Spark Flyaways (No DJI Warranty Ownership)
998 3 2018-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mrrwilson
New
Flight distance : 16 ft
United States

I had purchased the DJI spark Unit as a gift to my daughter and myself in November of 2017. We live in the NY Metro Area, so at the time, we were not able to instantly enjoy the device due to the winter weather conditions. In preparation for the Spring/Summer season, we had unboxed the device only 3 times to test our ability to control and use the device indoors (on 12/17, 3/12 and 5/1). The device never received any damage whatsoever.
Both times, the device worked as advertised and upon launching an IOS device as the controller, it ascended to 1.5 meters and descended upon command without any issues. We are by no means experts and the reason we purchased this model was because of its advertised ease of use without a formal controller.
On 6/16, the first time taking the device outside, we followed the exact same procedure as before, except for this time, the device accepted the initial ascend command, but kept ascending and would not respond to any other command on the same IOS device. On the first instance, the device climbed and got stuck in a tree. I retrieved the device and attempted to try it once more in a more open area away from trees and buildings. On the second try, the device repeated the behavior and kept ascending to even higher heights and would not respond to commands. The device eventually drifted into a tree and came crashing down from 18ft. it suffered a broken arm and damaged propellers.
I reached out to DJI for support (3 times) and warranty citing the device malfunction and on 4 instances, they gave me different reasons as to why this occurred citing user error. When I attempted to retrieve the flight records from their app, the values changed a few times before it stabilized. Ultimately, they stated that the device suffered damage at 0 ft on one of the previous in house trial which impacted the device operability. They then stated that is was “due to the User Stick Command Error and that the Unit was in P-GPS mode and received a huge impact before taking off”. I refuted this claim on the simple basis of the fact that any impact any major impact to the device would have prevented the device from receiving take off commands and its ability to fly at all. I’ve asked for details based on what I stated etc. as was not provided with any supporting details, just simply that they would not cover this repair under warranty and I would need to pay approx. $200+ (~half the price of the original unit) for the repair!!!
This clearly seems like DJI skirting their responsibility as I also found several other users report “flyaways” and having the unit stop responding to user commands. I think this is a bigger issue that DJI needs to own and perhaps better advertisement on how their product works. They should also strongly recommend using their device with the DJI controller since the gesture and mobile device commands are spotty at best. I am very disappointed with their support service and unfortunately will no longer promote their products. We will be seeking out other brands.

Unhappy Consumer,
R.Wilson

2018-8-15
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you'd like a second opinion, feel free to upload your TXT flight log here and post the link back here. That'll allow other members of this forum to review and comment on your flight log.
2018-8-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Wilson, we're sorry for the troubles. I managed to get your case number via the forum info and checking the exact status with the team, we'll keep you posted.
2018-8-15
Use props
fans34ee8814
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4678 ft
United Kingdom

Hello mate,mine flew away 10 days ago.DJI conclusion is the same,respodning well to the controls .The device is unsafe,but obviously when they say its your fault it is yours.Someone need to do something about it...!
3A13A1F5-A719-48CC-BB86-1A90F639F7E4.png
AA6C2EA4-2AE8-4627-972B-61C7F8BC6930.png
B7ED1F93-D462-445A-BD57-DEF2722E1CCB.png
5402860A-0E14-4EB1-B14E-F356CE1A6644.png
2018-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules