DJI Warranty Policy FTC and US Consumer Protection Law
1083 10 2018-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SouthernP4P
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26050 ft

I wanted to put this information into a new thread, hopefully to help raise awareness of US consumer protection law as it relates to DJI warranties and doing our own repairs.

Basically, DJI said that I voided my warranty because I opened up  my Phantom to survey the damage after a crash to attempt a repair. However, according  to the FTC voiding a warranty based on attempted  service is deceptive practice. "warranty language that implies to a  consumer that warranty coverage is conditioned on the use of select  parts or service – is deceptive." https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2015/05/ftc-will-keep-consumer-product-warranty-rules-current-form-some

An analogy from the auto world is helpful. FTC regulations do not allow  auto makers to void warranties if a consumer performs their own repairs. For  example, BMW had to settle with the FTC who said they could not require  consumers to use only authorized repair centers, in that case BMW was  forbidden "from representing that, to ensure a vehicle's safe operation  or maintain its value, owners must have routine maintenance performed  only by MINI dealers or MINI centers" https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/ ... legally-conditioned

Furthermore, the FTC has made it clear that "Generally, the MMWA  (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) prohibits warrantors from conditioning  warranties on the consumer's use of a replacement product or repair  service identified by brand or name," https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/ ... est-word-warranties

The DJI policy of voiding warranties based on user repair is illegal and  deceptive. If the company does not reconsider, my only recourse would be  to file a formal complaint with the FTC.

After receiving my P4P back from DJI service, I have to say I'm  impressed with the repair. Drone fly's like new, and continues to be a  marvelous machine. The repair cost was also relatively reasonable,  although I maintain that the repair might have been necessitated by a hardware  or software malfunction. I do maintain that the policy of voiding  warranties when a consumer attempts repair is illegal and deceptive, I'd  like to add the positive note that I'm back flying again and that's  thanks to DJI.

While the warranty voiding practice DJI has is all too common among tech  companies, it is against US law and I'd like consumers to be more  informed of that fact. I would much prefer DJI change their policy  without my having to file an FTC complaint, but somehow I think that  unlikely. Time will tell.

My best to DJI and all the members of this community. Happy flying!

2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi SouthernP4P, we're sorry for the inconvenience. May I have your case number for better assistance? Thanks in advance!
2018-8-18
Use props
louie001
lvl.3
Philippines

@SouthernP4P I filed FTC complaint because DJI Breach their warranty by not honoring my warranty due to multiple invalid reason which is not part of their after sales policy.
7F7B6D76-199E-4114-97BB-F89A4CE22E47.jpeg
2018-8-19
Use props
SouthernP4P
lvl.1

Thank you for asking, DJI Susan. I'll PM you the case number. louie001, I agree these situations are frustrating. I'm hoping that companies like DJI (and many other tech companies with similar policies) will one day reconsider.
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

SouthernP4P Posted at 2018-8-19 11:41
Thank you for asking, DJI Susan. I'll PM you the case number. louie001, I agree these situations are frustrating. I'm hoping that companies like DJI (and many other tech companies with similar policies) will one day reconsider.

Thank you for the information you have given us today SouthernP4P. Rest assured that this kind feedback from our customers will keep us improving our process to provide more professional service and avoid any inconvenience in the future. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.
2018-8-19
Use props
SouthernP4P
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-8-19 15:16
Thank you for the information you have given us today SouthernP4P. Rest assured that this kind feedback from our customers will keep us improving our process to provide more professional service and avoid any inconvenience in the future. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at any time, we're glad to help.

I appreciate that DJI Diana. I have had good experiences with several DJI representatives. I want to be sure you and anyone who reads this knows that.

My issue is with DJI warranty policy. I continue to maintain that performing my own maintenance does not void a warranty. However, I sincerely appreciate the good people who work for DJI and who have assisted me through the repair process.
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

SouthernP4P Posted at 2018-8-19 17:12
I appreciate that DJI Diana. I have had good experiences with several DJI representatives. I want to be sure you and anyone who reads this knows that.

My issue is with DJI warranty policy. I continue to maintain that performing my own maintenance does not void a warranty. However, I sincerely appreciate the good people who work for DJI and who have assisted me through the repair process.

Received with thanks! I'll check the exact status with the team and will come back later.
2018-8-19
Use props
SouthernP4P
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-8-19 23:24
Received with thanks! I'll check the exact status with the team and will come back later.

Great, thanks!
2018-8-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

You are welcome. If you have any other concerns please feel free to contact us for us to help you further.
2018-8-20
Use props
djiuser_UXV1aXc5zgHG
New

United States

I have a common defect with my drone and I keep getting the runaround, so I will be filing a formal complaint. This company had lost all my trust and faith.
2021-12-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_UXV1aXc5zgHG Posted at 12-6 05:06
I have a common defect with my drone and I keep getting the runaround, so I will be filing a formal complaint. This company had lost all my trust and faith.

Hi, there. I'm sorry for the unpleasant experience. Could you describe your issue in more details? Please provide me your case number so I can check what happened, we will get you up and running again soon.
2021-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules