Unable to take off around my house (No Fly Zone)
2687 15 2018-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_i6X6FfoodO9V
lvl.1

United States

So I've had my Spark for a few months now. I bought it for one purpose only: To be able to inspect the roof of my three-story house, so that I wouldn't have to risk climbing on the roof myself. I successfully flew it up there a couple months back and in fact detected an issue with the masonry around my chimney. This already made the expense of the drone worth it in my eyes. So in subsequent weeks, I decided I wanted to take another closer look. But somehow, every time I've tried it since then (several weekends in a row), the Spark won't take off due to my house apparently being in a restricted zone. I tried to download the appropriate unlock certificate (self-unlock) to no avail. Every time the Spark is prevented from taking flight with the message "No-Fly Zones ... bla bla bla.... Temporary flight restriction for VIP Movement Area A".
Now, my house is maybe a bit less than five miles from Newark Airport (NJ), but all I want to do is inspect my roof. I don't want to take it beyond the boundaries of my own property (which is in a suburban residential area), nor do I want to fly it higher than my chimney. There has to be a way that I am allowed to take it up there, so as to prevent getting myself into danger by climbing onto the roof myself.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for listening to my semi-rant
2018-8-18
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

It's probably for the POTUS while he stays at his golf country club. Nothing like being pres and profiting off of the American taxpayer while you're at it. Here's the TFR that maybe causing the no fly - http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_8_8980.html
2018-8-18
Use props
djiuser_i6X6FfoodO9V
lvl.1

United States

Pappy3 Posted at 2018-8-18 16:21
It's probably for the POTUS while he stays at his golf country club. Nothing like being pres and profiting off of the American taxpayer while you're at it. Here's the TFR that maybe causing the no fly - http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_8_8980.html

Thanks for this -- that may indeed be the reason. But I've tried so many times over the past month and a half, is he really there pretty much every weekend?

The one time it did work for me, I didn't have my controller yet and used my phone as a controller. That worked. So I'm not sure if the addition of the controller suddenly imposes restrictions that I didn't have before, or if since then a new firmware is more restrictive than before.
2018-8-18
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>

"So I'm not sure if the addition of the controller suddenly imposes restrictions that I didn't have before,"

That indeed could be!
Without controller, you are anyway and in your own nfz, so to speak.
Why not nust trying?
And for next time, update your nfz when the temporary nfz is gone and dont update it before you checked if there is again one.

There was lately a post, showing the vip movement nfzs are sometimes for 2 weeks.
2018-8-18
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

djiuser_i6X6FfoodO9V Posted at 2018-8-18 18:06
Thanks for this -- that may indeed be the reason. But I've tried so many times over the past month and a half, is he really there pretty much every weekend?

The one time it did work for me, I didn't have my controller yet and used my phone as a controller. That worked. So I'm not sure if the addition of the controller suddenly imposes restrictions that I didn't have before, or if since then a new firmware is more restrictive than before.

When I searched for "POTUS bedminster tally" a dedicated web site came up showing all of his times away from the White House. Looks like he's been at Bedminster every weekend since the first week in July except for the week or so he was in the UK.

https://trumpgolfcount.com/displayoutings
2018-8-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had. I suggest visiting our website for a better understanding of unlocking Geozones. We're here to help you. Thank you.

Fly Safe
2018-8-19
Use props
djiuser_i6X6FfoodO9V
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-19 03:27
Hi, thank you for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had. I suggest visiting our website for a better understanding of unlocking Geozones. We're here to help you. Thank you.

Fly Safe

As I mentioned in my first post, I tried to unlock the zones (through that exact page you are referencing). That didn't help at all. To be honest, the process of unlocking and uploading those unlocking certificates is also anything but end user friendly, but that's a topic for another post. Kindly read my original post again and advise me if there is a way to override such a restriction for a flight that won't take the drone more than 50 feet away from the controller. There must be a way to do this. Thank you.
2018-8-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_i6X6FfoodO9V Posted at 2018-8-19 04:08
As I mentioned in my first post, I tried to unlock the zones (through that exact page you are referencing). That didn't help at all. To be honest, the process of unlocking and uploading those unlocking certificates is also anything but end user friendly, but that's a topic for another post. Kindly read my original post again and advise me if there is a way to override such a restriction for a flight that won't take the drone more than 50 feet away from the controller. There must be a way to do this. Thank you.

Hi, have you tried to update your aircraft to the latest firmware?

2018-8-19
Use props
ssylca44
First Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft

Contact flysafe@dji.com they might be able to open the nfz around your home by a radius of 100 meters or so. Worth the try, it worked for me.
2018-8-19
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

Although it is extremely unfortunate that you are not able to fly your drone around your house.
But I do find that you made a poor decision to buy the drone for only one purpose to inspect your house.
The Spark has so many better uses that many other people could use.
2018-8-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

djiuser_i6X6FfoodO9V Posted at 2018-8-19 04:08

It sounds like you don't quite understand what is happening.  The trouble you are having is due to a TFR.  There is no UAS/model flying permitted.  DJI's geo map is simply helping you from violating the TFR.  If you somehow find a way to override the lock, it's still an illegal flight.  In order to get your AC unlocked, you'd have to get FAA approval to fly in the TFR, and then forward same to DJI.  I don't think that's possible.  I suggest doing your roof inspection on a weekday.  Good luck.
2018-8-20
Use props
djiuser_i6X6FfoodO9V
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-8-19 04:27
Hi, have you tried to update your aircraft to the latest firmware?

[view_image]

Yes, I always let the aircraft & other components update to the latest firmware when prompted, which happened often during the past two months. Thanks!
2018-8-20
Use props
djiuser_i6X6FfoodO9V
lvl.1

United States

ssylca44 Posted at 2018-8-19 04:44
Contact  they might be able to open the nfz around your home by a radius of 100 meters or so. Worth the try, it worked for me.

Thank you -- I just wrote them an email -- this is a very helpful suggestion, I appreciate it!
2018-8-20
Use props
jwf007
lvl.2

Sucks good luck and let us know what happens.
2018-8-20
Use props
djiuser_i6X6FfoodO9V
lvl.1

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-8-20 02:37
It sounds like you don't quite understand what is happening.  The trouble you are having is due to a TFR.  There is no UAS/model flying permitted.  DJI's geo map is simply helping you from violating the TFR.  If you somehow find a way to override the lock, it's still an illegal flight.  In order to get your AC unlocked, you'd have to get FAA approval to fly in the TFR, and then forward same to DJI.  I don't think that's possible.  I suggest doing your roof inspection on a week day.  Good luck.

I appreciate your concern. I maintain that the responsibility to adhere to any laws should lie with me. I don't object to my flight information being recorded and submitted to the authorities after the fact, should DJI choose to do so (which is also something I have to agree to when downloading the unlock certificates to begin with). But I find it unreasonable for the manufacturer to impose a restriction that will not even allow me to fly the aircraft a few meters away from me so I can use it to help me stay safe without having to climb on my roof. You may disagree and respond that the laws are the laws, but I think DJI is taking it too far. As far as I understand, they are also not required to impose such restrictions -- they are doing it voluntarily at the moment.
2018-8-20
Use props
djiuser_i6X6FfoodO9V
lvl.1

United States

drewhoover Posted at 2018-8-19 17:54
Although it is extremely unfortunate that you are not able to fly your drone around your house.
But I do find that you made a poor decision to buy the drone for only one purpose to inspect your house.
The Spark has so many better uses that many other people could use.

I agree with you. I always wanted to have a drone but near NYC there aren't many areas where it's allowed, so the expense wasn't worth it to me until I had a need to take a look at my roof and then I realized that there are actually quite affordable drones out there. That was the 'spark' that got it started (pun intended)
2018-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules