? Cheapest drone to practice ATTI mode with?
3990 21 2018-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

For those who have bought and practiced with a cheap ATTI (fly by seat of your pants) Mode drone, what was make / model?  

Same question but add on most basic camera as requirment - to allow for FPV practice.

Follow on questions to make / model:
Was drone rugged?  (Survive bumps, tumbles or minor crashes)
Would you say it flew similar enough to Spark / Mavic Air / Mavic Pro to give you confidence to fly those drones should they switch to ATTI mode?
Could you easily repair drone  (Duck tape, Super glue, ...)?   Could you get parts (props, leg, ...)?

Thus far suggested cheap crash Drones:
Blade Torrent 110
Cheerson C10W
Eachine E58
JJRC H 31
Syma X5C-1 or X5SW
Visuo 809S
WL Toys  Q333 or V686

2018-8-14
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Look up WL TOYS  drones...Check Amazon....

They have many, and some are quite good for your purposes.  $30 to $100
2018-8-14
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

You could try the Blade Torrent 110 by Horizon Hobby.
2018-8-14
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

First drone I owned was about 40.00  got hung up so many times in trees  and buildings,  once it was hung up in a tree and I shot the limb in order to cut it down with a 12 gauge shotgun, would not do that with my MP
2018-8-14
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Jjrc h 31 waterproof drone Excellent atti trainer. 3 speed 100m range,. Best crash test drone out there and it's waterproof.
$ 30 on amazon, put a 25m 5.8 camera on top replace the 400 mah battery with a rubber band and a 750 mah battery and let the games begin.
This is the drone I learned to fly my racers.
2018-8-14
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 2018-8-14 16:04
First drone I owned was about 40.00  got hung up so many times in trees  and buildings,  once it was hung up in a tree and I shot the limb in order to cut it down with a 12 gauge shotgun, would not do that with my MP

Shooting a drone down with a shotgun. My man, I want to party with you.
2018-8-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Been looking and looking.
Came up with these from similar threads suggesting ATTI Learning Drones:  (If anybody has experience with one these, feel free to comment)

- Focus F1RC007
- HUBSAN X4
- Holy Stone HS200  (added 08/16)
- Syma Toys X5C-1

In running...
- Beautymei E-moji RC

2018-8-14
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

2018-8-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-14 18:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjRMtlfo2Hc

Impressive little drone and impressive flying.  My own drone flying is pretty laid back in comparison.
2018-8-14
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Same with me but that guy makes it look so easy.

2018-8-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Syma x5C-1
Syma x5SW
Both great little drones to practice with, they both come with cameras but no need for them, footage is unusable and fpv, well they don’t fly very far away and practice for Atti mode is far better between controller and aircraft, there both made of a soft plastic so very durable come with guards and xtra props, batteries last about 5/6 minutes. Everyone wanting to hone their skill of flying should pick up one of these.
2018-8-15
Use props
Roundhouse_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13228 ft
Netherlands

cheerson c10W, really fun little things and if you can race this thing across the room you ca pilot a dji for sure.
2018-8-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Here's my favorite
2018-8-15
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Eachine E58 or Visuo 809S

Get the cheap camera model because even the 720p versions stink. for video.  For flying, they are nice. 8-9 min flight time, and very stable hover with 3 speed modes.
great craft to learn how to fly and not have to fight to hover like other non hovering drones.

H31 is a fun drone, but  you will burn through 10 batteries just trying to hover.
2018-8-15
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Tello hands down is the best little  $100 drone
2018-8-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Thanks All!  Updated List.

Left off Tello because of its Intelligent Flight.  Thus muting point of getting a drone to practice ATTI mode (fly by seat of your pants).  If there is a way to switch Tello to ATTI mode - please let me know, I will add it to list.
2018-8-15
Use props
MikaEr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41598 ft

I bought  Eachine E58 for first drone before Mavic Air.
Fun little toy  to fly and have crashed it side of a building , trees and ground couple of times .
Still flies with original props and no damage on hull. And will keep flying it now and then just for fun of it.
2018-8-15
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

flight simulator
2018-8-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

No work-e.
2018-8-15
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I purchased a tello purely for internal flying to further improve drone manual controls, flying round the house. It's great and an invaluable tool as far as I am concerned, that said wouldn't attempt to fly it in wind, even a breeze would cause issues, it is tiny but an ideal internal drone.
2018-8-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Wanted to thank everyone, everyone for input on this thread.

Got a good deal on a Fly more, Crash more drone with FPV camera (spare props and extra batteries).   Haven't yet tested camera.  Started practicing without camera as suggested.

Maiden flight in kitchen was pretty much bump into things.  But it let me verify drone would fly before I started modifing drone's RC Left/Right Joystick functions.

Made a quick modification to control IC's legs to foil run connections on main board.  Swapped two of input pins, from output of Left U/D pot with output of Right U/D pot.  
Practice ATTI crashing drone's RC Joysticks now work like Mode-1 of Mavic Pro.  (Drone came with Mode-2 Joysticks configuration.)  Which will help in an ATTI emergency, being Joysticks will have same function.

Second flight was outside which was a whole lot easier with modification swap, plus more open space.  No bumping into things out there.  But there always is tomorrow.

Again thanks to All.   Hope this thread is of use to others looking for practice ATTI crash drone.
2018-8-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

For those who buy a practice crash drone (ATTI only mode), and you get to where you can fly it inside or when there is no wind.

Move outside on day with a light breeze (5-mph).    Need more of a challenge?

Try flying in a friend's yard with high privacy fence or wall, couple of trees, and two-story house; on a day with a light breeze.
Depending on where drone is at in yard, air currents can be straight, swirling, updraft, downdraft, buffeted, or nothing.

Suggestion: Take an extending Christmas lights hanging pole with you to get drone down from lower limbs of trees.
2018-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules