New drone user struggling with firmware update
1593 16 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sortoffilms
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hello.
I have a phantom 4 and am new to drones. I'm going to be getting a license for commercial videography so need to get this drone in the air for practise.

I've been struggling to update it to the newest firmware for a while but currently, I believe I've managed to update the drone firmware by connecting the Samsung tablet directly to it whilst having the remote controller switched on. That took a while.

Now it tells me the remote controller needs a firmware update too and this is where things start to get weird.

In the GO App (Version 4.2.24), I navigate to 'overall status' where it tells me:

'remote controller update is required. For more details, please refer to firmware update tutorial videos in Academy.
Download Finished. Download Version 1.7.80
Then a 'Start Update' button.

If I connect the tablet to the RC using a mirco USB to micro USB cable, DJI GO app tells me it's Disconnected and the update doesn't begin.

If I connect with a micro USB to standard USB cable, it takes me to a white screen which says:

'Current DJI Device: Inspire 1
Use the DJI GO App for this DJI Device'

And all you can do from there is go to the app store to download the older version of GO, which doesn't include P4 in any way.

In summary, the app seems to think the RC is an Inspire1.

I've seen some comments about downloading firmware to a USB stick and doing it that way but can't find the firmware to download as I thought it all had to come through the apps or DJI assistant these days.

I've tried connecting the RC to the computer to see if you can do it via DJI assistant and nothing happens.

My RC is the GL300C

Any advice or help is gratefully received.
Ed

2018-8-17
Use props
sortoffilms
lvl.1
United Kingdom

2018-8-17
Use props
sortoffilms
lvl.1
United Kingdom

2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you are having with updating the firmware of your remote controller. May I ask for the exact model of your Samsung tablet were you downloaded the DJI Go 4 app? We're here to help you with this. Thank you.
2018-8-17
Use props
sortoffilms
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-17 05:47
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you are having with updating the firmware of your remote controller. May I ask for the exact model of your Samsung tablet were you downloaded the DJI Go 4 app? We're here to help you with this. Thank you.

Samsung Galaxy Tablet Model SM-T585
Thanks,
Ed
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

sortoffilms Posted at 2018-8-17 05:54
Samsung Galaxy Tablet Model SM-T585
Thanks,
Ed

Hi, unfortunately this tablet is not yet fully supported. If you can download the app from some of the list of devices below, please do. We will forward this concern to our engineers for future development. Thank you.

2018-8-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

The firmware on the P4 can be upgraded to latest version V02.00.0700 either using DJI Go 4 on device connected to RC, or using a programme called DJI Assistant 2. Which needs to be run on a P.C or Mac computer and connected to aircraft via USB lead. When you connect your aircraft to computer you should see a 'P4' icon appear on Assistant 2 screen (you are logged into your DJI account on Assistant 2 ? ), if not then there might be a USB driver problem.

When the aircraft is at version V02.00.0700 then the RC (GL300C) needs to be at firmware version V1.9.3, if it is not then the RC and the P4 will not communicate well, with broken video signals etc.

When you power up aircraft and RC only (no display connected), does the first LED on RC turn green after a short while (P4 takes about 20-30 seconds to go through its initialisation) ?
If so then the RC and P4 are talking to each other. If not then try relinking RC to P4.

Edit:- have you an iPhone or iPad you could 'borrow' to help set things up and eliminate any potential problems there 'might' be with Android device and latest DJI Go 4 App' ?
2018-8-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-17 06:00
Hi, unfortunately this tablet is not yet fully supported. If you can download the app from some of the list of devices below, please do. We will forward this concern to our engineers for future development. Thank you.

[view_image]

Why do you continue to give such irrelevant "advice"?
The model of tablet has nothing to do with the issue he's asking for help on.
It's completely irrelevant.

If you don't have any idea, it would be better to avoid commenting.
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-17 13:48
Why do you continue to give such irrelevant "advice"?
The model of tablet has nothing to do with the issue he's asking for help on.
It's completely irrelevant.

Hi, with all due respect this is not a irrelevant advice, as I've said we will coordinate this with our engineers to update the current devices listed on our website. Thank you.
2018-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-18 02:16
Hi, with all due respect this is not a irrelevant advice, as I've said we will coordinate this with our engineers to update the current devices listed on our website. Thank you.

Wwith all due respect I'm telling you that it is completely irrelevant.
The tablet he uses has nothing to do with a firmware update, nothing at all.

As for the line you love to copy and paste about "this tablet is not yet fully supported", that's usually nonsense as well.
DJI have no idea what tablets work well, because DJI just don't do any testing.
Therfe are great tablets out there that are as good or better than any on the very short list that DJI have and DJI are never going to test them.

2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 2018-8-18 03:17
Wwith all due respect I'm telling you that it is completely irrelevant.
The tablet he uses has nothing to do with a firmware update, nothing at all.

Hi, we welcome all of your comments and some suggestions. But we never stop developing here at DJI especially our engineers to came up with another batch of supported devices. Thank you.
2018-8-18
Use props
sortoffilms
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice everyone.

An update...

I've now tried connecting 3 different devices (Samsung Galaxy tablet mentioned above, Samsung S9 and Samsung S6) to the RC using DJI Go 4. The same thing is happening with all 3 devices - as soon as I plug it in, it takes me to the screen telling me it's an Inspire 1. I'm therefore not convinced that it's the device that's the issue Gamora.

I've also tried DJI Assistant 2 again, going straight into the aircraft via USB and with the RC also switched on at the same time but with no screen/device connected to the RC. The software recognises it as a P4 and takes me straight to the firmware page. Here, it tells me that the current firmware is V01.01.0411 (so the update I thought that had worked vis GO obviously hasn't actually worked). It then offers me two versions of the newer firmware to install, including V02.00.0700 and the option to restore factory defaults. When clicking upgrade for either firmware option, it gets to 98% or 99% then fails. I've tried various times and various combinations of switching off and on again, restoring factory defaults first etc etc. Nothing seems to work.

The RC has a pale blue light and the 3rd of the 4 battery lights is flashing.

The aircraft has two solid red lights at the front and two flashing amber lights at the back.

Thanks for any advice!

2018-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

sortoffilms Posted at 2018-8-20 01:55
Thanks for the advice everyone.

An update...

"I've also tried DJI Assistant 2 again, going straight into the aircraft via USB and with the RC also switched on at the same time but with no screen/device connected to the RC."

When connected to PC there is no need for RC to be on, all is done via the internet. There's a small chance that this could be stalling the update to aircraft. Try again with RC off.
It usually 'downloads' the data to pc, then 'transmits' it to the aircraft (via USB lead), the aircraft then does its update.

If this update succeeds then RC can be updated as follows:-

With RC and display connected (aircraft off), and display has a good wifi connection to internet. Run DJI Go 4 (V4.2.6 and above) and tap 'enter device'. Open the 'aircraft status' screen by tapping the screen at top edge where it says 'disconnected'. The top line 'Overall Status' should show a red triangle if update of RC to V1.9.3 is available (this may take a minute or two to appear). When it does then tap on that and it should take you through the process to update RC. This is all done via wifi to the display device running DJI Go 4, this pdates RC without any additional equipment or App's. If this does not work then reboot display device and RC then try again. That may make the difference to your display.

The pale blue light usually indicates the RC is waiting to link to aircraft, but this doesn't seem to be the case here, it is more likely that it's not communicating correctly with aircraft (if all was good it would be green).

Two solid red lights at front are quite normal and are the front 'Navigation' lights.

The rear lights are the aircraft status indicators, and if they're fast flashing yellow then this is an indication aircraft is not talking to RC:-

Have a look at the manual page 66/67 for details:- https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... ser_Manual_v1.6.pdf

2018-8-20
Use props
sortoffilms
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thank you. I'll be able to come back to this tomorrow and will be trying with an iPad first of all.

If that fails, I'll try the above.
2018-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

sortoffilms Posted at 2018-8-20 02:30
Thank you. I'll be able to come back to this tomorrow and will be trying with an iPad first of all.

If that fails, I'll try the above.

The problem you are seeing with the tablets is because DJI Go 4 interrogates the aircraft via the RC communication. If there is no connection (as seems to be the case here) then DJI Go 4 shows its 'default' screen (how to connect an inspire, as process is slightly different to other models).

I feel it is unlikely you would have any more success with the iPad at this present time. If you can get RC talking to aircraft (1st LED green) then the iPad would be a good choice for updating via DJI Go 4. Other than that it's back to Assistant 2.

Try to reset the RC (I'm not sure if this will work, but worth a try).
* Turn on the controller, the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2 (The two buttons on back of RC), and shutter (top right button nearest antenna) on the controller and hold for about 2 seconds or so until it beeps (D-DDD), then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote if needed.

The Re-Link can be done manually (without using DJI Go):-

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller, wait 30 seconds for aircraft to initialise.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button (top left button) on the controller, then the controller will beep 'D-DD'.
*Let go all fingers, then press the wheel on the right side of the controller (It's a 'click wheel', similar to a mouse wheel) and then the first light of the controller will flash blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds (the button doubles up as LED to left of SD card slot), and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will link soon.
2018-8-20
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Personally, if I’m not having any issues and I am happy with current performance I never upgrade anything, ever. Remember, not all updates should be considered “updates” DJI can be very sneaky at times.... I know this doesn’t help with your current situation but for future reference......
2018-8-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-8-20 03:14
Personally, if I’m not having any issues and I am happy with current performance I never upgrade anything, ever. Remember, not all updates should be considered “updates” DJI can be very sneaky at times.... I know this doesn’t help with your current situation but for future reference......

There were many improvements made to the P4 from 01.01.0411, the next build gets rid of the sudden drop when the P4 came to a stop (it was significant drop at times of 10-20ft if I remember).

Additional intelligent flight modes were also added, along with landing protection, landing precision, improved RTH procedure etc. And there could be a number of fixes included which don't get a mention. Being able to disable VPS was one such if I remember.

So a number of goodies there.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 4+Release+Notes.zip
2018-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules