in direct sunlight ha ha The reflection off the glass is terrible.

I have looked into the topic of apps crashing. I have never had an issue with my Inspire 1 or P3P on an Apple tablet. I have had issues numerous times when using my Samsung phone though, getting messages that say, "Unfortunately, this app has stopped unexpectedly." So I would suggest going with an iOS system; Until Android improves how their apps run, at least.
2015-6-30
Use props
shed14
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6854 ft
Australia

Ended up getting Ipad air 2 64gb with cellular (for the GPS).
Works MICKEY MOUSE! (= GROUSE) (= TIP TOP, = good shit In Aussie lingo)
2015-7-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

In a small way, I feel rather silly with my indecision and undescisive methods of acquiring my keeper.
On the initial day of my Phantom 3 Pro' purchase, I headed to our local Apple Store in the nearest shopping mall and with Phantom radio in hand, tried out several new iPads. My quest was to check over all weight, balance & handling, even its over all look, & for comfort of carrying it when not attached to the Tx.
It had to be white, not black for obvious Sun star reasons. Enter much trial and more trial, I really got a good feel for these iPads while hooked up.
I wandered out the store smiling with an iPad Air 2 without cellular. Then reading more forum threads, realized that without cellular, I also was left without GPS!!
So within a week, I returned it, exchanged for an iPad Mini with cellular.  After using it, and even liking the smaller form factor, I was disappointed with the way it would quickly heat up with use.
Nothing else was running on it, just the DJI Pilot App. Also the screen glare, well standing in the sunlight was much more noticeable, actually distracting, in comparasin, than the iPad Air 2 screen reflected.
There was really only one choice, iPad Air 2 with cellular. I actually prefer the larger screen as well. And can't imagine using a smaller tablet, never mind an iPhone with a much reduced screen over all.
With much trepidation, mainly due to the much rising co$t. I had to take a 16gb job. Any larger memory, and it's pushing ever nearer to spending a $K, just for a screen and app device. That's a lot of hard earned dough out the proverbial window. So if I was to do it again, it would be to attain, a larger memory. 32gb, or perhaps even 64gb. I'll have to see what kind of memory actually gets consumed by this 4K video first.

So that was my three weeks of testing iPads. And happy to say, the iPad Air 2 is a pretty sweet piece of digital technology.
It goes well with the white Phantom 3 kit. And is much lighter weight, than its predecessor, of the same relative size.
If the IPad Mini 2/3 had a glare protector, and was finger print resistant, faster processor and ran cooler, I may have kept it.
By the way, I ordered and purchased the Inspire 1 device holder, as soon as I experienced the jiggly stock holder, that would not stay tight. Even the top screw where the unit folds for storage was continually needing tightening attention. I got tired of that and once the new metallic unit was installed, there was no more thought about it. If just works, like they all were expected. Should have been standard with all of their radios. Not sure why a designer thought plastic would be sufficient, it was not.

RedHotPoker
2015-7-3
Use props
bob.mimlitch
lvl.1

United States

I have an iPad Air and my wife has an iPad Mini 3, I have used them both and prefer the mini for reduced weight and better balance.  They both have the same screen pixel count.  Mini for me
2015-7-3
Use props
phillbarnes9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40367 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Me too. iPad air 2
2015-7-4
Use props
astanatv
lvl.2

Kazakhstan

mini 3 )))
2015-7-8
Use props
kevinr621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36427 ft
United States

Lurvis Posted at 2015-5-27 11:21
I use a refurbished iPad mini 2 with antiglare screen protector and a PadHat by Hoodivision Sunshade ...

regarding the PadHat - any issue getting it to fit in the standard holder?
2015-7-11
Use props
kevinr621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36427 ft
United States

Shed14 -> The iPad Air2 WILL fit into the controller, tight but it will lock down. I cannot use my Speck cover however so it goes into the holder naked. The Inspire 1 mobile holder is aluminum not plastic...
2015-7-11
Use props
pleare
lvl.1
Flight distance : 456378 ft
United States

I use a mini 2 without problems, no cut outs in entire flight and great picture. The smaller size is more manageable and lighter.
2015-7-28
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

BH Photo Video has a special on iPad Mini 3's, wifi only, 128 gb version, silver or gold for $499.

2015-7-28
Use props
Barnard
New

United States

I received my Phantom 3 Professional yesterday, from Amazon. Three issues:

1. No micro SD in the box.
2. DJI tech support (in China, I believe) doesn’t answer the phone. You don’t even get on hold. Email sent, nothing but a robot reply.
3. No support for the iPhone 5.

So, I’m going to buy a mobile device that’s compatible, either iPad Air 2 or a mini 3. After scanning these helpful and informative comments, I can’t decide. Maybe I should get one of each. :-)

Is it the case that a WIFI-only tablet does not support GPS? And, if so, how important is GPS?

2015-8-5
Use props
deanO Aussie
lvl.2
Australia

i just bought a ipad mini3  off gumtree for au$260 16g wifi and 4g as my samsung S6 is next to useless.  Glad to see a lot of ipad users happy with their choices.
2015-8-6
Use props
BuyDji.ca
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

trust me... the bigger, the better.

I'm having difficulties with the apple platform but, I have an AIR 2 and a Sony Z3 phone. Air 2 is way way way more productive for filming and pictures.

You can see a lot better in the large screens... well, at least I can.

Cheers.
2015-8-6
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

iPad Mini 2 32GB.  Started flying my DJI3 with iPhone 6+ and decided the display was just too small.  Bought an iPad Mini 2 yesterday for $282.00 for exclusive with DJI GO.  The display on the Mini is different and better for me compared to my iPhone.  Some of the controls change position on the Mini compared to the iPhone.  Its now easier to use the touch screen to access different functions on the display.  Leaving early this morning to fly and  I already like my new display.
2015-8-13
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-27 07:28
Getting a neck-strap is a must!

I wish there was an easy way to connect some sort of neck-strap  ...

Just get you a beer belly and that helps.
2015-8-13
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

gregg1r@mindspr Posted at 2015-5-27 09:37
Tenba camera bags sells a strap for use with shoulder bags that's got swivel snaps on both ends. Th ...

gregg1r: regarding the tenba straps. so one would put that around thewaist and hook on both ends to the rail? as well as the harness, right? to stop rc from swiveling over?
2015-8-13
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-14 14:58
gregg1r: regarding the tenba straps. so one would put that around thewaist and hook on both ends t ...

The Tenba strap attaches to the rail on the bottom and somewhat wraps around the transmitter then over your head. It balances better than using the single attachment point. My experience with the supplied point and a Air 2 was that the unit was top/back heavy.

Not sure I'd trust the Phantom transmitter attachment point, especially with a large tablet. The same goes for replacing the tablet holder with one from the Inspire.

2015-8-14
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-14 23:21
The Tenba strap attaches to the rail on the bottom and somewhat wraps around the transmitter then  ...

Ok will try, thx
2015-8-14
Use props
mfr1340
lvl.1

United States

jeff.wyman.mac Posted at 2015-5-27 02:32
I've used both.  The extra screen size,  processing power  and (slight) anti-glare of ipad Air2 ma ...

I have the Inspire1 mount, for about $25.00 on line and it is rock solid even with the New sun shade on it. Only way to go.
2015-8-15
Use props
mfr1340
lvl.1

United States

shed14 Posted at 2015-6-15 11:38
nice way to "advertise" a different website..

anyways like a million readers commented in that last ...

To tell someone to take a pair of pliers to their $1,300.00 new drone is totally wrong. I bet people who take pliers to their expensive equipment also don't follow the other good advice or rules while fling their drones. I am sure you could save a few bucks and keep your drone in a cowboard box.
I had to keep tightening the holder on mine for the first 10 flights or so, which is a real pain when doing lots of short flights and changing the batteries in between flights. The last 25 flights since I put on the Inspire1 mount, I have yett had to touch it once.
I also invested $25.00 on the range extender and the piece of mind that I get by not worrying about loss of signal.
And yes I did spend the $250.00 for the pro hard case to protect $2,500.00 worth of gear that I use to enjoy my new hobbie.
  Cost? Vs Enjoyment?    PRICELESS
2015-8-15
Use props
jdismuke73
lvl.2

United States

Mini 2 here with cellular. with inspire holder and ebay hood.
2015-8-15
Use props
DrACE
lvl.3

United States

Just got an Air2 the other day.....solid.
2015-8-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I built a handy dandy neck strap tonight, to help balance the ridiculous heavy weight of my awesome iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular.
Actually it's a very light package, the radio controller and iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular mounted above, in perfect harmony and comfort...
I was just bored, & Contemplating our excitement of Monday morning, trying to settle down. Yet, seriously Thinking about all the new possibilities.

This has been an exciting and memorable time, IN AND OF the DJI Phantom 3 realm.
Thankful to be a part of it, as it transpires and develops. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-9-4
Use props
jwatts2344
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3762346 ft
United States

still debating if i should buy ipad air or just stay with my ipad mini.

oh... i just ordered the inspire 1 holder.

thanks for that suggestion!  
2015-9-5
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Barnard Posted at 2015-8-6 01:28
I received my Phantom 3 Professional yesterday, from Amazon. Three issues:

1. No micro SD in the bo ...

You'll need gps support for the new features, poi, follow me etc.
2015-9-10
Use props
seanmotox250
lvl.1

United States

shed14 Posted at 2015-6-14 20:38
nice way to "advertise" a different website..

anyways like a million readers commented in that last ...

Uh, I have tightened that knob with pliers.  It helped but that plastic bracket is still wobbly.  Definitely not as solid as the youtube video shows the aluminum one is.  Drones Plus has one for $30.  Picking one up today.
2015-9-11
Use props
seanmotox250
lvl.1

United States

seanmotox250 Posted at 2015-9-11 10:41
Uh, I have tightened that knob with pliers.  It helped but that plastic bracket is still wobbly.   ...

Can I also jump in here as a new owner of 3 days on this topic.  Used the iPhone 6, works great other than small screen.  Yesterday used the iPad Air, huge screen, maybe too heavy, and no GPS tracking of the controller?  Do I have to have an iPad with cell capability?  I had my iPad on my iPhone hotspot for map downloads but still no controller GPS on the Flight Record.  Would I not be able to use Follow Me with an ipad then or am I missing something?  I'm looking for the most suitable iDevice as well for flying.  iPad Air seemed pretty big, I might be happier with Mini.
2015-9-11
Use props
Acecopters
lvl.1

United States

mini iPad  2 or 3 are great to use.. I tried the mini iPad with my p3 and wouldn't work, so make sure it's compatible. No need to get the iPad Air it's to heavy anyway. I also use the iPhone 6+ and it works great.. Good luck. I will eventually buy the mini iPad 3 to use as fpv by Xmas
2015-9-12
Use props
apsphoto
lvl.2

United States

air 2 all the way, easier to see what is going on, more real estate.

Alan
2015-9-12
Use props
seanmotox250
lvl.1

United States

Acecopters Posted at 2015-9-12 06:52
mini iPad  2 or 3 are great to use.. I tried the mini iPad with my p3 and wouldn't work, so make sur ...

Why the mini 3?  Almost identical to Mini 2.
2015-9-12
Use props
seanmotox250
lvl.1

United States

apsphoto Posted at 2015-9-12 08:56
air 2 all the way, easier to see what is going on, more real estate.

Alan

I've been using an Air only because my original Mini isn't supported.  Size is nice but I think the Mini would suffice and not be so heavy and bulky.  
2015-9-12
Use props
ljwsteenbergen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 959783 ft
Netherlands

I would like to use the ipad air mini for weight and balance reasons. Unfortunately my ipad mini (1st gen) does not work, tried it via installing via ifunbox, but really unworkable. Now I am using my ipad air (so the one from end 2013. Works nice, but I find it a bit top heavy. Although I am more an android person Android performance is not that brilliant. You end up with quite some latency, evn though I have a fairly fast Samsung Galaxy Tab pro 8.4". It works but latency is pretty bad, in addition the user experience on the apple version is more solid and confident. At the upcoming holiday season I would go for the ipad mini 4 (Replacing the 1st gen mini), for now I have to settle for the ipad air.
2015-9-12
Use props
Phuglie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

I like my iPad Air 2 - I suspect Apple(c) have something new up their sleeves... I don't care! Still like the iPad Air 2.
2015-9-13
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

Waiting for the Air 2 to go down in price, then I believe I'm going to bite into the forbidden fruit!
2015-9-13
Use props
vadafallon
lvl.1

United States

I have the ipad mini 2 with retina. Works great!
2015-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules