Gimbal motor overload
7653 25 2018-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gadgetmann123
lvl.2
United States

I am getting this message and the camera jerks suddenly in all different directions.  Yes, the gimbal clamp is removed.  I have a new controller which is synced and works with the aircraft and I have downloaded and updated to the latest firmware.  Any ideas?  thanks
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I do apologize for the inconvenience caused. I would like to clarify, may I know what's the specific model of Mavic do you have? Thanks.
2018-8-17
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Might want to check if anything is physically stuck in the gimbal (maybe after a crash?). I read once where a user was having this problem and found "bug juice" coating the gimbal axis and had to gently clean it for the gimbal to function again.

Other than that, does the gimbal go through the power on cycle smoothly or does it jerk then too? Is this something that happens by itself or does the jerkiness happen when you're moving the gimbal (a video showing this might shed some light).

Lastly, there is something commonly know as "the gimbal reset bug" where the gimbal will go through it's calibration sequence for no apparent reason during normal flight. DJI has known about this for months and it hasn't been fixed yet. If this is what you are seeing, don't let it worry you. Yes, it'll scare the crap out of you when it happens but it seems to be benign.
2018-8-17
Use props
Gadgetmann123
lvl.2
United States

It is a Mavik Pro.

I don't see anything physically stuck in the gimbal anywhere.  

It starts up doing it immediately without even moving the aircraft.   This is a huge learning curve for me as I am investigating this for a friend that has loaned it to me.  As noted, it is a new controller but it syncs and the aircraft flies but the camera is un usable as it jerks around on it's own.  
2018-8-17
Use props
Gadgetmann123
lvl.2
United States

It used to work fine before this new controller and he has a new controller as the it has had different cords/adapters that were pushed in and it had some bent pins in there and it no longer accepted the Micro USB plug to charge it.   The aircraft has not been in a crash.
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Gadgetmann123 Posted at 2018-8-17 10:59
It is a Mavik Pro.

I don't see anything physically stuck in the gimbal anywhere.  

Hi, thanks for the response. Could you please try to calibrate your Gimbal? You may watch the video tutorial below for reference. Thank you.

2018-8-17
Use props
Gadgetmann123
lvl.2
United States

I tried to calibrate the gimbal and it goes to 5% and stops and after about 5 minutes it says...........Tips    Gimbal calibration failed.
2018-8-17
Use props
Gadgetmann123
lvl.2
United States

Also, while it is trying to calibrate, the camera jerks around like it does on start up.   
2018-8-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Gadgetmann123 Posted at 2018-8-17 11:40
Also, while it is trying to calibrate, the camera jerks around like it does on start up.

Hi, sorry for the late response. I would suggest restoring factory defaults and refresh the firmware of the DJI Assistant 2 using your computer aftward reboot the unit and re-calibrate the Mavic Pro, however, if the issue will persist I'm afraid the unit needs to be in-serviced for further evaluation. Please see the link for you to download the DJI Assistant 2.

https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
2018-8-17
Use props
Gadgetmann123
lvl.2
United States

Ok, I restored factory defaults and refresh the DJI Asst 2 and rebooted and re calibrated it.  The issue still persists.
Is there a flat rate for repair or is it a case by case repair?  thanks
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Gadgetmann123 Posted at 2018-8-18 11:57
Ok, I restored factory defaults and refresh the DJI Asst 2 and rebooted and re calibrated it.  The issue still persists.
Is there a flat rate for repair or is it a case by case repair?  thanks

Hi, we're sorry to hear about that. In regards to the rate for repair, it will be a case to case basis because we need to analyze what would be the problem with your drone. I highly recommend you send it in for us to determine the issue and our repair team will update you on the invoice. You may start up a case online: https://repair.dji.com. You can also contact our support team by dialing +1 (818) 235 0789 for further assistance. Thank you.
2018-8-18
Use props
wombat13at
New
Flight distance : 28284 ft

mine did same thing it turned out to be a bit of grit in pivot cleaned out all good now
2018-8-18
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I had my Mavic pro and Platinum there were certain brand of ND filters that would get stuck with the movement of the camera.
2018-8-18
Use props
Gadgetmann123
lvl.2
United States

I see there are many, many posts in here about gimbal motor overload and I certainly would like this issue to stop.  I am hesitant to send it in as others have done this and the same issue re appears and I see that the cost of this repair may be $365 or more?  Seems quite high for a camera and gimbal since you can buy a used one in good shape for just a bit more than that?   Can anyone else chime in on their cost to repair this issue?  thanks
2018-8-20
Use props
Gadgetmann123
lvl.2
United States

Now that is odd.........all the gimbal issues reported on here and no one has sent one in for repair so they can advise the cost of the repair?
2018-8-24
Use props
RadioFlyerMan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2594032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-8-17 10:49
Might want to check if anything is physically stuck in the gimbal (maybe after a crash?). I read once where a user was having this problem and found "bug juice" coating the gimbal axis and had to gently clean it for the gimbal to function again.

Other than that, does the gimbal go through the power on cycle smoothly or does it jerk then too? Is this something that happens by itself or does the jerkiness happen when you're moving the gimbal (a video showing this might shed some light).

I can verify that the gimbal reset bug still exists. About every 5 th flight it will do a reset. Even after all the updates etc as of 10/18/2018.
2018-10-18
Use props
fansb7cd5f76
New

Australia

I fixed this. Exact same issue. Gimbal doing crazy jerking movements. Gimbal overload message. Can't get past 5% of the calibration.

The fix was to man handle the gimbal. I poked it around and one of the four mounts 'clicked' in to space. It was happy immediately. I must have dislodged it previously by putting it down on something unusual with weird pressure on it.

Ymmv.
2019-3-2
Use props
Bo_Zire
lvl.1
United States

On 3/17/2019, My Mavic Pro that I bought last year is doing the same thing- out of nowhere. I haven't flown it much this winter, so there have been no crashes or wear and tear. It just went nuts  after I started it up. It is this same exact issue described here. I tried everything imaginable, and this thing is just toast. It's barely a year old. It also WILL NOT RESET or recalibrate.
2019-3-17
Use props
djiuser_W5J9CywUxC60
New

United States

Bo_Zire Posted at 3-17 15:19
On 3/17/2019, My Mavic Pro that I bought last year is doing the same thing- out of nowhere. I haven't flown it much this winter, so there have been no crashes or wear and tear. It just went nuts  after I started it up. It is this same exact issue described here. I tried everything imaginable, and this thing is just toast. It's barely a year old. It also WILL NOT RESET or recalibrate.

I have the exact same problem. I haven’t flown my drone all winter and I just got it out and my gimbal is going crazy. This doesn’t seem like a user caused problem.
2019-3-18
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10326581 ft
Canada

the only time that ever happened to me was that I had a very small crash, now the drone worked good for about 3 or 4 more flights but then the warnings came on gimbal overload, I did have care refresh and it ended costing me 212.00 CDN. If you say there was no crash then by all means send it in for repairs, if there is a glitz I am quite positive that DJI will not charge you.
2019-3-22
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

This just happened to me a few days ago with my zoom, and I just took a small brush and cleaned all of the gimbal area and it went away. I think if dirt, dust or sand gets into your gimbal it will create this message.
2019-3-22
Use props
Jman1976
lvl.1
Flight distance : 96814 ft
United States

Did you send your craft in for repair or did you get it to work? Mine just started this today for no apparent reason. No crashes etc. I always use the gimbal lock when not flying the craft.
2019-4-8
Use props
Jman1976
lvl.1
United States

I had this issue. I searched the forum and saw that many have had this problem. It isn’t and easy fix but it can be done.
2019-4-21
Use props
Jman1976
lvl.1
United States

I had this problem. Searched the forum and saw how many others had this problem. I searched YouTube and found the issue is a faulty ribbon cable. I purchased a new cable on Amazon for 12.00 it took me about 2 hours to fireplace the cable. Now that I have done it once I could probably do it again in about an hour. Now....I’m not certain that the ribbon cable was totally at fault. I ordered it because that was the most common issue found for this problem. When I tore the unit down to make the repair I noted that one of the main power cables going to the gimbal circuit board was loose. This could have been the source of the entire issue however I was into it deep and decided to replace the gimbal ribbon cable anyway. All works great now!!
2019-4-21
Use props
d4ichone
New
United Kingdom

I have the same problem with my Mavric pro , not used it all winter now getting gimble over current warnings, camera wont move just jerks and points to one side also recalibration stops at 5% updated the firmware but made no difference. Any suggestion should? It’s not been crashed and only has about an hour or so flight time
2019-7-9
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 720446 ft
Canada

djiuser_W5J9CywUxC60 Posted at 3-18 04:51
I have the exact same problem. I haven’t flown my drone all winter and I just got it out and my gimbal is going crazy. This doesn’t seem like a user caused problem.

Wow same situation here! Did u get it fixed???
2019-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules