Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OTG vs USB
2025 22 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charissa
Captain
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

I searched a bit, but could not get a definitive answer. Should we use a OTG cable in place of a normal usb cable, to connect the RC to Smartphone, and why?
What is the use of a OTG cable, why is it different than a normal usb cable?
Would it improve input lag, etc?

Any advise.
Cheers
2018-8-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

It is the same cable to my knowledge, OTG (On The Go) simply means that you can connect your mobile device to the RC via cable (for Mavic you actually need the cable connection).
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. The names refer to two different parts of the USB technology, but they're very similar. After all, if a device "supports USB-OTG," it must support acting in "host mode". The converse is often the case, but not always. Most Android devices that support host mode do so via USB-OTG, but there are a few counterexamples: the original Asus Eee Pad Transformer, for example, has USB-A sockets in its keyboard, allowing it to act in host mode without a USB-OTG cable. And of course PCs support host mode without USB-OTG. So although the terms are usually used to mean the same thing in the Android world - can I plug a USB stick into my phone? - and for most devices it makes no difference which you're talking about, there is a distinction.
2018-8-17
Use props
Charissa
Captain
South Africa

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-17 03:42
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. The names refer to two different parts of the USB technology, but they're very similar. After all, if a device "supports USB-OTG," it must support acting in "host mode". The converse is often the case, but not always. Most Android devices that support host mode do so via USB-OTG, but there are a few counterexamples: the original Asus Eee Pad Transformer, for example, has USB-A sockets in its keyboard, allowing it to act in host mode without a USB-OTG cable. And of course PCs support host mode without USB-OTG. So although the terms are usually used to mean the same thing in the Android world - can I plug a USB stick into my phone? - and for most devices it makes no difference which you're talking about, there is a distinction.

Thanks. So the supplied cables with the Mavic Air is all OTG cables?
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-17 03:49
Thanks. So the supplied cables with the Mavic Air is all OTG cables?

Hi, yes that is correct. Should you have any concerns don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2018-8-17
Use props
Charissa
Captain
South Africa

Thanks, appreciate. Wonder, the cables that comes supplied with new smartphones, to charge the device, would they also be OTG cables?
2018-8-17
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-17 03:53
Thanks, appreciate. Wonder, the cables that comes supplied with new smartphones, to charge the device, would they also be OTG cables?

Should work the 'OTG' cable is just an adaptor.
2018-8-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Aardvark Posted at 2018-8-17 08:04
Should work the 'OTG' cable is just an adaptor.

Yes, they do work.
2018-8-17
Use props
GoFly Drone
Captain
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>

nice detailed reply Gamora , so nice to see instead of the stock responses most Admins use ...lol lol
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GoFly Drone Posted at 2018-8-17 08:47
nice detailed reply Gamora , so nice to see instead of the stock responses most Admins use ...lol lol

Hi, thank you for your appreciating. Should you have any concerns don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2018-8-17
Use props
Charissa
Captain
South Africa

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-17 08:52
Hi, thank you for your appreciating. Should you have any concerns don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

Agree, thank u for your time and effort. Appreciated.
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-17 09:43
Agree, thank u for your time and effort. Appreciated.

Hi, thank you as well. Have a safe flight always.
2018-8-17
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Nice information
learnt something new today  
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

jacksonnai Posted at 2018-8-18 03:23
Nice information
learnt something new today

Hi, thank you. Have a safe flight always.
2018-8-18
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Fewer good reply from the admin. They should do more like this no just copy the standard answer.
2018-8-18
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-18 03:33
Hi, thank you. Have a safe flight always.

You are welcome
2018-8-18
Use props
Schuffd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 74990 ft
Ireland

So is there difference with the cables? I mean the DJI cable is plugged in at the side of the Mavic Air, and I always see transmission and connection errors (even on the beach with nothing around 2 miles) But when I use a regular USB cable  from my iPhone and plug it to the USB on the RC at the bottom front it seems to be better. Why? Recommendations?
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-17 03:53

Hi, yes that would work. Thank you
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

GDL Posted at 2018-8-18 03:50
Fewer good reply from the admin. They should do more like this no just copy the standard answer.

Hi, thanks for appreciating. Have a safe flight.
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Schuffd Posted at 2018-8-19 08:43
So is there difference with the cables? I mean the DJI cable is plugged in at the side of the Mavic Air, and I always see transmission and connection errors (even on the beach with nothing around 2 miles) But when I use a regular USB cable  from my iPhone and plug it to the USB on the RC at the bottom front it seems to be better. Why? Recommendations?

Hi, can you please send a photo of the supplied cable? Is it somehow loose when plugged in or damaged? Let us know so we could help you. Thank you.
2018-8-19
Use props
Schuffd
Second Officer
Ireland

The cable seems normal to me, its since he first time I use the Mavic air (February 2018)
2018-8-19
Use props
Schuffd
Second Officer
Ireland

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-19 09:38
Hi, can you please send a photo of the supplied cable? Is it somehow loose when plugged in or damaged? Let us know so we could help you. Thank you.

So any idea?
2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, seemed to be fine to me. But have you noticed when you run your thumb and index fingers thru the cables are there any nodes? We don't know for certain here on our end maybe the wires are about to cut off or loose.
2018-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules