Unable to Fly - GROUNDED due to pixelated video
1971 29 2018-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matt Lake
lvl.1

I’m using crystalsky and have read every single thread about resolving this issue. Tried every fix short of reinstalling Go4.
I’ve done nothing beyond upgrading firmware when prompted, the aircraft is literally useless now, being that I can’t even take off without garbled video on the crystalsky display.

What have they done to DJI Go 4?

My aircraft was fine for a whole year, now it’s a waste and completely unenjoyable/and filled with frustration when it once was rock solid.

Note: When using my goggles the video feed is rock solid stable as it was before I upgraded (v.414?)

DJI, What have you done to the Go 4 app and when will it be resolved?

Or are you suggesting I re-install and reformat my SD card? If so I’ll try it, but really? It was fine 2 upgrades prior. Or maybe my cable is now “bad” which worked fine for a year or more?

This is unacceptable, what a shame! What used to be my favorite gadget has been pretty much grounded..

Anything DJI? I’m open to trying whatever you suggest so please propose a solution..
2018-8-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I hate to tell you this...  But unless you
1) Try a different USB cable
2) Try a different microSD card or at very least format microSD card in drone
3) Reflash CrystalSky OS (which will also reflash GO-4)
4) Reset camera & video settings under GO-4
5) Try a different SmartDevice (which you really already have with Goggles)
6) Fly drone in several completely different areas
- you will get to do all above anyway.  Being DJI will request most of above, and possibly more.   
Such as providing video or snapshots showing Pixelation.

2018-8-15
Use props
Matt Lake
lvl.1

Ok, sounds good, I have my homework and will report back! I’ve done some, but not all of this so Thanks for the helpful advice.

And please forgive my discouraged tone and delivery,
2018-8-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Matt Lake Posted at 2018-8-15 18:57
Ok, sounds good, I have my homework and will report back! I’ve done some, but not all of this so Thanks for the helpful advice.

And please forgive my discouraged tone and delivery,

Not a problem.
You might want to take a look through this thread: Pixelation! Now what DJI? Rollback from .0400 to .0200

Spoiler Alert: I ended up sending in my Mavic Pro, RC, and CrystalSky Ultra brite.  
DJI after looking at Mavic Pro and RC chose to replace Core board and Main control board.
No word from DJI on CrystalSky Ultra.  

UPDATED: DJI is going to either repair or replace CrystalSky Ultra under warranty.  There is no information as to what was wrong.  Bill only shows cost of entire CrystalSky Ultra with amount due being $0.00.

I have no idea whether Pixelation problem has been solved by work done on Mavic Pro & RC.
2018-8-15
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I have had to rollback the application to 4.2.14 that has resolved the pixelation, but I'd rather be on the current firmware and not have to fly with old software.
2018-8-15
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

4.2.16 solved my problems
2018-8-15
Use props
Matt Lake
lvl.1

Hedge, I already reviewed in detail, your thread and reached no actionable conclusion other than I need to send everything in to DJI, which I may just do..

There is no silver bullet solution or root cause that I can find in your thread or any other that makes me think its something I’ve done or can resolve..

But might as well try re flashing reloading everything, pretty sure it’ll be a waste of time.

And yes, I’ve tried e a brand new cable and flown in drastically different and very remote locales.
2018-8-15
Use props
forager3215
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230951 ft

I also had to roll back Dji go 4 to version .16 to solve my video issues.
2018-8-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Matt Lake Posted at 2018-8-15 20:02
Hedge, I already reviewed in detail, your thread and reached no actionable conclusion other than I need to send everything in to DJI, which I may just do..

There is no silver bullet solution or root cause that I can find in your thread or any other that makes me think its something I’ve done or can resolve..

You got it.  After you done all above, and DJI comes up with nothing more to try, time to send it all in.
Let DJI figure it out.

But like it or not, you are pretty much stuck doing all I listed.  That way when you open ticket (or call for) repair, you can detail what has been done to justify DJI excepting repair request(s).

What it comes down to is drastically shortening the number of back and forths of:
---------------------------------------------------
What's wrong.  
My drone won't do _______.
Have you tried this?
What's wrong.  
I tried this to resolve ________ and it did not help.
Have you tried that?
(repeat, repeat, repeat)

Anyway, best of luck!

2018-8-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Here are a couple of questions to ponder for all those who have rolled back to 4.2.16 or 4.2.14 to resolve your Pixelation problems.   

Questions I asked myself after realizing that FW for MPp of .0400 made Pixelation problems worse than .0300 - and factoring in that it had been 3-months without a FW update for Mavic Air.

Are you hoping (waiting for) 4.2.26(?) to resolve problem?

Do you plan to run 4.2.16 or 4.2.14 from here on out, if 4.2.26(?) and 4.x.xx does not resolve problem?  

2018-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Matt Lake Posted at 2018-8-15 20:02

You don’t have to tell dji you done this you done that.
It’s a very simple process and you don’t need ever to speak to anyone, also repair service is pretty good.
Just email support to arrange to send your craft in under warranty, they will take care of arranging case number, you will be sent all the necessary paper work tracking number will be arranged your package will be picked up sent for repair and returned repaired or replaced.
You won’t be asked to revert to older FW calibrate anything what app your using what device your using, your sending in because your craft is not working and you want it to work like the vast majority of craft are working Full Stop.Don’t let what you read confuse you, this is a simple and easy process to go through, it’s also your entitlement.
2018-8-16
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

If you're using the CrystalSky and the latest version of software/firmware and having these issues, I'd send everything in for warranty repair. I had some issues with disconnects on my phone when the latest firmware came out but I had been using an unsupported device for almost a year, so no whining on my part. When I bought the CrystalSky, everything has been smooth sailing. So my advice would be to go through everything, do a factory reset and load the latest firmware/software. If you're still having issues, you may indeed have a hardware problem that only DJI repair is going to be able to resolve.
2018-8-16
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Unless I'm missing something or just plane wrong, if rolling back the Go 4 app to a previous version fixes a pixelation video problem is that not a clear indication that the problem lies with the Go 4 app itself?

2018-8-16
Use props
fans03a0a54a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73737 ft

Have the same issue and I haven't been able to fly my mavic Pro since May of this year
2018-8-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Far_North Posted at 2018-8-16 03:33
Unless I'm missing something or just plane wrong, if rolling back the Go 4 app to a previous version fixes a pixelation video problem is that not a clear indication that the problem lies with the Go 4 app itself?

Yes your right, but many will do their utmost to confuse this situation. For those having problems link below has worked really well for those who have implemented it.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/ ... ep-by-step-guide.31
2018-8-16
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1672566 ft
Ukraine

I wouldn't install anything from APKPure or APKMirror. No one guarantees they distribute genuine versions of DJI's software and not modified ones with added malware. And even Google Play sometimes lets malware through.
2018-8-16
Use props
Matt Lake
lvl.1

Yeah, I’m not interested in rolling back using an APK, or Litchi as an alternative. It must work with go4 as designed - no backdoor hacks for me..
2018-8-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Far_North Posted at 2018-8-16 03:33

Same would apply to Firmware, but evidently not.  Because several deny there are any problem (other than False motor warning) with Firmware, despite posted evidence to contrary.  

In case of what I ran into with .0300 & .0400 Pixelation problems it ''appears'' to have been a combination problem between firmware and hardware.  Hardware that ran perfectly fine on .0100 & .0200.

Reason I say ''appears'' is because I have not had (and may not for a while have) a chance to test Mavic Pro P with FW .0400 after it came back from DJI.
2018-8-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

The Phantom Help suggestions for ''Configure These Settings to Improve DJI GO Performance'' are helpful - but only as a Band-Aid.
If you have a SmartDevice that is listed as supported by DJI for running GO-4; you should not have to:
1) Set Image transmission mode to Regular
2) Disable cache Locally  when Recording
3) Manually clear video Cache

Or Turn Off Highlight warnings
Or Disable Focus peaking
Or Downgrading DJI GO-4 from 4.1.XX to 4.1.15, 4.1.14, or 4.1.12.

Summary: DJI needs to highly optimize GO-4 for SmartDevices that run Android OS.

2018-8-16
Use props
Matt Lake
lvl.1

Ditto, and especially CrystalSky
2018-8-16
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-16 15:06
The Phantom Help suggestions for ''Configure These Settings to Improve DJI GO Performance'' are helpful - but only as a Band-Aid.
If you have a SmartDevice that is listed as supported by DJI for running GO-4; you should not have to:

Or DJI can just give us a workable app. One that we can use ALL the features off, and not choose what we want, in order for it to work......
2018-8-17
Use props
Matt Lake
lvl.1

United States

Reset the crystalsky, reformatted the sd card, reset the Mavics camera settings, replaced the cable..

And...

Still seeing some pixelation, but only tested for a very brief time at close range. I’ll recharge batteries and check back in the morning after a full flight at normal range.

It’s looking like I’m gonna send the whole setup in to DJI.

And for reference, this is a basically new refurb’d bird that they sent under dji care replacement after my original first production run Mavic had erratic gimble behavior.

Literally flown less than 5 times, for under 60 mins total.
2018-8-17
Use props
Matt Lake
lvl.1

United States

What strikes me as very odd is that when using the goggles there is no pixelation, ZERO, while the Crystalsky has it,,

I’ll be testing with the goggles as well just to confirm this tomorrow
2018-8-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Matt Lake Posted at 2018-8-17 20:22
What strikes me as very odd is that when using the goggles there is no pixelation, ZERO, while the Crystalsky has it,,

I’ll be testing with the goggles as well just to confirm this tomorrow

Maybe I missed it...  Have you tried rolling back CrystalSky to previous version?

You can get CS OS & GO-4 previous version HERE.

You have to download unziped (extracted) file to CrystalSky on to microSD card, then tell CrystalSky update you want to use a locally stored version.  If I remember correctly, you press 'dots' in upper right hand corner under CS Update menu.   I can't check with my CrystalSky, since it is away being repaired by DJI.

UPDATED: Found DJI's How to Instructions HERE.

Current CS OS & GO-4 version is 2660_20180525.
2018-8-17
Use props
Matt Lake
lvl.1

United States

Hedge you’re a lifesaver, man. Invaluable! No I hadn’t yet rolled it back because I didn’t know where it was or how,

I’ll report back later today,
2018-8-18
Use props
Matt Lake
lvl.1

United States

Great news!! I flashed and reloaded the CS with the current version, and it seems to have resolved the pixelation almost entirely. I did see some initially, but turned off local video caching.

I’m gonna do some more testing today, but I can’t believe all I needed to do was reload the app!

So nice to have my Mavic back to the point where it’s flyable and fun again.

If you’re having pixelation issues please reload go 4 and see if that does it.
2018-8-18
Use props
fans03a0a54a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 73737 ft
United States

I have had to clear data cards drone & phone. Plus clear data on phone cloud storage. This helped some. However I still have pixelation issues now & then.
2018-8-20
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

I guess I got excited and spoke too soon, pixelation issues are back. Hedge trimmers link to the older version of CS and go4 don’t seem to be active..

Switched transmission to custom frequency settings, and pretty much tried everything else. Guess it’s time to send it back to DJI..

Was considering buying a Mavic 2 but no way, not with issues like this.

Update: followed @HedgeTrimmer suggestions above one more time and pixelation is no longer happening:

2) Disable cache Locally  when Recording
3) Manually clear video Cache
Turned off over exposure warning (zebra patterns)
Disable Focus peaking

Then I went back and turned over exposure back on and it’s still fine, no pixelation.

Hedge, this beer’s for you
2018-8-31
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft

This weekend I learned that one of the cables I was using was contributing to the problem. I switched to another cable and the pixelation stopped on the next flight.

So if your cable is zip tied and coiled tightly try uncoililing it or a new shorter cable.  Mine was too long so I coiled and zip tied the ends, which was not a good idea.
2018-9-18
Use props
Alex B.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Matman Posted at 2018-9-18 05:49
This weekend I learned that one of the cables I was using was contributing to the problem. I switched to another cable and the pixelation stopped on the next flight.

So if your cable is zip tied and coiled tightly try uncoililing it or a new shorter cable.  Mine was too long so I coiled and zip tied the ends, which was not a good idea.

Glad to know that you were able to solve the issue!

Happy flying! Enjoy
Alex
2018-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules