Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
4K footage and Premiere Pro CC
27263 24 2015-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dstahl
New
Flight distance : 119656 ft
United States

I'm wondering if anyone out there has experience with the 4K footage the Phantom 3 produces and how it plays with Premiere Pro CC.  If so, do you have any suggested export settings to get the most resolution out of the footage - without having to buy a new server farm.

Does Premiere Pro import the footage natively, or does it have to be converted first?

Another (possibly dumb) question:  Is it possible to configure the 4K camera to shoot in 1080P if 4K ultra resolution is not needed in a particular shoot?  In other words, can you dumb it down to save disk space?

Thanks

2015-5-26
Use props
Phantom_Film
First Officer
Flight distance : 1609482 ft
Greece

I use a i7 12 gb ram pc.
Handles 4k mov and mp4 files from phantom 3 just fine. I usually export it for YT 1080p,  if i want just a YT upload.
Sometimes i export 4k if needed.

Yes Premiere imports video as is, no need for conversion.

Of course you can set the camera through dji pilot app to record 1080p.

Regards
Elias
2015-5-26
Use props
dstahl
New
Flight distance : 119656 ft
United States

Phantom_Film Posted at 2015-5-27 07:32
I use a i7 12 gb ram pc.
Handles 4k mov and mp4 files from phantom 3 just fine. I usually export it  ...

Thank you Elias!
2015-5-27
Use props
Phantom_Film
First Officer
Flight distance : 1609482 ft
Greece

Hope you have fun flying and getting video with the P3P.

I really like it so much over P2.

2015-5-28
Use props
Sindymaya
New

Japan

4K Footage is too bigger for Adobe Premiere. So you can’t import 4K Footage to Adobe Premiere and edit it. If you dont want to buy a new server farm, you can search a free converter to convert 4K to MPEG-2, the best format that Premiere Pro supported.
2015-6-16
Use props
Sindymaya
New

Japan

4K Footage is too bigger for Adobe Premiere. So you can’t import 4K Footage to Adobe Premiere and edit it. If you dont want to buy a new server farm, you can search a free converter to convert 4K to MPEG-2, the best format that Premiere Pro supported.
2015-6-16
Use props
DanH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 315177 ft
France

Premiere Pro CC 2014 (and now 2015) imports, plays and exports 4K files without any problem, but you'll need quite a strong PC !
2015-6-16
Use props
monica66
lvl.3

United States

If you recorded some videos by DJI Phantom 3, you may like editing the 4K videos . Of course, Premiere is your best choice. With this professional editing software, you can do anything as you want. But, we can't import the DJI Phantom 3 4K videos to Adobe Premiere directly due to the codec incompatibility. The Phantom 3 recored MOV files are compressed using the h.264 codec, which is final delivery codec and it is not one you want to use for editing. Have a try to downscale 4K to 1080P for editing in Premiere.

2015-7-20
Use props
Othan1
lvl.3

United States

I have the Pro and regularly edit and export 4K video on my machine with Adobe Premiere Pro.  I'm only running an i5, 3.5GHz with 8GB memory.  No lag or hiccups.
2015-7-20
Use props
Snowman
lvl.1

Finland

Besides great detail, 4K is great because it leaves room for zooming and such if the exported file is 1080. I run Premiere Pro CC with 6-core i7 5820, 32gb ram, Gtx970 4gb and 3x fast SSD - runs fine in 4K if no heavy effects are applied.

I found that my previous machine (4-core 2500K @ 4,7ghz , 16gb, 1 ssd, slow ati gpu) was too slow for my purposes, real-time effects caused serious lag. Using proxy files helped a little, of course. So, it is possible, but perhaps not so snappy and enjoyable
2015-7-21
Use props
alexassenmacher
Captain
Flight distance : 216430 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I do have some issues with my iMac (2 years old) when editing 4k on cs6 that desperate me sometimes, however there is always the possibility to create a 1080p sequence and scale the footage down to framesize, for smooth editing.  Afterwards you can copy it back to the original sequence (4k) with no problem.
2015-7-21
Use props
soerheim.emil
lvl.1
Norway

Use Corel. It's much faster than PP and Vegas.
2015-7-21
Use props
filmworx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9931 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

post deleted..
2015-7-21
Use props
KaiserSoze9
Captain
Flight distance : 34753871 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I've a Asus G750 laptop (i7, 16gb ram, gtx770m 3gb) two years old and 4k vids running smooth working in Premiere with no effect applied.  
4k downscaled looks way better of 1080 native shots. Give a look:

2015-7-21
Use props
CaveDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

I don't have any issues with 4k using a cheapo $99 premiere elements 13 on my i5 PC with a SSD drive.  Is your Pro Version hosted on the cloud?  If so, that could be the problem..
2015-7-21
Use props
williamsheck
lvl.1

United States

My own early workflow incorporates Adobe Prelude (which utilizes Adobe Media Encoder) to prep all clips before ingesting into Premiere. You can also trim your clips in Prelude. In video projects unrelated to Drone videography, I've thrown video clips from multiple sources (cameras) onto the Premiere timeline and it intelligently conforms all clips. The Mercury Playback engine is beneficial, particularly if you have a video card that can handle the workload with its GPU. I was always a MAC guy when it came to video editing. But 18 months ago, with 4k on the horizon, I decided to do a home build PC. I built a i7 6-core machine with 32 gb RAM, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 780 video card, X79 Dark motherboard, A solid state boot drive, and four 1 TB storage drives . . . all for under $3,000. A similar MAC Pro would be close to $10,000. I am no longer a Fan Boy of either system. I just use what works best and costs less. Because in a few short years, it's a doorstop . . . and we're onto the next big thing.
2015-7-21
Use props
mikedaniels
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48986 ft
United States

Premiere cc 2015 is great if it is hosted on a good computer. The video card is of key importance for playback. I use the Nvidia Gtx 980. I normally output it for YouTube at 2160. Just import the video (.Mov or Mp4) from the P3p to an internal H.D. Premiere will interpolate the video for the timeline. You can set your P3P for 1080 if you don't want to work in 4K.
2015-7-21
Use props
kjetil.svendsen
lvl.1

Norway

mikedaniels Posted at 2015-7-22 08:02
Premiere cc 2015 is great if it is hosted on a good computer. The video card is of key importance fo ...

My video lags when editing on the timeline - what sequence settings are you using?
I am on a i7 ASUS with 10GB ram and a 1GB Geforce gfxcard. Do you do anything in the Nvidia panel to set it up?
2015-10-28
Use props
mikedaniels
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48986 ft
United States

kjetil.svendsen Posted at 2015-10-28 23:29
My video lags when editing on the timeline - what sequence settings are you using?
I am on a i7 AS ...

You might need to bump up to at least 16-32 gb ram & Nvidia Gtx 660 or I have the Gtx 980 w/4gb ram. 4K plays real time unrendered.
2015-10-30
Use props
kjetil.svendsen
lvl.1

Norway

Using handbrake to transcode the files to MPEG-2, keeping the other settings as is. Seems to work like a charm in Premiere CC 2014.
2016-2-27
Use props
larrycurl
New

United States

Sindymaya Posted at 2015-6-16 22:56
4K Footage is too bigger for Adobe Premiere. So you can’t import 4K Footage to Adobe Premiere and e ...

4K works fine in premiere on my mac.
2016-9-25
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.4

United States

The 4K MP4/MOV video recorded by DJI Phantom 3 are compressed with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 codec, which is are included in Adobe Premiere Pro supported file formats list.

However, for those people who wish to get a high performance and high quality workflow, editing DJI Phantom 3 4K H.264 with Premiere Pro CC won't be a good choice. The main reason is that H.264 has the following limitations when using as an editing codec:
1. H.264 is mathematically intense. It takes some serious computer horsepower to decode its compression.
2. Because it is so mathematically challenging, it takes longer to render H.264 files than other formats.
3. H.264, as shot by HDSLR cameras, is an 8-bit format, which means that you are potentially compromising your effects and, especially, color correction and compositing with gradients.
4. H.264 does not integrate easily with other video formats.
2017-4-10
Use props
NasirUllah
New

United States

Frankly speaking, although Adobe Premiere Pro is compatible with MP4, MOV file format, a compressed output MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 MP4/MOV from Phantom 3 is not ideal for editing. What’s more, Adobe PP CS6, CC can handle 4K files without much problem, but it is extremely hardware intensive. In this cae, if you actually wanna edit the DJI Phantom 3 4K footages in Premiere Pro, the recommended suggestion is to transcode DJI Phantom 3 Professional 4K video to Premiere Pro best editing codec - MPEG-2 , which ensures the maximum editing quality and efficiency when working with Premiere Pro CS6/CS5/CS4/CC.
2017-5-27
Use props
christing
lvl.3

Japan

Here is the DJI Phantom 3 to Premiere Pro as well as FCP, Avid MC workflow.
2017-8-8
Use props
Supercaliber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 249364 ft
  • >>>
United States

christing Posted at 2017-8-8 18:18
Here is the DJI Phantom 3 to Premiere Pro as well as FCP, Avid MC workflow.

Doesn't FCPX convert the .mov files to Apple Pro Res on import?
2017-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules