iPad Mini 2 WiFi Only
9530 24 2015-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KingPaul
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone and let me start off with the fact that I just got my P3P last Thursday and my first flight was Saturday.

With that being stated, I've been reading through the different threads on the different tablets and I can't seem to get an answer.  The Android tablets seem great however everything I have is Mac so it doesn't make any sense to go down that road.  I'm looking at the iPad Mini 2 with WiFi only however I want to know if I will lost any fuctions that I get with my iPhone 5s because the Mini 2 doesn't have a GPS?  

KingPaul
2015-5-26
Use props
espinosa.josero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8320 ft
United States

You are not going to be available to see the map.. that's it.. I have an Ipad Air with just WIFI... and compared to an iphone or ipad with internet that's just the difference.

Be sure to turn OFF the wifi on every flight.

2015-5-26
Use props
TonyMF
lvl.2

Canada

espinosa.josero Posted at 2015-5-26 23:50
You are not going to be available to see the map.. that's it.. I have an Ipad Air with just WIFI...  ...

I just picked up a new wifi-only Ipad mini 2 after already trying the Android version on my Oneplus cell phone. Both versions show the map, the ios being apple maps while android uses google. I also always leave the wifi on with the ipad while flying.

Why do you say that there are no maps and to make sure to turn off wifi when flying? Is there something I'm missing here?
2015-5-26
Use props
Lurvis
lvl.2

United States

I got a refurbished iPad mini 2 wifi only and downloaded Google Maps and saved an offline map for where I'll be flying just in case regular Apple maps don't work. I honestly don't know which app my iPad is pulling the maps from but it works so I'm happy with it.  Also the iPad mini 2 is practically the perfect uniform fit compared to the bigger Air 2.
2015-5-26
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

And..Later the new pilot will support home point setting, it will based on the your device GPS location.
2015-5-26
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

King Paul, or anyone else for that matter-
I have a mini 2 w/ wifi & cell, 128g that I purchased specifically for the p3.  
Only come to find my carrier does not support the cell/4k for this particular device.
So Im looking to sell it. If your interested.   
2015-5-27
Use props
espinosa.josero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8320 ft
United States

TonyMF Posted at 2015-5-27 11:02
I just picked up a new wifi-only Ipad mini 2 after already trying the Android version on my Oneplus ...

Same frecuency... 2.4... It may interfere on the comunication P3-RC.

That is what the manual says.
2015-5-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also have the iPad mini 2 with wifi only.  I either cache the maps of where I will be flying when at home on my wifi network or I use my Android phone as a wifi hotspot and download at the field.  Both ways work.  The App pulls GPS from the P3 so that is not an issue either.
2015-5-27
Use props
TonyMF
lvl.2

Canada

espinosa.josero Posted at 2015-5-28 03:06
Same frecuency... 2.4... It may interfere on the comunication P3-RC.

That is what the manual says ...

Ok I just tested my setup again and I think I figured it out. I had the Mini2 tethered to my phone while flying which is why the maps loaded up.

I've looked online some more and found some older posts from the inspire crowd and they recommended tethering when setting up and then setting to airplane mode once maps are loaded.

So I'm wondering then, are there any hazards with using a tablet with mobile sim card? Would the safest thing to use be setting your tablet/phone to airplane mode before taking off or is this overkill?

To take it one step further, are there any hazards that have been reported or potential for interference if there are other phones with wifi on close to the transmitter while its in use?

What would the benefit be if any to using a tablet/phone connected with a mobile plan while flying?
2015-5-27
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 03:48
I also have the iPad mini 2 with wifi only.  I either cache the maps of where I will be flying when  ...

Tahoe_Ed, I just received my iPad mini 2 WiFi only today. (My P3P arrives Friday.) How exactly do you "cache maps" or is this something that's obvious once you have the Phantom connected to you device?

Thanks and sorry if this is a 101 question. Just wanna be prepared.
2015-5-27
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

hmm now I could be wrong, but don't you need GPS (i.e. cellular iPad) in order to set the home point to the device?
2015-5-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-5-28 07:25
Tahoe_Ed, I just received my iPad mini 2 WiFi only today. (My P3P arrives Friday.) How exactly do y ...

Four dots upper right corner.  Under general settings you see a slider to activate cache map in background.  Open the app when you have wifi service.  You will be able to see the map for your current location.  Scroll to where you are going to fly and zoom down to the lowest level of detail.  When you get to the site and connect to the P3 your cached map will show up.
2015-5-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Alterastro Posted at 2015-5-28 07:34
hmm now I could be wrong, but don't you need GPS (i.e. cellular iPad) in order to set the home point ...

You are correct you need GPS on the device to use the set home point feature.  If I need it, I can set my Android phone as a wifi hot spot and get GPS then.
2015-5-27
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 12:20
Four dots upper right corner.  Under general settings you see a slider to activate cache map in ba ...

Great. Thank you sir!
2015-5-28
Use props
shed14
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6854 ft
Australia

heya folks,
ive been reading posts relating to the original post question for the last 2 hrs and it seems everyone is dodging the real question..
The question asked is ..
DO I NEED AN IPAD WITH GPS INBUILT (Ie wifi+cellular)??

Everyone seems to get caught up on the maps and caching but that is not the issue....  YES you can just hotspot the ipad (wifi only) and you will have your maps but that is not the benefit of having a IPAD with GPS inbuilt..

I finally realised that YES you do need an IPAD (wifi +cellular model) which comes with inbuild GPS if you want the app to locate "YOUR" current physical position... ie where you ARE standing! Not where the phantom is located.

Yes the phantom has a GPS

But if you want to move(walk) to a new location with your controller in hand, you clearly need a GPS to plot/follow your current location where you physically are standing or moving to..
The IPAD without GPS cannot give you this information.

People are saying that the "CONTROLLER" has inbuilt GPS but there is no source material to confirm this. If this were the case then NO your IPAD would not need to have a GPS.

However im am 99.99% sure there is not GPS in the controller so that means there is no way for the app to locate your physical  "STANDING" position unless its uses the GPS in your IPAD (wifi+cell model)

IF anyone out there has an IPAD AIR (2) wifi only model and can test this scenario out please reply with your findings and proove me wrong..

I have been searching the answers because i made the mistake of buying the ipad wifi model. And only to realise that i will not be able to reset any new home point if i move the controller to a new location unless my ipad has gps to provide the new location info to the app.

Once again if i am wrong please share your findings

cheers
Harvey

2015-5-28
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 12:21
You are correct you need GPS on the device to use the set home point feature.  If I need it, I can  ...

So just to clarify...

You can have Wifi turned on, on the iPad (using a cell phone as the mobile hot spot) and there's no conflict with the WiFi signal of the P3 system? Many have posted something like, "Make sure you turn the WiFi off on the iPad as it's signal could conflict with the P3's WiFi causing communication problems"
OR.. are you saying to use the WiFi hot spot trick once on site. Cache the map before powering up the P3. Then turn the iPad Wifi off and continue with power up and flight?
2015-5-28
Use props
Krafty
lvl.1

Singapore

I have been through the manual twice and cannot find anything about switching wifi off for the P3. I thought the P3 wasn't controlled/FPV through wifi. Can you confirm why wifi should be switched off or where it says it in the manual? Cheers
2015-5-28
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Krafty Posted at 2015-5-29 05:57
I have been through the manual twice and cannot find anything about switching wifi off for the P3. I ...

Maybe you're looking at the wrong manual?

From the DJI Safety Guidelines Manual, page 11.

"Interference with Flight Controller, Communications, and Positioning Systems
1) Fly in open areas. Tall buildings or steel structures may affect the accuracy of the on-board compass and block the GPS signal.
2) Avoid interference between the remote controller and other wireless equipment. Make sure to turn off the Wi-Fi on your mobile device.
3) Do NOT fly near areas with magnetic or radio interference. These include but are NOT limited to: high voltage lines, large scale power transmission stations or mobile base stations and broadcasting towers. Failing to do so may compromise the transmission quality of this product or cause remote controller and video transmission errors which may affect flight orientation and location accuracy. The aircraft may behave abnormally or go out of control in areas with too much interference."
2015-5-28
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

You can always buy a WiFi  iPad and add a external bluetooth GPS if you want to use maps.  I use the Garmin GLO with an iPad Air 2.  It works fine.  http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Por ... eywords=iPas+garmin

However lately I have been reluctant to enable ANY other radios including WiFi or Bluetooth on the iPad.  (I put it in airplane mode while using DJI to avoid radio conflicts with the DJI controller.)
2015-5-28
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-5-28 07:25
Tahoe_Ed, I just received my iPad mini 2 WiFi only today. (My P3P arrives Friday.) How exactly do y ...

" or is this something that's obvious once you have the Phantom connected to you device? "

Nothing will be obvious once you have the Phantom

Cheers

BBB

2015-6-3
Use props
FlyGirl
lvl.3

United States

shed14 Posted at 2015-5-28 21:47
heya folks,
ive been reading posts relating to the original post question for the last 2 hrs and it  ...

Harvey -

I'm still here & still have that Mini2 I've been trying to sell-  wifi/cell. Lovely unit, 128GB.

Cheers!!
Back at you

2015-6-3
Use props
PerryG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 629262 ft
United States

So, I'm getting ready to buy my first quad-copter (The P3 Pro) and I'm trying to figure out what to get for a screen. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10, but I think that's too big, and I think there are issues with the OS working properly. I'm trying to stay under a $300 budget and am looking at either an iPad Mini 2 (I like having the bigger screen) or an iPhone 5S.  If I understand the conversation here if I wanted to get an iPad Mini 2 it needs to have the cellular option so that it has an on-board GPS? I should also opt for as much storage on it I can afford. What is that storage needed for? Isn't the video and stills stored on the on-board P3's SD card? Does anyone prefer an iPhone over a tablet? Will the iPhone 5S keep up with any future controllers DJI pilot app? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks.....
2015-6-16
Use props
incog 9
lvl.1

United States

Does the ipad mini 2, wifi only, operate all the new apps included in DJI GO ver. 2.0.0, follow, waypoints etc. ?
2015-10-30
Use props
todor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2192221 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

incog 9 Posted at 2015-10-30 21:29
Does the ipad mini 2, wifi only, operate all the new apps included in DJI GO ver. 2.0.0, follow, way ...

The iOS wifi only models are not equipped with gps which means that you can't use "follow me" option within DJI Go app
2015-10-30
Use props
DuhDailyLOL
New

United States

Hi,

I'm new to the DJI community and looking to purchase the Phantom 3 Professional. I also just purchased an iPad Mini 2 Wifi and I have a question. Now it may sound dumb or someone may have already clarified this but I just need this settled before I lose it. Can I use an external GPS device that can plug into Mini 2 like the Garmin GLO? I'm a little frustrated that I can't use some of the features on the Phantom 3 since it's not running on cellular when flying.
2016-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules