Phantom 3 4K camera shake
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phowe52
lvl.1
United States

I purchased a used Phantom 3 4K and got hosed by the seller. I know...buyer beware. I have replaced the yaw roll arm, damper balls and pins, but the shake is still there. Any ideas what I should look at next?
Thanks for the help.
2018-8-15
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Are the props in pretty good shape?  and, have you calibrated the IMU and gimbal?
2018-8-15
Use props
Phowe52
lvl.1
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-15 16:07
Are the props in pretty good shape?  and, have you calibrated the IMU and gimbal?

Thank you. The props are brand new and I have calibrated the IMU and gimbal but can try that again
2018-8-15
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

I would have sent it back...i guess its to late now that u have worked on it...did you use paypal?
2018-8-15
Use props
Phowe52
lvl.1
United States

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2018-8-15 16:37
I would have sent it back...i guess its to late now that u have worked on it...did you use paypal?

It’s my bad all the way around. I KNEW better. Bought it from a guy on Letgo locally. I should have completely tested it out before paying for it. But it was middle of winter - standing outside and freezing by ass off.

Shame on me...but pity the kid if I ever run into him again.
Can’t stand people with no integrity.
2018-8-15
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. Can you please send a picture of your gimbal? Are you seeing any error message in the app?
2018-8-16
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

How many anti-drop pins did you put in?  It only needs two, fitted diagonally on the gimbal base.  Any more can make the gimbal too stiff and it doesn't "float" properly, causing camera shake.

If you can upload a short video showing the problem, you are likely to get more suggestions.  Some photos of the camera and gimbal might reveal a problem that you overlooked.
2018-8-17
Use props
Phowe52
lvl.1
United States

endotherm Posted at 2018-8-17 02:24
How many anti-drop pins did you put in?  It only needs two, fitted diagonally on the gimbal base.  Any more can make the gimbal too stiff and it doesn't "float" properly, causing camera shake.

If you can upload a short video showing the problem, you are likely to get more suggestions.  Some photos of the camera and gimbal might reveal a problem that you overlooked.

Thanks for the comment. I removed two of the drop -pins. Only two remaining (positioned diagonally). Checked the rubber damper balls and they are seated properly and in good condition. I've again recalibrated the IMU / Gimbal.

I can't get a 12-second video to load directly to the page so I've included a link to YouTube. I'd appreciate further comments/ideas from anyone.

Thanks again.
2018-8-19
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer

Australia

Phowe52 Posted at 2018-8-19 02:54
https://youtu.be/-8drDGYzWmw

Thanks for the comment. I removed two of the drop -pins. Only two remaining (positioned diagonally). Checked the rubber damper balls and they are seated properly and in good condition. I've again recalibrated the IMU / Gimbal.

Wow, that's terribly out of whack.  The horizon should be pretty close to horizontal, that is the function of  the gimbal after all.  I'd suggest something is still bent, or you have attached the camera on the spindle in the wrong place.  It looks too far rotated on the roll motor.   Perhaps another video showing the gimbal and camera during the aircraft power-up, doing its initialization dance.
2018-8-19
Use props
w1r3ds
lvl.2

Australia

is the shake you are describing the Jello effect?  one tip I have is to only have 2 drop pins in the rubber dampers on the gimbal plate placed in diagonal corners
2018-8-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

endotherm Posted at 2018-8-19 03:58
Wow, that's terribly out of whack.  The horizon should be pretty close to horizontal, that is the function of  the gimbal after all.  I'd suggest something is still bent, or you have attached the camera on the spindle in the wrong place.  It looks too far rotated on the roll motor.   Perhaps another video showing the gimbal and camera during the aircraft power-up, doing its initialization dance.

It does not look to me as if the gimbal is doing anything, like it is completely non-functional.
2018-8-19
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer

Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-19 21:52
It does not look to me as if the gimbal is doing anything, like it is completely non-functional.

I think he still has tilt control though.
2018-8-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

endotherm Posted at 2018-8-19 23:28
I think he still has tilt control though.

True, but it seems completely devoid of stabilising influence.
2018-8-19
Use props
Phowe52
lvl.1

Geebax Posted at 2018-8-19 23:31
True, but it seems completely devoid of stabilising influence.

The gimbal “turns/adjust” left - right, up-down, but does not adjust horizontally. Does that make sense? The vibration simply will not go away. Recalibrated several times (gimbal and IMU). Double checked the rubber dampers. Only two pins installed.

Gimbal motor maybe?

2018-8-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Phowe52 Posted at 2018-8-25 04:03
The gimbal “turns/adjust” left - right, up-down, but does not adjust horizontally. Does that make sense? The vibration simply will not go away. Recalibrated several times (gimbal and IMU). Double checked the rubber dampers. Only two pins installed.

Gimbal motor maybe?

'Gimbal motor maybe? '

It is possible. I have never seen a gimbal perform as badly as that, I suspect there is something really wrong with the gimbal assembly. Time to send it back to DJI.
2018-8-25
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

When you replaced the arm, did everything go back easily together, or did you have to force anything?
2018-8-25
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer

Australia

You really need to upload a video looking at the camera/gimbal.  While the aircraft is powered up, hold it in your hands and wobble the aircraft and "exercise it" through the various axis of movement for tilt (up and down), yaw (left/right) and roll (rotating the horizon).  Each of those movements is controlled by an associated motor in the gimbal.   The three motors are able to give a stable "float" in any axis.  When everything is working properly the camera lens will point in a particular direction and be completely still, independent of any aircraft body move.  Don't go crazy and go too far, like upside down.  The side-to-side yaw has the smallest range of movement, roll has about plus and minus 45°, and the tilt is the biggest, pointing straight down (-90°), horizontal (0°), and up to +30°.   If the camera isn't rock solid through these ranges, you have a problem with the gimbal.  Seeing it in a video will tell us what is likely to be wrong.
2018-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules