Have flight data in CsvView and DatCon, but what's it mean?
2381 8 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
p4pEric
lvl.2

United States

Hello. Hoping some of you have experience with this. Bare with me, this is not my area of expertise and I have never used either application before today.
A client of mine had a drone crash recently and we are trying to figure out exaclty what happened. This is the second time this has happened in a month, so it is of particular interest to us what exactly is going wrong with the drone.

I have CsvView and DatCon with data open, I just don't know exaclty what to do with it all.

For example, there are 9 DAT files pertaining to the most recent crash that I have and I've opened them sequentially in CsvView, all labeled FLY038.DAT through FLY046.DAT.

First question, Are they even in chronological order? I noticed in CsvView that the x-axis (which i assumed to be time relative to flight) changed in range but not sequentially, some had larger spans, some smaller, most overlapping. Not sure what to do with the info or why the files look different.

Second question. In DatCon, we opened the same 9 files, while it seems intuitive to find takeoff time, altitude and other obvious flight data like battery, engine output ect, we werent able to make much sense of it. Also noticed that the engine power data i got in CsvView did not match up with the engine power data i got in DatCon.

2018-8-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you want help understanding an incident, give some description of what happened and then go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.

2018-8-17
Use props
p4pEric
lvl.2

United States

Thanks, The crash in question was a P4P out on an autopilot mission, It made it almost to the site and it was described as a power on dive, the initial data suggested that it was trying to do an emergency landing but again, don't know if we were looking at it right.
2018-8-17
Use props
BudWalker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

For example, there are 9 DAT files pertaining to the most recent crash that I have and I've opened them sequentially in CsvView, all labeled FLY038.DAT through FLY046.DAT.

First question, Are they even in chronological order? I noticed in CsvView that the x-axis (which i assumed to be time relative to flight) changed in range but not sequentially, some had larger spans, some smaller, most overlapping. Not sure what to do with the info or why the files look different.

The 9 .DATs are from different flights. .DATs don't "overlap". They are in chronological order. Just one of those .DATs will have the crash that you're looking for.
The Static Values Panel in CsvView will have the dateTime of the flight. Maybe this can help you figure out which .DAT is the crash flight. 2018-08-17_16-21-19.jpg

Also noticed that the engine power data i got in CsvView did not match up with the engine power data i got in DatCon.

This isn't possible since CsvView uses DatCon to do the conversion. If you could provide an example .DAT where you think this happeneing we could take a look.  You'll need to Dropbox or GoogleDrive the .DAT.

2018-8-17
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 6orderby%3Ddateline
2018-8-17
Use props
p4pEric
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the responses guys. I am BRAND new at this so that makes sense and I do see the time stamps now! We have a public drive that contains the . DAT files, link below. The file in question we have narrowed down to the 038 file. If you could take a look that would be awesome! Thanks much.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KhF2d7x-zmf4siL8QHM9WGg6qf4J1cUk

2018-8-17
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

p4pEric Posted at 2018-8-17 16:39
Thanks for the responses guys. I am BRAND new at this so that makes sense and I do see the time stamps now!  We have a public drive that contains the . DAT files, link below. The file in question we have narrowed down to the 038 file. If you could take a look that would be awesome! Thanks much.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-w_IQ9Kp5AHg/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAAA/AAnnY7pOu-0x5PD-bAUAkE5ROLoCVSBc2w/s32-c-k-no-mo/photo.jpg[/img]

See post #2, the Phantomhelp option produces a much easier to understand interpretation of the data.
2018-8-17
Use props
BudWalker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is an abrupt power loss incident. Either a battery disconnect or a battery failure. The best way to see this by looking at motorVolts data because it is fast enough to see this and battery data is too slow. At time 42.618 secs the motorVolts dropped from around 15 volts to around 7 volts.
2018-08-17_18-11-16.jpg

Was the battery intact when the P4P was recovered?

There have been a lot of incidents like this lately. Discussed both here and over on phantompilots.com.

You may have noticed the flat line after 42.618 secs. That's actually a gap in the data (CsvView doesn't make this obvious). Gaps like this occur because the .DAT file wasn't closed properly when there was the abrupt power loss.
2018-08-17_18-11-16.jpg
2018-8-17
Use props
p4pEric
lvl.2

United States

Thanks guys, very helpful.
2018-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules