Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Feature Requests for the Ronin App
2628 26 2018-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ElGimby
lvl.1
Germany

Hi DJI team,

i would like to submit the following feature requests for the Ronin-S / Ronin-App:

• it would be a great feature to be able to add bezier curves to the control points in a Motionlapse to make the movement more smooth if you use more than 2 control points
  • please make the iOS App universal, which would make editing control points much easier (due to the larger screen on iPads)
  • please allow to edit the angles for individual control points by numbers, not just by dragging the dots in the grid – this would allow to edit on a more fine-grained level. The app already allows to edit pan/tilt/roll parameters using popovers. why not make the angle-values editable using popovers as well?

Thanks for listening.

Best regards.
2018-8-14
Use props
BayouFeller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2533 ft
United States

Also. would love the ability to store/retrieve tracks!
2018-8-14
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Very nice hardware. Software could be a bit optimized:

Feature request:
- improve the "Track" feature, make it possible to save positions from "push pan" like in the other modes. Also make the motion time longer than 30mins..
- option for more user profiles with total number of 6 using leds 3+1, 3+2 and 3+2+1
- REC start/stop and focus via USB for Sony a7RIII and a7III since these already support focus by wire using Sony Imaging Edge software
- could the user mode leds be overpowered even for short time (after changing the mode). Outdoors in sunlight the led status is impossible to be seen

Please solve following bugs:
- enter standby immediately after enabling it and stop powering motors. Unhanding the handgrip after standby let´s the grip rotate 2-3secs after enabling standby, spreading the legs of the tripod and maybe hitting things.
- sometimes gimbal doesn´t wake up from standby
- improve the PT1 algorithm, settling of motion takes forever, maybe also result in mediocre motor control if used with the same algorithm
- torch roll mode is actually limited to horizontal use, even when tilt follow is enabled. It´s not possible to roll the camera when the grip is tilted (stairways up/down).
- battery is powered by a single press and is activated accidently quite often. Better use the method as with Phantom 3/4 batteries. For power down it´s already used in this way.
2018-8-14
Use props
JasonPictures
lvl.4
Flight distance : 289341 ft
Switzerland

Nice idea! Hopefully they will note that.
2018-8-14
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi ElGimby, thanks for reaching us. These requests will be forwarded to our engineers for review. Hope more features will be available in the future.
2018-8-15
Use props
maisen20
lvl.3
  • >>>
Switzerland

- How about to show the live video-feed from the camera (Canon Eos 5D Mark iv for example) in the app?

- How about to track objects/persons, like it works on the mavic, in the app?
2018-8-15
Use props
ElGimby
lvl.1
Germany

maisen20 Posted at 2018-8-15 10:01
- How about to show the live video-feed from the camera (Canon Eos 5D Mark iv for example) in the app?

- How about to track objects/persons, like it works on the mavic, in the app?

Although i value your input, i doubt this will ever be implemented. Camera signal is too camera specific and there are way too many cameras out there to support all of them. Monitoring is something that can already be done using Canon's EOS Remote app.
Also i can't imagine how you hold your phone while operating your gimbal (other than attaching the phone as an external monitor to the gimbal).
Tracking objects/persons is usually the operator's job, that's what camera operators do, don't they? ;)
2018-8-15
Use props
ElGimby
lvl.1
Germany

Roland Schulz Posted at 2018-8-14 14:08
Very nice hardware. Software could be a bit optimized:

Feature request:

Nice! Count me in for the "save Track" feature and the double-long-press for turning the battery on.
2018-8-15
Use props
ElGimby
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-8-15 01:51
Hi ElGimby, thanks for reaching us. These requests will be forwarded to our engineers for review. Hope more features will be available in the future.

Hi DJI Susan,

thanks a lot for forwarding my requests. Looking forward to see them in the app. This would improve the already great Ronin-S even more.

I need to correct myself as i made a little mistake when posting about the bezier curves:bezier curves would make sense when having 2 or more (not more than 2) control points for easing in/out.
2018-8-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

ElGimby Posted at 2018-8-15 22:54
Hi DJI Susan,

thanks a lot for forwarding my requests. Looking forward to see them in the app. This would improve the already great Ronin-S even more.

You are welcome. If there is anything else we can help, feel free to contact us.
2018-8-16
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

There seems another bug in the iOS app or firmware:
Restore gimbal defaults does only reset user SmoothTrack settings of profile 1, not 2 and 3.
Can anyone verify this?
2018-8-17
Use props
ElGimby
lvl.1
Germany

Roland Schulz Posted at 2018-8-17 23:47
There seems another bug in the iOS app or firmware:
Restore gimbal defaults does only reset user SmoothTrack settings of profile 1, not 2 and 3.
Can anyone verify this?

I think you should open another thread posting the bugs you found instead of highjacking a thread that is completely unrelated to your topic. This is about feature requests. No offense, just saying…
2018-8-22
Use props
WakingLife
lvl.3
United States

These are great! I don't know if its possible but my request is:

- A star tracker! Gimbal moves with the stars for long exposure
2018-8-22
Use props
ElHolyCow
lvl.1
Germany

WakingLife Posted at 2018-8-22 07:44
These are great! I don't know if its possible but my request is:

- A star tracker! Gimbal moves with the stars for long exposure

Great idea! I tried something like this recently: plan the movement of the stars using an app like Star Walk or Sky Guide (angle/time change), then roughly set start- end endpoint of the gimbal movement to the appropriate directions (point of interest) and set the duration of the motion to the duration it takes the stars to move the distance. Of course, this is only an estimation and it could be much more precise with a real star tracker feature. But it turned out quite well for something bigger like the milky way. For deep space photography this solution will not be accurate enough
2018-8-23
Use props
Haxorious
lvl.2
Vietnam

I want to pitch in and add another feature request, this is kinda short and minimal so I won't make a separate topic

When you control the gimbal using your phone, you can pan, tilt and rotate the gimbal just like using the joystick. BUT THERE'S NO RESET BUTTON. I have my gimbal placed on the roof for an artistic video shot, and everytime I fail a shot, I HAVE TO CLIMB UP THE ROOF AND RESET IT BY DOUBLE TAPPING THE TRIGGER, EVERYTIME.
2018-8-24
Use props
ElHolyCow
lvl.1
Germany

Haxorious Posted at 2018-8-24 09:59
I want to pitch in and add another feature request, this is kinda short and minimal so I won't make a separate topic

When you control the gimbal using your phone, you can pan, tilt and rotate the gimbal just like using the joystick. BUT THERE'S NO RESET BUTTON. I have my gimbal placed on the roof for an artistic video shot, and everytime I fail a shot, I HAVE TO CLIMB UP THE ROOF AND RESET IT BY DOUBLE TAPPING THE TRIGGER, EVERYTIME.

Valid point, the reset button is missing indeed. You always have to get back to the gimbal and double press the button at the front to reset its position.

@DJI Susan could you please forward this (and the other added feature requests in this thread to the dev-team, please?

Also Haxorious brought me to an idea: you can control the gimbal using the virtual joystick which is nice, but how about you could control the gimbal by rotating your phone in 3d-space using the gyro? Not always but maybe when pressing and holding a virtual button and then moving it around.  I think this would be a killer feature if it's done right.
2018-8-24
Use props
Haxorious
lvl.2
Vietnam

ElHolyCow Posted at 2018-8-24 10:11
Valid point, the reset button is missing indeed. You always have to get back to the gimbal and double press the button at the front to reset its position.

@DJI Susan could you please forward this (and the other added feature requests in this thread to the dev-team, please?

Haha, basically a $1200 DJI Force Pro (https://www.dji.com/force-pro), but...for free
But yes, I think it's totally possible to use the phone's accelerometers to control the gimbal. Drones have had this feature for a long time, heck, even mobile games. The problem is, I don't think DJI would do this and cannibalize the DJI Force Pro sales.
2018-8-25
Use props
Moni Johnson
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

maisen20 Posted at 2018-8-15 10:01

- How about to track objects/persons, like it works on the mavic, in the app?

The camera the Mavic (and other DJI drones use) is designed to work specifically with the app. What you suggest would be great. However, it's not practical.  There are many cameras out there that this gimbal can support. Also supporting those cameras for video feed in the app is a long shot.
2018-8-26
Use props
ElHolyCow
lvl.1
Germany

Haxorious Posted at 2018-8-25 23:30
Haha, basically a $1200 DJI Force Pro (https://www.dji.com/force-pro), but...for free
But yes, I think it's totally possible to use the phone's accelerometers to control the gimbal. Drones have had this feature for a long time, heck, even mobile games. The problem is, I don't think DJI would do this and cannibalize the DJI Force Pro sales.

Yes, why not… I don't think using the accelerometer would/should be as precise as the Force Pro. Because a human being can't control the phone's movement as precise as when using a wheel (on the Force Pro), to prevent the gimbal from stuttering it needs to follow with a higher deadband. That would make a difference for both solutions. If you want 100% precise control, buy a Force Pro ;)
2018-8-29
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

Haxorious Posted at 2018-8-24 09:59

When you control the gimbal using your phone, you can pan, tilt and rotate the gimbal just like using the joystick. BUT THERE'S NO RESET BUTTON. I have my gimbal placed on the roof for an artistic video shot, and everytime I fail a shot, I HAVE TO CLIMB UP THE ROOF AND RESET IT BY DOUBLE TAPPING THE TRIGGER, EVERYTIME.

What about going to the settings menu and press „Recenter“ there??
2018-8-29
Use props
RMS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62077 ft
Australia

Couple of questions / requests for the App regarding the 'track' function for motion control type things-
1- Is there any way to zoom the window which shows the way points, to give finer control, I'd like to use the gimbal with a motorised slider for a ping pong type move, but the scale is too big to set up a pan say +/- 5 or 10 degrees, or can you use 'push' with the track feature to set way points?
2- Is there a way to ease in / ease out into & out of the waypoints, rather than just a constant pan / tilt speed?

If none of the above is possible can it be made so?...

Cheers
Mark
2018-9-13
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

+1, but I think DJI has to wipe out some other problems first...
2018-9-13
Use props
SBP
lvl.1
Romania

+1 add bezier curves to the control points in a Motionlapse
2018-10-10
Use props
djiuser_Nd6F3eOYV01A
lvl.2
Netherlands

+1 to the bezier curves
+2 to the star tracker idea!
2018-10-10
Use props
danallen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34567 ft
United States

- I second the option to have 6 profiles. 3 isn't bad, but it sometimes you need specific settings. Maybe profiles 4-6 can be a red led with a long press of the M button.
- Please add Blackmagic Pocket 4k bluetooth control for record and focus control
- More controls for the focus motor add-on (e.g. focus wheel throw (turning ratio for non-cinema lenses))

Thank you DJI, this is an awesome gimbal. I built mini gimbals with Alexmos, but this thing is an engineering marvel for such a great price.
2019-1-10
Use props
JuriV
lvl.1

Netherlands

My idea:

Add the possibility to the app to control camera shutter speed, ISO and aperture, while shooting a time lapse. Or an automated option for ramping shutter/ISO.
2019-4-7
Use props
djiuser_4KedccUgVb1U
New

United Kingdom

BayouFeller Posted at 2018-8-14 11:48
Also. would love the ability to store/retrieve tracks!

Yes please, me too. I am filming tracked pans in an architectural project over 12 weeks and want to save and repeat the tracking program to use 12 times.
2021-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules