Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
how many GPS satellites are enough to fly ?
12Next >
30472 41 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Amjad1983
Second Officer
Flight distance : 310489 ft
United Arab Emirates

How many satellites are needed to get a good GPS signal and to fly your drone safely ?
2018-8-17
Use props
Big Nana
Captain
Flight distance : 38632 ft
  • >>>

10 satellites?
2018-8-17
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

I think you will get green gps status after 8 or more but I would rather wait to have 10 or more.
2018-8-17
Use props
nixuspix
Captain
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

I never fly before 11 are locked
2018-8-17
Use props
4WDaus
Captain
Flight distance : 1187257 ft

11 or 12 here
2018-8-17
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>

Technically I believe the drone will green light you with 6 satellites locked.  Since the P3 Pro/Advance & later, the GPS receiver supports both US & Russian GPS so I seldom see less than 10-11 locked.  My P3 Standards only receive US satellites so I will see 8-9 locked.
2018-8-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

There are two satellite systems we are using, GPS and GLONASS. For a stable connection we need a minimum of 6 satellites of either system. Thus to be sure to have these 6 from either system, you need a minimum of 11 satellites in total. But since satellite links come and go, more are better.
2018-8-17
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

MA need 9 to lock on GPS mode and home point. More satellites better as some may last during flight.
2018-8-17
Use props
Keule
Captain
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

It is not only the number of sats seen at a given moment at a given locaten, it is also, among other requirements, the distribution of the sats in orbit. (GDOP)
Therefore, as an example, DJI's Mobile SDK does not look at the number of satellites. DJI is using it's own GPS health (0-5) as a reference:

Have a look:

Following enum class represents GPS signal levels, which are used to measure the signal quality.
DJIGPSSignalStatus

Level0  The GPS has almost no signal, which is very bad.
Level1 The GPS signal is very weak.
Level2 The GPS signal is weak.
Level3 The GPS signal is good.
Level4 The GPS signal is very good.
Level5 The GPS signal is very strong.
None  There is no GPS signal.

DJI translates that into:

Level0: The GPS has almost no signal, which is very bad.
Level1: The GPS signal is very weak.
Level2: The GPS signal is weak. At this level, the aircraft's go home functionality will still work.
Level3: The GPS signal is good. At this level, the aircraft can hover in the air.
Level4: The GPS signal is very good. At this level, the aircraft can record the home point.
Level5: The GPS signal is very strong.
None: There is no GPS signal.
2018-8-17
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
First Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

ideally 11 or 12
2018-8-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Keule Posted at 2018-8-17 02:36
It is not only the number of sats seen at a given moment at a given locaten, it is also, among other requirements, the distribution of the sats in orbit. (GDOP)
Therefore, as an example, DJI's Mobile SDK does not look at the number of satellites. DJI is using it's own GPS health (0-5) as a reference:

Excellent explanation, thank you!
2018-8-17
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

What means safely? It's more on pilot than on GPS satellite count. Most proper drone pilots are able to fly safely with 0 satellites and even without an altitude hold.
2018-8-17
Use props
Amjad1983
Second Officer
Flight distance : 310489 ft
United Arab Emirates

It is not only the number of sats seen at a given moment at a given locaten, it is also, among other requirements, the distribution of the sats in orbit. (GDOP)

thanks very much for such rich information
2018-8-17
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

more than 10
2018-8-18
Use props
LilyValley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141220 ft
Netherlands

Thank you for this information!

How can you find this DJI labeling in the flight logs or on the app?
2019-5-8
Use props
Keule
Captain
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

LilyValley Posted at 5-8 05:09
Thank you for this information!

How can you find this DJI labeling in the flight logs or on the app?

in the SDK documentation: (link)
2019-5-8
Use props
LilyValley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141220 ft
Netherlands

Keule Posted at 5-8 07:00

Yeah I see the exact same information, but where do I find it in the flightlog or while flying? Never seen any of this labels come up on the RC.
2019-5-8
Use props
D2_cayde
Second Officer
United States

maybe check how many satellites that are linked with your dron the nect time you fly but i'll say that there should be more than 3 satellites
2019-5-8
Use props
Spaceman_66
First Officer
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-17 01:18
There are two satellite systems we are using, GPS and GLONASS. For a stable connection we need a minimum of 6 satellites of either system. Thus to be sure to have these 6 from either system, you need a minimum of 11 satellites in total. But since satellite links come and go, more are better.

..'zactly what he said. My (admittedly imperfect) understanding is that you definitely need a minimum of 6 (of either flavor, GPS or GLONASS, it doesn't really matter). So with "just" 10 total, you could conceivably have just 5 and 5 of each which isn't technically enuf for safe flight. Having 11 total ENSURES that you have at least 6 of ONE of them (6+5 OR 5+6 or >6+<5, so should be considered as good to go; treat it assyour commit to flight threshold!

I've personally been guilty of launching with less than 11 in a FOV-compromised situation, hoping that as soon as I gained 20-30 feet of altitude I'd pick up additional satellites. Sure enuf, it's worked every time. If ever I got up and didn't see the GPS sat count go right up, I'd land and scratch my head rather than taking further chances!
2019-5-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Spaceman_66 Posted at 5-9 20:09
..'zactly what he said. My (admittedly imperfect) understanding is that you definitely need a minimum of 6 (of either flavor, GPS or GLONASS, it doesn't really matter). So with "just" 10 total, you could conceivably have just 5 and 5 of each which isn't technically enuf for safe flight. Having 11 total ENSURES that you have at least 6 of ONE of them (6+5 OR 5+6 or >6+

A GPS receiver needs total of four satellites to get a 3D fix.  GPS receiver needs two of a type of system to be of any use - due time differences between multiple systems.  GPS receiver can't use 1 of GPS and 3 of GLONASS satellites to get a 3D fix.

Some discussion as to whether GPS receiver can use 2 of GPS and 2 of GLONASS to achieve total of four satellites for 3D fix.  Or whether when there are only 2 of one kind, it counts as only 1 satellite due to required time corrections between multiple systems.  Leading to need of 2 of GPS and 3 of GLONASS (or reverse).

What DJI sets as their minimum Satellite requirement, when there is multiple types involved is unknown.  One thing is for sure, you do want several extra satellites, in case signal path to one or two GPS satellites becomes blocked or reception becomes garbled due to reflections of GPS signals.
2019-5-9
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

About 6 to set a home point but I don't take off until I have 12 and at least three bars of signal.
2019-5-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Keule Posted at 5-8 07:00

Be helpful if DJI would elaborate on how they arrive at those values.  Realizing, GPS signal strength is on individual satellite basis.  

On Garmin GPS 64st receiver, a bar graph is used to show both number of satellites and their individual signal strengths.  There is not an overall total GPS signal strength.  There is an estimated distance accuracy from GPS satellites.
2019-5-9
Use props
LIGHTSTATION
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66673 ft
Brazil

I was testing my Air in between tall buildings and at 5 meters high the High Altitude message appeared! I'm logged in, was not in begginer's mode and my max. altitude set was 150 meters! Is is because I was only in "Vision Mode" (few or no satelites)? I just spent 4 hours with a DJI atendant and he made me update and calibrate everything again, including IMU, and still I could not fly over 5m inside my garage (which is open, but in between lots of buildings). I could not get more than 4 satelites.  Could it be too few satelites? Why did the atendant tell me that? Thanks!
2019-11-1
Use props
Tornado12
Second Officer
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

LIGHTSTATION Posted at 2019-11-1 11:40
I was testing my Air in between tall buildings and at 5 meters high the High Altitude message appeared! I'm logged in, was not in begginer's mode and my max. altitude set was 150 meters! Is is because I was only in "Vision Mode" (few or no satelites)? I just spent 4 hours with a DJI atendant and he made me update and calibrate everything again, including IMU, and still I could not fly over 5m inside my garage (which is open, but in between lots of buildings). I could not get more than 4 satelites.  Could it be too few satelites? Why did the atendant tell me that? Thanks!

I have never had so few satellites so I'm not sure if it limits you on flight for that, but it is very possible. It will also limit you in flight if you have not logged in to your DJI account in the app. If you are limited on both GPS and no vision, im not sure if it limits or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldnt want to do much flying in that condition anyways - high risk of losing the drone.
2021-12-8
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tornado12 Posted at 12-8 12:00
I have never had so few satellites so I'm not sure if it limits you on flight for that, but it is very possible. It will also limit you in flight if you have not logged in to your DJI account in the app. If you are limited on both GPS and no vision, im not sure if it limits or not, but I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldnt want to do much flying in that condition anyways - high risk of losing the drone.

Hi,

Just a tip....check the date of the last posting.
You are replying to a post november 2019....

cheers
JJB
2021-12-8
Use props
kyalami
Captain
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Does the Mavic Air not advice you when it has satellite lock and the home point is set? Sorry about my ignorance to not know this for this model. I thought that this was a common thing.
2021-12-11
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

kyalami Posted at 12-11 10:21
Does the Mavic Air not advice you when it has satellite lock and the home point is set? Sorry about my ignorance to not know this for this model. I thought that this was a common thing.

It is a common thing.
All DJI drones do that.
2021-12-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

kyalami Posted at 12-11 10:21

Yes it does, you will notice in the sat change and colour change. Its fairly easy to work our also just taking off 10 feet or so you will hear voice prompt Homepoint has been recorded.
2021-12-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2019-5-9 21:12
A GPS receiver needs total of four satellites to get a 3D fix.  GPS receiver needs two of a type of system to be of any use - due time differences between multiple systems.  GPS receiver can't use 1 of GPS and 3 of GLONASS satellites to get a 3D fix.

Some discussion as to whether GPS receiver can use 2 of GPS and 2 of GLONASS to achieve total of four satellites for 3D fix.  Or whether when there are only 2 of one kind, it counts as only 1 satellite due to required time corrections between multiple systems.  Leading to need of 2 of GPS and 3 of GLONASS (or reverse).

He was an arse hole ignore him….
2021-12-11
Use props
kyalami
Captain
Sweden

Labroides Posted at 12-11 15:09
It is a common thing.
All DJI drones do that.

Thanks for confirming  this.
2021-12-12
Use props
kyalami
Captain
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 12-11 17:12
Yes it does, you will notice in the sat change and colour change. Its fairly easy to work our also just taking off 10 feet or so you will hear voice prompt Homepoint has been recorded.

So on Mavic air you have 2 different systems to confirm a good sat lock. Change of colour of the sat and voice prompt. What more can you ask for?
2021-12-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

kyalami Posted at 12-12 03:37
So on Mavic air you have 2 different systems to confirm a good sat lock. Change of colour of the sat and voice prompt. What more can you ask for?

That’s it there’s no reason anyone should take off without correct gps.
2021-12-12
Use props
kyalami
Captain
Sweden

hallmark007 Posted at 12-12 06:17
That’s it there’s no reason anyone should take off without correct gps.

Yes fully agree. A basic thing every pilot should know before flying. So important. If no message that home point has been set, do not take off.
2021-12-12
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyalami Posted at 12-12 06:42
Yes fully agree. A basic thing every pilot should know before flying. So important. If no message that home point has been set, do not take off.

Hi kyalami,

I check always the GPS icon top right on the FlyApp screen.

RED = not enough satelittes to get a GPS lock
AMBER = enough sats for a GPS lock, so drone is in a GPS stabilized mode.
WHITE = more sats, so HP is set.
No fixed number of sats to change from Red>Amber>White.

Best to wait for white ofcourse, but takeoff in AMBER is possible but wait for flying away from your staring point to set HP once icon turns white.

cheers
JJB
2021-12-12
Use props
kyalami
Captain
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 12-12 12:35
Hi kyalami,

I check always the GPS icon top right on the FlyApp screen.

Hi JJB,

Thanks for your extra input regarding the colour of the icon. In DJI Go 4 I also see when the home point is set on the map and then also turn the drone around to check that it points to the same direction and on the map.

Cheers
2021-12-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2021-12-11 17:13
He was an arse hole ignore him….

Only to you; because I kept pointing out your Blowing Smoke up people's tail-pipes.
What was non-sense you tried to tell everyone about car's GPS being more accurate?   ROFL@U
2022-3-13
Use props
ReproRetro
Captain
Flight distance : 635669 ft
Australia

I don't fly if under 12 (in Australia)
2022-3-13
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ReproRetro Posted at 3-13 22:25
I don't fly if under 12 (in Australia)

I don't fly if under 12
The number doesn't matter.
What matters is: Does the flight controller have sufficient confidence in the GPS location data to put the drone in P-GPS Mode?
That could happen with <12 sats, or it might take >12.

(in Australia)

Your location are makes no difference.
2022-3-13
Use props
ReproRetro
Captain
Flight distance : 635669 ft
Australia

Labroides Posted at 3-13 23:28
I don't fly if under 12
The number doesn't matter.
What matters is: Does the flight controller have sufficient confidence in the GPS location data to put the drone in P-GPS Mode?

Thanks for that
2022-3-14
Use props
macintox
lvl.1
Flight distance : 378156 ft
Taiwan

I am on a DJI FPV, it shows 7 but is RED, does that mean I cannot take off?
2022-3-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules