Is it possible to travel with drone as hand luggage?
1218 8 2018-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JannB20
Flight distance : 373543 ft
Sweden

Hi all,

I will soon be travelling home from holidays by plane (SAS) and have my phantom 3 standard with me in the hard rucksack. Is it possible to take the drone as hand luggage (especially with the battery and other electronics)? If no, do you have any recommendations how to take it by plane?

Thank you very much,

Jann
2018-8-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You could ask SAS or look on their website.
They say nothing about prohibiting drones.  (It would be a surprise if they did).
You will keep the batteries in carry-on luggage as you do for all airlines.
2018-8-18
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have traveled with phantom in carry on backpack style case without problems just make sure the batteries are in freezer type plastic bags or equivalent, no battery in drone...  this was within the continental United States , laws in your area may be different?
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for reaching DJI forum. Kindly contact your airline for packaging purposes and the airport staff for the rules if they will allow you to bring it on a hand carry. You can also check this link for travel guides: (https://store.dji.com/guides/travel-drone-tips/)  I hope this will help.
2018-8-18
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

With the phantom the challenge will be the dimensions of the bag. Also,be aware that with some low cost carriers and the basic economy fares of the large carriers there are strict limitations on what you may carry inside the cabin.
2018-8-18
Use props
JannB20
Sweden

Thank you all very much for your answers. They really helped a lot.
:-)
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

JannB20 Posted at 2018-8-18 06:52
Thank you all very much for your answers. They really helped a lot.
:-)

You're most welcome.  Should you have any further concerns don't hesitate to reach us. We're here to help. Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2018-8-18
Use props
strongarm181
lvl.2
Flight distance : 229885 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-8-18 04:16
Thank you for reaching DJI forum. Kindly contact your airline for packaging purposes and the airport staff for the rules if they will allow you to bring it on a hand carry. You can also check this link for travel guides: (https://store.dji.com/guides/travel-drone-tips/)  I hope this will help.

Agreed. Check with TSA if applicable, your airline website or phone.
Lithium cells are limited via air shipment as there's quite a few news articles regarding the cells exploding.
Don't want you to have to remove the battery when flying out...sounds expensive.
Do let us know your outcome!
2018-8-18
Use props
JannB20
United Kingdom

Hi, I am back at home and all went well.
In SAS, the backpack fits the requirements and I got through security easily though I was stopped once because of the battery. The people there had a quick look at it and then said it was fine.
Thank you for your help!
2018-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules