Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Incompetent Service - Spark with DJI for 8 weeks
1125 14 2018-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rcarns
lvl.1

United States

Hi, I need help. The service team is not very competent and is not able to answer basic questions. I have dealt with a different person each time there has been a communication and I am at my wits end.

8 weeks ago, I sent in my Spark. It had crashed due to a malfunction with the right control stick. I had control over the left stick but not the right. None of my commands were being registered. Then the flight data shows inputs being received on the right stick at lightning speed. It jumps from 100 one way to 100 the other way and back again many times a second. There was no smooth transition through the center like what you would expect if someone was controlling the device. Just snapped back and forth many times per second. I was told that this was my fault because I was controlling all surfaces at once. Meanwhile, the exact opposite was the case. Although the Spark shows inputs, I was not inputting the controls as DJI told me I was. I called and spoke to someone who said they would add more notes from our conversation and have it looked at again. Great, I thought. No, a week later I received a note that I need to pay for the repair bill. I contacted DJI again and they told me to be patient that it was being investigated further. Then, this week, I received a final notice to pay the repair bill. I contact DJI and this time they tell me that it doesn’t fall under warranty and I needed to pay.

I don’t know if the 2nd analysis was completed. I don’t know how/why this doesn’t fall under warranty. I don’t know if the notes were added as I was told. Customer service is a joke and I am so frustrated and extremely skeptical that DJI even cares that they warranty their products. I was so excited to finally get the Spark and now I haven’t had access to it all summer because DJI Service team is unable to operate at a basic level.

Can someone please help me? The crash was not my fault. I was not in control. If you have some sort of loop hole in the warranty that makes this my fault, just show me.

CAS-1932154-Z7G8C9

-Ryan

2018-8-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

We're sorry to know about this, Ryan. And thanks for the case number. I'll have the flight records you submitted to be checked again with our Data Analysis Team. We'll get back to you the soonest time possible for update. Thank you.
2018-8-16
Use props
rcarns
lvl.1

United States

Thank you. I look forward to an update from you
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

You are welcome.
2018-8-18
Use props
rcarns
lvl.1

United States

Hi,  Do you have an update on this case?
2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

rcarns Posted at 2018-8-21 07:05
Hi,  Do you have an update on this case?

Hi Ryan, sorry for the delay. I checked your case and I can see here that it's being handled by one of our Managers. Once the Data Analysis Result is available, we'll contact you the soonest time possible. Please keep your line accessible. Thank you.
2018-8-21
Use props
rcarns
lvl.1

United States

Hi,

I received a response from Apple Joyce today that DJI continues to maintain that this is my fault.  She says the 2nd analysis was completed but gives the results from the first analysis, which continues to leave me wary of this entire process over the last 9 weeks. Below is my email response. I am happy to download and post the entire flight log showing all of this, especially my super human thumb with lightning speed. I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that DJI believes that I am to blame here.  

Does anyone want to see the flight data?

Please help me here. I am being taken advantage of.

Hi Apple,

Do you see all of that input on the right thumb stick? This was not being entered by me. All I had control of was the left stick. DJI continues to claim this was me controlling all surfaces at the same time. You are flat out wrong in this analysis.

Your analysis is faulty. Look at the speed the controls on the right thumb stuck jump around as compared to the thumb stick on the left. The “second” analysis is word for word identical to the first analysis which indicates to me that a second analysis wasn’t conducted.  Look at the flight data earlier in the flight and you can see a significant amount of time the spark spends above me with only left thumb stick inputs as I was attempting to land.  If you look at the flight data before 5:24 seconds into the flight you can see that the right thumb stick was registering no input.

At 2:53 seconds the last input on the right thumb stick was registered that I entered.
I fly for a moment in confusion at around 3:09 I stop and try to turn the drone around and didn’t have control of the right thumb stick. I work to bring the drone back to shore with just the left thumb stick. Not being able to control yaw or altitude.
At about 3:30 I begin to troubleshoot with the drone overhead. Why wont the right stick respond? If you watch the entire log you will notice NO input on the right stick during this time until I initiate RTH.
At 4:40 I initiated RTH to attempt to get this to land. This is where the drone goes crazy and registers wild commands on the right stick. Commands that were not input by me.

In the 15 seconds leading up to the crash you can see me attempt to maneuver the drone, somewhat successfully, using only the left stick toward land and shallow water. The left stick shows the speed at which a human thumb can move. Look at the right thumb stick during the same time period. Please recreate the speed that this switches around with your thumb. Please then, and only then, tell me this was me entering the commands that caused the crash.

Furthermore, from the flight data, how is your data analysis team certain I was entering the commands with superhuman speed? When RTH is initiated the flight input is registered in the flight data even though I was not inputting the controls. Thus, it is possible for commands to be shown, as you indicate, but not have come from user input but from a wildly malfunctioning RTH.

I do not accept that a 2nd analysis was completed only that you looked at the flight data, took a video and pasted the same response from the first analysis.

Please call me.
2018-8-22
Use props
rcarns
lvl.1

United States

Can you please confirm your US company name and address so that I can file a BBB complaint?
2018-8-22
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

rcarns Posted at 2018-8-22 10:59
Hi,

I received a response from Apple Joyce today that DJI continues to maintain that this is my fault.  She says the 2nd analysis was completed but gives the results from the first analysis, which continues to leave me wary of this entire process over the last 9 weeks. Below is my email response. I am happy to download and post the entire flight log showing all of this, especially my super human thumb with lightning speed. I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that DJI believes that I am to blame here.  

Hello Ryan, we're sorry to hear about the result. I checked your case and can see that same result was provided after they checked the flight records the second time. But I can also see here that Manager Apple coordinated this again with our Data Analysis Team, she'll contact you for update within 48 business hours. We know you've been patient , but please extend it a little more, we'll provide you a fair resolution using all information provided to us. Thank you.
2018-8-22
Use props
rcarns
lvl.1

United States

Hi Diana, in no uncertain terms, Apple told me what the resolution was.

From Apple's email to me today  "I do apologize but we wasn't able to find a Product Malfunction on this case. The 15% discount that we provided will be final."

It is disgusting that DJI treats a customer this way. I have been patient for 9 weeks. I have spent hours of my time over numerous emails, phone calls, posts and researching. I know you are just now involved but please understand that I have been dealing with this for 9 weeks. I have been continually called a liar by DJI. I have been without my Spark all summer. I am losing my patients now. So, please, unless you are suggesting that DJI will contact me with either a refund, repair or exchange, covered under warranty, please supply me with the US Company Name and Address for DJI and I will file the BBB Complaint and try that route for a fair resolution.

I have very little faith that any additional patience from me will provide me a fair resolution. Please prove me wrong

Thanks Diana
2018-8-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

rcarns Posted at 2018-8-22 14:04
Hi Diana, in no uncertain terms, Apple told me what the resolution was.

From Apple's email to me today  "I do apologize but we wasn't able to find a Product Malfunction on this case. The 15% discount that we provided will be final."

Hi rcarns, we understand your frustration, Diana has escalated your case again to the appropriate team, please wait patiently for the further resolution, we also hope the issue will be sorted out soon.
2018-8-22
Use props
rcarns
lvl.1

United States

I received a call yesterday from Apple and some other man whom I cannot remember the name of.  They had a different person perform the flight analysis the 3rd time rather than the same person for the first two times and immediately agreed that this is a warranty item.  So, DJI has agreed to warranty fix/replace my Spark, which is fantastic. Thank you.  However, it does not make up for the 9 weeks of struggles I had with customer service and 9 weeks of lost summer flying. DJI has fantastic products but treats its customers poorly. Which is disappointing but not surprising judging from this forum full of others with customer service difficulties.
I am not sure what part Mindy and Diana may have played in helping me get to this resolution, but thank you.
2018-8-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

rcarns Posted at 2018-8-24 07:29
I received a call yesterday from Apple and some other man whom I cannot remember the name of.  They had a different person perform the flight analysis the 3rd time rather than the same person for the first two times and immediately agreed that this is a warranty item.  So, DJI has agreed to warranty fix/replace my Spark, which is fantastic. Thank you.  However, it does not make up for the 9 weeks of struggles I had with customer service and 9 weeks of lost summer flying. DJI has fantastic products but treats its customers poorly. Which is disappointing but not surprising judging from this forum full of others with customer service difficulties.
I am not sure what part Mindy and Diana may have played in helping me get to this resolution, but thank you.

Hi rcarns, glad to know the case has turned out to be a great outcome, we would like to apologize again for the hassle and the trouble caused, we are here to collect and escalate customers' feedback about our products and customer service to the relate team so that we can learn from these and keep improving our service, please keep us updated if there is any other issue, we are always here to help.
2018-8-24
Use props
shyde123456
lvl.1
Flight distance : 430689 ft
United States

I am having major issues with a case that they said was pilot error but the drone powered off in mid flight.  I cant believe DJI treats customers this way.  
2018-12-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

shyde123456 Posted at 12-27 14:01
I am having major issues with a case that they said was pilot error but the drone powered off in mid flight.  I cant believe DJI treats customers this way.

Hi shyde123456, we will follow up every post in Service section, please do not post repeatedly, thanks for your understanding.
2018-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules