Night focusing
872 6 2018-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coco60
lvl.4
Flight distance : 632096 ft
Canada

Is it normal to have a hard time focusing at night or is there a trick to it ??  If i'm focusing on one point and moving towards it, will that mean that same point (object) will get out of focus eventually since the distance will get closer and closer ?

2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. Regarding that yes there will be an issue with focusing if the light source is not enough meaning the sensor will having a hard time to select the subject and focus it.
2018-8-18
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

At night you need to focus manually, ie. with the slider out on the right side. It is difficult when you have to fly at the same time, but exercise makes a great master.

Regards Leif.
2018-8-18
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Canada

Landbo Posted at 2018-8-18 15:32
At night you need to focus manually, ie. with the slider out on the right side. It is difficult when you have to fly at the same time, but exercise makes a great master.

Regards Leif.

Ok thanks, but could anyone answer to the second part of my question !
2018-8-19
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

coco60 Posted at 2018-8-19 10:13
Ok thanks, but could anyone answer to the second part of my question !

Ok with the second part of your question. How large area (how many meters) you will be able to say you getting focus depends on the aperture position. The more open the aperture is the shorter is the area (in meters) you can say you have focus. That's why I'm writing you need to practice to fly your quad and at the same time adjust the lens focus. When you shoot at night you will usually have the aperture fully open, thereby keeping the exposure time down.

Please read here, especially section 3:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number#Effects_on_image_sharpness

Hope you understand now.   

Regards Leif.
2018-8-19
Use props
coco60
lvl.4
Canada

Landbo Posted at 2018-8-19 10:49
Ok with the second part of your question. How large area (how many meters) you will be able to say you getting focus depends on the aperture position. The more open the aperture is the shorter is the area (in meters) you can say you have focus. That's why I'm writing you need to practice to fly your quad and at the same time adjust the lens focus. When you shoot at night you will usually have the aperture fully open, thereby keeping the exposure time down.

Please read here, especially section 3:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-number#Effects_on_image_sharpness

Thanks for the link Landbo. My question was for night videos. As you said opening up diaphram to f2.8 means minimum focus. No choice since increasing ISO creates noise !! I meant focusing at an object 300m away, tapping on the screen for focus point still does not look sharp at night !?
2018-8-19
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Denmark

coco60 Posted at 2018-8-19 11:03
Thanks for the link Landbo. My question was for night videos. As you said opening up diaphram to f2.8 means minimum focus. No choice since increasing ISO creates noise !! I meant focusing at an object 300m away, tapping on the screen for focus point still does not look sharp at night !?

If you focus sharply at a point 300 meters away, the image will probably still be sharp from 50 to 2000 meters with a P4P camera. But tap the square with the text AFC / MF so you'll get a right-hand slider to MF (manual focus) and play it in daylight so you can see how it works.

Regards Leif.
2018-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules