Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost Mavic Air today..!! Will DJI give replacement.?
12Next >
17114 44 2018-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 169137 ft
India

Hi there,

It was a bad day. I have flown my aircraft to shoot one of the waterfalls in my country India. The weather was good and i don't have any warnings during take off. So I have started to aircraft.

When the aircraft is 102m.  I lost control over my drone due to high wind velocity. Then I hit return to home. The I got a message saying that it's returning home point. After few seconds its started to notify backward and forward sensing is not functioning. After 2 mins I can't able to see my drone.

Then I have taken my flight record and went to the aircraft missing coordinates. Searched more than 4 hours. It was not my day and I don't have any luck.

I have uploaded the flight record details in the DJI problem report option.
Screenshot_20180818-123345.jpg
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

I'm sorry to read the flyaway. Please contact our support team and start a case first: (https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav). I would recommend you forward your flight records to our support for further analysis. You can provide your case number here in case you need further assistance.  

2018-8-18
Use props
djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5
lvl.1
India

Hi..I have sent the flight record logs to the team. Also sent mails to customer support of Europe and US.
2018-8-18
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Sorry to read that
2018-8-18
Use props
nixuspix
Captain
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Can You post your flight record log here as well, to be able to try to understand, what might have been happened to your drone?
2018-8-18
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

You should switch to sport mode if have high wind and fly back manually. RTH unable to handle strong wind. Sport mode able to handle higher wind. As the drone is close to you in hundred meters. It’s safer to handle manually.
2018-8-18
Use props
djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5
lvl.1
India

Within two minutes...the drone was flying away. It's totally out of control with my Remote. It's not listening any remote operation.
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5 Posted at 2018-8-18 02:22
Hi..I have sent the flight record logs to the team. Also sent mails to customer support of Europe and US.

Do you have a case number already? If yes, kindly provide your case number here so that I can check it on my end. Thanks.
2018-8-18
Use props
djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5
lvl.1
India

Hi..I have reported this with the problem section of DJI app. I didn't get case Id for that. But for customer support mail. I got some ticket no.
20180818_165046.jpg
2018-8-18
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss... I too have lost an AC in the past and it sucks. No closure on the loss either really if not found. You must find the drone... without it there is nothing to exchange so without it I would say a definite no. If you do find it and send it in, I am sure somehow this will be a pilot error. I am guessing you did not have satellite connections; the typical for most.

Good luck!
2018-8-18
Use props
djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5
lvl.1
India

What if the sensors and radar are not prone to handle those factors and it's malfunctioneddue to those factors. Obviously there is no pilot error that case. It throws forward and backward sensor are not functioning and exit the system. Well I guess expert also can't handle such cases.
2018-8-18
Use props
DJKOR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

Sorry for your loss. It does reinforce the importance of flying within line of sight. Although there are lots of people (myself included) that will fly beyond this range, you can't simply just rely on the onboard systems to keep you out of trouble. It's like driving aids. No amount of auto-braking and blind spot/lane detection will replace safe driving skills.
2018-8-18
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Captain
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

High winds
Reliance on RTH
Inexperienced pilot....
Sorry but your loss of drone was self inflicted

By the way, the sensors are automatically turned off when the Mavic is tipping forward to fight against a wind to stop inaccurate readings
2018-8-18
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Unless the logs show a hardware error, DJI won't replace the drone. I think in your case you appear to have been flying in wind beyond what the drone could handle and that will be labeled "pilot error" by DJI. Hard lesson I know, but hopefully you will replace the drone and keep flying.
2018-8-18
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 2018-8-18 04:16
High winds
Reliance on RTH
Inexperienced pilot....

Totally agree.
2018-8-18
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sorry to say, but pilot error
2018-8-18
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

"I lost control over my drone due to high wind velocity. Then I hit return to home. The I got a message saying that it's returning home point."

High winds? - You must have ignored the pop-up alerts. (signal to then adjust your flight plan)

RTH - never, ever ever just rely on auto-RTH - learn how to fly manually. There's a very high probability you could've saved the drone. I'm talking from experience as I've had several 'almost lost situations' but managed to fly it back to the home point.

Take it as an expensive learned lesson when you get another drone. It'll be interesting to see your actual flight log.

2018-8-18
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am sorry for your loss, but this will probably go down as an expensive lesson.  Always hone your skills and study the flight manual before attempting difficult flights.
2018-8-18
Use props
Anthony566
First Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Sports mode and drop your hight as much as you can to reduce the wind speed impact. Fingers crossed you manage to find it.
2018-8-18
Use props
djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5
lvl.1
India

I have managed to land it in safer way during my last flights. Even it was very far way in Bali island's. But this one was nightmare. I couldnt do anything over the drone. My RTH was useless and my RemotecontrolLer was not respondingto reduce the heights. I can only see it could not able to position properly. It went away with the winds. Sorry I could not able to attach the flight logs in my mobile. Once i reach home. I will definitelydo it. So that we can have proper insights what went wrong.
2018-8-18
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

From your first screen shot, image, it looks like you still had 18 satelites and was 602 meters from your RC.

602 meters is approx. 1975 feet which really isn't that far from the RC. I've my MA almost 4000 feet from the RC and still had a connection.

Did you check the wind conditions during your pre-flight inspections?

Did you switch RC to Speed mode once you got the first warning about high winds?
2018-8-18
Use props
djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5
lvl.1
India

Out of curiosity...why there is no flight record detail till the landing. As we have seen 18 satellite's were connected. Why DJI is not
Storing any data? . It just disappeared from the altitude of 117m.?? We have tried connect the drone from the missing coordianates after 10 mins. No luck.
2018-8-18
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like 100% operator error.  Flying in windy conditions, not being aware of the conditions and performing the wrong action (hitting RTH) when things went wrong.
The forward and backward errors would be due to the over-pitch as the poor thing fought and failed the wind.

There's no way DJI are going to replace this.  There's no way DJI *SHOULD* replace this.

Operator error, an expensive mistake.

Try searching downwind of that last location if you can get the exact wind direction.

2018-8-18
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Put your flight log here, many eyes can look at it and help you where the problem started.
2018-8-18
Use props
djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5
lvl.1
India

I don't want defend on the point of pilot error. My only question is...why I can't able to see flight record information.?? As we seen the satellite connection were good. I was searching the drone with the downwind direction. Nearly 4 hours has been spend on that missing coordinates. Sometimes you need to be there in the real situations. That makes lot of sense. Instead of pointing 100% pilot error.
2018-8-18
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5 Posted at 2018-8-18 07:08
I don't want defend on the point of pilot error. My only question is...why I can't able to see flight record information.?? As we seen the satellite connection were good. I was searching the drone with the downwind direction. Nearly 4 hours has been spend on that missing coordinates. Sometimes you need to be there in the real situations. That makes lot of sense. Instead of pointing 100% pilot error.

You have the remember the coordinate are not accurate, they could be 60 feet off.  Keep looking around.  It happened to me, I found my drone about 120 feet from where the coordinates shows.  It could be upside down also, that will make it difficult to see.
2018-8-18
Use props
djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5
lvl.1
India

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-8-18 07:04
Put your flight log here, many eyes can look at it and help you where the problem started.

I will be uploading asap.... couldn't do it through my mobile.

The missing coordinates shows the aircraft altitude 117m. There comes lot of possibilities. We have searched more than 200 meters of perimeter.
2018-8-18
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5 Posted at 2018-8-18 07:13
I will be uploading asap.... couldn't do it through my mobile.

The missing coordinates shows the aircraft altitude 117m. There comes lot of possibilities. We have searched more than 200 meters of perimeter.

Trust me the drone is there.  That is all I can say or maybe since you are shooting waterfalls it could have ended in the water.
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_x6V0Rm3wrzq5 Posted at 2018-8-18 03:24
Hi..I have reported this with the problem section of DJI app. I didn't get case Id for that. But for customer support mail. I got some ticket no.

There might be some delay due to the weekend, the team will take care of it and we'll keep an eye on the status as well.
2018-8-18
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

That's a hard flight to say why the end result happened. Hopefully DJI Support will steer you in the right direction and get you back in the air soon. Best of luck.
2018-8-18
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

That's a hard flight to say why the end result happened. Hopefully DJI Support will steer you in the right direction and get you back in the air soon. Best of luck.
2018-8-18
Use props
Atlas_Aus
First Officer

Thailand

GDL Posted at 2018-8-18 02:53
You should switch to sport mode if have high wind and fly back manually. RTH unable to handle strong wind. Sport mode able to handle higher wind. As the drone is close to you in hundred meters. It’s safer to handle manually.

Hi, that's a good tip, thanks for sharing.

Sorry for your loss mate, hope you can find it.
2018-8-18
Use props
Prakasam D
lvl.1
Flight distance : 163671 ft
India

Is the Flight record content is readable? Looks like object file. Also we could not able to upload as it says server IO error.
2018-8-18
Use props
Prakasam D
lvl.1
India

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/SCSNP508NOLDOVKZ9K9R/#

Here is the DJIFlight Record for more information. PLease share you comments after checking this info.

Why there is no Record after 117m?? It just disappeared from that location. It was nightmare for us.
2018-8-19
Use props
Cindav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 108140 ft
Australia

Again.

Why can’t DJI program  RTH to come home regardless of winds

Why can’t the drone sort of engage a semi sports mode the help stronger winds.

Let the drone see the distance is getting greater in RTH, and let it apply more power than when it’s in normal mode
2018-8-19
Use props
Prakasam D
lvl.1
India

After 2 minutes of Flight, we have realized that the drone not listening to our RC. irrespective of the mode. It just went with the wind and our only concern is why it has not sent the GPS.  At least we could try to locate the drone by searching. But it just lost nowhere. There comes the more possibility search operation.

This could happen to anyone where nature will take control over us anytime. We cant predict the wind 100%. Its like a mystery where that drone end up.??
2018-8-19
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Prakasam D Posted at 2018-8-19 02:40
After 2 minutes of Flight, we have realized that the drone not listening to our RC. irrespective of the mode. It just went with the wind and our only concern is why it has not sent the GPS.  At least we could try to locate the drone by searching. But it just lost nowhere. There comes the more possibility search operation.

This could happen to anyone where nature will take control over us anytime. We cant predict the wind 100%. Its like a mystery where that drone end up.??

Sorry for your lost drone.
The reason you don't get GPS is that you have lost connection to the drone.
It was fighting the wind as it could but drifted up to 30 km/h backwards so not even sportmode would have done anything more than holding position.
https://app.airdata.com/share/vTiTwy

2018-8-19
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

G_Sig Posted at 2018-8-19 03:27
Sorry for your lost drone.
The reason you don't get GPS is that you have lost connection to the drone.
It was fighting the wind as it could but drifted up to 30 km/h backwards so not even sportmode would have done anything more than holding position.

Under notifications in Airdata is a flight player to replay the flight with all warnings on screen.
2018-8-19
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Prakasam D Posted at 2018-8-19 02:40
After 2 minutes of Flight, we have realized that the drone not listening to our RC. irrespective of the mode. It just went with the wind and our only concern is why it has not sent the GPS.  At least we could try to locate the drone by searching. But it just lost nowhere. There comes the more possibility search operation.

Thats why you need to engage brain when flying.  If it warns of wind, it means its windy. You need to monitor the speeds its doing in which directions and everything else.
You don't need "100% certainty".  You simply need to be aware and fly accordingly and not blindly rely on automated systems.
Those wind speed numbers are 2-3x the maximum it can cope with.  Even full power in sport mode tha drone is still going to be going backwards.
With hindsight in conditions like that, not flying at all would be the correct choice.

Its a wooded area, most likely it lost contact when trees blocked the LOS between you and it hence losing it.

Given the wind speed it could drift a substantial distance down wind before hitting critical battery and landing.  You need to search downwind but it could be a long way by the time it force landed.

Theres no way DJI will help you out here.  The log merely highlights exactly how not to conduct a drone flight.  Unfortunately you've made an expensive mistake.  
DJI will only get involved if it shows a clear hardware fault and everything here shows the drone behaving completely normally with no faults.

2018-8-19
Use props
Martinbussen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 272930 ft

Sweden

High wind...?
What is the max wind that Mavic air can handle?
2020-1-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules