Ipad air 2 or mini ipad? VOTE ?
56428 219 2015-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dmoerman
lvl.1

United States

I was using a samsung phone originally. It worked, but it was just too small for me to see what I needed on the screen. So I got a used and refreshed (?) iPad mini 2 online for a very modest price. Since then I've gotten a few cables, and a shroud (or whatever it's called) and it's been GREAT.  The size of the (shaded) screen is perfect. Works fine on the controller.  Note that I've never before been any sort of iPerson; this is my first (and probably last) iImplement . . .  but in this configuration, it's great.
2015-9-19
Use props
Michael.patino.
lvl.2

United States

I used an iPad Air 128GB wifi+cell and switched to iPad mini 4 128GB wifi+cell. Much better fit IMO.
2015-10-11
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

But isn't the new iPad Mini 4 a real contender now with the better screen and anti glare?
2015-10-11
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

I went with the Air 2 by suggestion of a 3rd party app because it has a barometer to measure it's elevation instead of just GPS. The only Mini that has a barometer is v4, and only the Air 2 (not 1).  iPhones 5S and below also do not have barometers either. This might or might not be important to you. If you want your P3 to follow you, orbit, or hover (etc.) at a certain height above your smart device, a barometer is going to be much more accurate. It does also have the fingerprint button.  Woohoo!?

Barney
2015-10-26
Use props
zpalletta
lvl.1

Italy

Ipad mini 4 128gb wifi and cellular
2015-10-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I can't see at the best of times, so I need everything going for me, that's why I have the Air 2, the biggest screen I could fit.
2015-11-5
Use props
ziggyzoomba49
lvl.1

United States

shed14 Posted at 2015-6-2 01:25
thanks for the replies fellas..
so am i reading correct... "the ipad air 2 DOES fit in the P3P holde ...

If the holder for the P3P is the same as the Standard (and I assume it is) then it won't fit. I have an Ipad Air 2 and had to buy a new holder. Cheaper than buying a new device!
2015-11-6
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

i am now leaning toward the air2, ow maybe the air3 by the time i do buy it.  just waiting for the holiday sales to kick in.
2015-11-21
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used my IPad mini 3 and the IPhone 6 Plus,  in all honesty my iPhone performs better then the mini 3. However, I do prefer a larger screen. It's just that the mini 3 Tend to lag at times... And  there is no gps. So I have to admit my Nvidia Shield is the best to use out of all the devices I mentioned above.
2015-11-28
Use props
jonescalante5
lvl.2

United States

I have iPad Air and iPad mini 2 (same processor on both) and trying to decide which to use for my p3 standard when it arrives.  Probably start w the iPhone 6
2015-11-28
Use props
Jedipilot
New

United States

I'm debating the Air 2 and Mini 4 right now.. either will be on cell service since the price is great with a verizon plan right now. I'll have full functionality without any workarounds and the 10 bux a month doesn't bother me after saving a couple hundred on the tab,

Anyone with experience on the Air 2 , and Mini 4, i would love to hear your thoughts..  I could get the mini 2 and save even more. This will be a designated flight tablet only...I have no other apple experience but i do want the tab that performs best with this particular set up
2015-12-1
Use props
jayhkr
lvl.4

United States

I bought an Ipad 2 JUST for my P3A. Made my own sunshade using black foam type cardboard bought at Walmart. LOVE IT! Had the HTC One 8 prior and had CINSTANT video issues. Not a single problem with the air 2 but cant chime in on the mini.
2015-12-3
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

just got the iphone 6s and air2.  love them both, been flying both all week.  the air2 is heavy and could fall out of the grip, but i like it.  the iphone is good for quick shots.
2015-12-3
Use props
JonE5
lvl.2

United States

I have both an iPad mini 2 and an iPad Air. (Both A7 processor)

Trying to decide what bracket holder  size to get for my P3S.

I am leaning towards the mini.

Seems that if it is a wifi model them no maps on the Dji go app?
2015-12-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

ziggyzoomba49 Posted at 2015-11-6 01:21
If the holder for the P3P is the same as the Standard (and I assume it is) then it won't fit. I hav ...

The Phantom 3 Pro' device holder just fits on my iPad Air 2. You may need to extend the holder by hand the extra bit. Sometimes when you press the release button, the jaws only open to nearly full extension, so hold the button in , and gently pull up on the top piece. It should extend just a tad more, certainly enough to hold the Air 2. Heck, it's the top choice, & best working device in the lot.

The only one that will blow this incredible unit out of the water, will be the iPad Air 3 128gb Cellular. ;-)
Who knows when Apple Corp., will finally release thee mighty beast upon us.

RedHotPoker
2015-12-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

If the holder for the P3P is the same as the Standard (and I assume it is) then it won't fit. I hav ...

The Phantom 3 Pro' device holder just fits on my iPad Air 2. You may need to extend the holder by hand the extra bit. Sometimes when you press the release button, the jaws only open to nearly full extension, so hold the button in , and gently pull up on the top piece. It should extend just a tad more, certainly enough to hold the Air 2. Heck, it's the top choice, & best working device in the lot.

The only one that will blow this incredible unit out of the water, will be the iPad Air 3 128gb Cellular. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-12-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RedHotPoker
2015-12-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Say what? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-12-17
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

Ipad air 2 , I like the bigger picture.
2015-12-19
Use props
0DRK3RT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136946 ft
United States

Just flew 2 batteries through my P3A, using the IPad Air 2 for the first time. All firmware updates installed, no issues whatsoever.

The Air 2 literally JUST fits in the holder. I must say, from a 6+ to this larger screen makes GO a way better experience.  It looks pretty neat when mounted to the RC too. A guy at the park today saw me flying it and  asked "Is that a new Apple drone??" Lol.
2015-12-29
Use props
Jack Fedele
lvl.2

United States

Smaller is a bit better for on the go. It is also better for daily use.
2015-12-29
Use props
jnatividad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure if anyone has already posted about these accessories, but I have found this is my sweet spot setup that allows for extended flight time comfort all day using an iPad Air 2 with my P3P and hopefully someone here might also find this useful:

1. Inspire 1 metal mobile device holder (Which many others have already mentioned and is perfect to handle the extra weight!)

2. Bestem Zero Gravity Harness - I absolutely love this remote controller harness! A little on the pricey side, but worth every penny IMO. http://www.amazon.com/Bestem-BT- ... rness/dp/B011N94AI4

3. Controller knobs for P3P remote(great for the way I fly using my pointer fingers & thumbs for a bit more nuanced control when recording video footage) http://www.amazon.com/Bestem-BT- ... C6QR15W8954MJ2S21JQ

4. 1 ft. Lightning cable (perfect length to connect my Air2 to the controller without all that excess cable length all over the place) http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-In ... C6QR15W8954MJ2S21JQ

5. White matching sunshade for the iPad Air2 (Nice for reducing glare on my Air2's screen on sunny days) http://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Su ... 43MQJVY7RF6RE86MZGP

Hope this helps anyone out there still looking to spend all their holiday money!
2015-12-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jack Fedele Posted at 2015-12-30 12:23
Smaller is a bit better for on the go. It is also better for daily use.

Nah, BIGGER has always been better... in everything
2015-12-31
Use props
Petersonnn
lvl.1

Hungary

jnatividad@gmai Posted at 2015-12-30 19:59
Not sure if anyone has already posted about these accessories, but I have found this is my sweet spo ...

Reális like these solutions.

Already ordered the dji pants though... :/

Has anyone tried Ipad Air2 with smart cover which protects the tablet. Does it fit the inspire/phantom device holder?
2016-1-6
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

i use the ipad mini 4 (128/4G) and it fits perfect on the RC (a little bit better then an Air)
2016-1-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
Second Officer

United States

I think the mini is the perfect size.
2016-1-7
Use props
nixdiecast
lvl.2

United States

I use a iPad Air 2 64 w/cellular, fits in holder , thin, not heavy and no problems for me.
2016-1-8
Use props
ziggyzoomba49
lvl.1

United States

jnatividad@gmai Posted at 2015-12-30 13:59
Not sure if anyone has already posted about these accessories, but I have found this is my sweet spo ...

How about this one? Not as bulky and slides on. My problem is my Ipad Air 2 screen doesn't get bright enough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/i-Pad-AI ... :g:fiwAAOSw3xJVXRN6
2016-1-8
Use props
ziggyzoomba49
lvl.1

United States

Petersonnn Posted at 2016-1-6 18:47
Reális like these solutions.

Already ordered the dji pants though... :/

Ipad Air 2 won't fit in the holder that comes on the controller. I had to buy a holder for it.
2016-1-8
Use props
nixdiecast
lvl.2

United States

ziggyzoomba49 Posted at 2016-1-9 02:25
Ipad Air 2 won't fit in the holder that comes on the controller. I had to buy a holder for it.

If anyone is looking for a shorter usb cable to use with air 2. I use a Anker 1' cable and it is perfect.
2016-1-9
Use props
Lincoln
lvl.1

United States

Mini 4 64GB works great for me. I think it's a personal preference more then anything.
2016-1-9
Use props
usmaleky
New

United States

Ipad mini 4
2016-1-13
Use props
tetuanrp
lvl.1
Malaysia

I actually can't use an iPad Mini with my P3S, and wondering if anyone else has the same issue. I've posted in the forum but no response.

My entire city is basically a no fly zone when using app on IPad, but when on iPhone it's fine. So that means no flying with iPad, which makes the iPad completely useless.

See these pictures of app with iPhone and iPad. Same area, but iPad has MASSIVE no fly zones.

2016-1-14
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

i love the air2.  it makes the RC unit/monitor top heavy so be prepared.  the display on the mini is okay, but i like the extra space.  
2016-1-19
Use props
ChrisC
lvl.2

United States

Ipad Air 2 is best , you can see so much better , easier to fly , don't use the silly neck strap , it will pull on you.
Use a real shoulder harness that go's across your back , like the DJI one or any brand and you won't even know the controller and ipad air 2 is there.
You can just let go of it and it will just hang there. Don't be Cheap , get the one with cell , so you can use all the cool Functions.
I never used them , but i hear you need cell service for some of the follow me things and map catching out in the field. But not 100% sure.
others know more about that , than i would.
2016-1-19
Use props
Chicago Air Dro
lvl.2

United States

Ipad Air 2 is our choice GREAT picture... do not know how folks can use a phone.
I tried a phone and couldn't see a thing.

However I  hate the way the tablet wobbles I was afraid the tablet was going to break off the controller.
This new aluminum bracket does work great I cant say enough about it.

faadronedecals.com
2016-1-28
Use props
dmcman73
lvl.1

United States

i know this wasn't asked but, go with a Nexus 7. Save yourself a ton of cash and use the rest to buy additional batteries. I've been using a Nexus 7 and it works great.
2016-1-29
Use props
Stanley Fredrik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 148556 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I bought iPad mini 2 with cellular.
2016-1-30
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

So do you need cellular contract in order to use an iPad air 2 or will just having a Sim card installed work?
2016-1-30
Use props
GameOfDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

Also everyone remember that only the cellular versions of the iPads have a GPS receiver which is needed for better homeport settings and to use things like "Follow me" (without getting a GPS adapted).
2016-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules