Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro - Bloated Battery. Is it safe?
21024 30 2018-8-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mavic~Spark~yeL

Philippines

Hi Everyone,

I got my Mavic pro. Second hand. All things are good and great.

Just noticed that 1 battery have some bulging/bloated part. I attached the picture. For what i read about this is due to overcharge. Though it is intelligent,possibly not intelligent enough just kidding.

Just want to ask experts if it is still safe to fly with it?
The battery levels are okay from just a mere 0.1 difference of 1 out of 3.

Thanks for the response.
a.jpg
s.jpg
2018-8-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Nope.   There was a recent post of a swollen battery that likely pushed itself loose, despite battery latches, disconnecting from drone, and drone crashing.

Pics of swollen battery
Better picture of battery's swelling

2018-8-18
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

You should dispose of the swollen battery and not fly with it again
2018-8-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Agreed don't risk your bird flying on a bad battery.
2018-8-18
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't fly distorted battery, it was possibly overheated by the previous owner.  Remember to always store batteries in cool dry place.
2018-8-18
Use props
Mavic~Spark~yeL

Philippines

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-8-18 21:33
Don't fly distorted battery, it was possibly overheated by the previous owner.  Remember to always store batteries in cool dry place.

ok thanks for your opinion. so it is not safe anymore though the battery level is still okay.. |?
2018-8-18
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavic~Spark~yeL Posted at 2018-8-18 22:03
ok thanks for your opinion. so it is not safe anymore though the battery level is still okay.. |?

I would not fly with that battery, it is not safe loosing or damaging your drone.
2018-8-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Mavic~Spark~yeL Posted at 2018-8-18 22:03

so it is not safe anymore though the battery level is still okay.. |?

Correct.   Forget about the battery voltage level still appearing okay.
It is not safe to fly with swollen battery anymore.

You need to safely dispose of swollen battery.  There is possibility swollen battery could short out internally, and catch on fire.

Are Swollen Lipo Batteries Dangerous?   Yes. Next question.

2018-8-18
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

No. Dispose of it ASAP if it's swollen.
2018-8-19
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-8-18 21:33

They seem to swell spontaneously during normal flight and often in the space of a single flight.
It may not be previous owner abuse.
2 of my 3 swelled at 40 ish flights each within days of each other.  The 3rd one now another 40 flights down the line is still fine.
2018-8-19
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

ya not worth having/keeping the swollen ones around. Dispose of properly please. The stuff in them could drip on someone underneath the drone while it is flying on onto something flammable. The list goes on.
2018-8-19
Use props
Mullheliflier
Captain
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have just replaced two of mine that have swollen. Not worth the risk.
2018-8-19
Use props
Tealk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

that battery can explode on any time
2018-8-19
Use props
EastyT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

I received my fly more combo a year ago in March. Of the 3 18 month old batteries that I originally got, all three of them have swollen. Funny thing is all three of them swelled up within a week of each other. Two additional batteries are working fine. I took very good care of them. Cooled them immediately after use, never used or charged while warm and had them self discharge while not in use. The last one has swollen so much after use that it was difficult to release from the clips in the Mavic. I guess I'll be getting 1 or 2 more.
2018-8-19
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

A $100 battery is not worth a $1000 drone.  Get rid of it...
2018-8-19
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

PROPER METHOD FOR DISPOSAL

Do NOT just throw it away!!!  It has a chemical reaction going on inside......that needs to stop.

Place the battery in a gallon of SALT WATER....... 1-2 cups salt to a gallon and leave it for at least a week.

Then you can throw away as the battery is now INERT......it has been slowly shorted out and there is no reaction left.......

Randy
2018-8-21
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Hmm yes. Disposing of Lithium batteries in a bucket of salt water.  That's exactly what people are meant to do...If you live in some weird parallel universe where everything is reversed.
2018-8-21
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

the battery is not safe to fly with. Really ..do not do it. the battery on the left is obvioulsy bloated but check the other two also - the middle one also appears a bit bloated (could be the light in the image) and the battery on the right  (could again be the light reflective ilusion) but it appears also a little bumpy (which must not be the case).
I suggest you rub the back of the battery across your lips - by this technique you should be able to feel immediately if the back of the battery (side showing in the images) is absolutely smooth or not.
If they are not absolutely smooth then i seriously suggest that you do not use them.
Dispose of faulty batteries responsibly and until they are disposed of i recomened that you keep those damaged batteries outside of your house.
2018-8-21
Use props
MrArcher
Second Officer
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-21 10:45
Hmm yes. Disposing of Lithium batteries in a bucket of salt water.  That's exactly what people are meant to do...If you live in some weird parallel universe where everything is reversed.

I don't get the snarky reply, but some folks don't immediately take single items one at a time to the dump, right?  Nothing worse that putting combustible items in the trash can in the garage or near the house, and having a major life threatening catastrophe as a result.  There is a video right above that shows how dangerous these things can be when they malfunction, so why in God's name would you ridicule Rwynant for sharing a pretty good tip to render these things safe?  Not cool.
2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. However, we don't recommend to use your Mavic Pro with bloated battery because this can damage your Aircraft. Please dispose your battery safely. Should you have further question, please let us know. We are here to help. Thanks.
2018-8-21
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrArcher Posted at 2018-8-21 13:36
I don't get the snarky reply, but some folks don't immediately take single items one at a time to the dump, right?  Nothing worse that putting combustible items in the trash can in the garage or near the house, and having a major life threatening catastrophe as a result.  There is a video right above that shows how dangerous these things can be when they malfunction, so why in God's name would you ridicule Rwynant for sharing a pretty good tip to render these things safe?  Not cool.

pretty good tip to render these things safe

Thank you MrArcher,  I do appreciate the backup.

ThunderPowerRC is a little Lipo battery company......some may have heard of them.

http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/co ... ecb0782&whence=

Battery Life
Batteries that lose 20% of their capacity must be removed from service and disposed of properly.
Discharge the battery to 3V/Cell. Ensure wire leads are insulated, and soak battery in a mixture of 60 parts water to 1 part salt, by weight, for 2-3 days. Then
wrap battery in a bag for disposal.

There are also other methods......lightbulbs, resistors,  but if you don't have these, or the hardware to make them......the saltwater method works.

Please be responsible in whatever method you choose when disposing of Lithium Batteries!!

Randy
2018-8-21
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

DO NOT FLY WITH IT OR KEEP IT IN THE HOUSE, CAR OR BAG... GO BURY IT IN THE YARD TEMPORARILY. THEY ARE DANGEROUS!
If you have a fireproof lipo battery carrier... use it now.
2018-8-22
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-8-22 02:40
DO NOT FLY WITH IT OR KEEP IT IN THE HOUSE, CAR OR BAG... GO BURY IT IN THE YARD TEMPORARILY. THEY ARE DANGEROUS!
If you have a fireproof lipo battery carrier... use it now.

Thats a fairly epic overreaction.
2018-8-22
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-22 02:49
Thats a fairly epic overreaction.

it is? have you seen one of these explode? Unless you are there and can put out the fire with an extinguisher your home, car or business will burn to the ground. Over reaction... lol.  your a funny guy?  Also.. DJI batteries with self discharge after 10 days... so let's say he leaves the swollen battery in a bag in his home... the swollen battery decides to discharge... there is a good chance it could burst into flames... over reaction? haha, I have dealt with swollen and exploding batteries. you?
Good video on caring for lipos... do the 10 / 10 break in process... I did and my batteries are awesome after a year of heavy use.

2018-8-22
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Yes ive seen several and you're just posting unscientific hysteria.  Oddly enough puffed up LiPos are a fact of modern life and oddly enough people aren't having houses burn down in every single street.
Its sat there and puffed up.  It might be oxygen, it might be air, it might just be plastic delaminated.  It's not doing anything.  Its not going to spontaneously combust.

Lets say he leaves it in a bag in his home.  The battery decides to discharges.  Good chance it'll just discharge exactly as intended.

Yes, you give a nonsensical hysterical overreaction to a problem.  We're not dealing with a critical mass of plutonium on TATP here.  It's not going to go bang just looking at it.  Telling someone in all capitals to bury something in their yard or they're going to die is utterly utterly laughable.

Oddly enough i recharged and flew my 2 puffed up batteries yesterday (because they'd self discharged).  So far 43 cycles since the original puffing.
I didn't die.  There isn't a mushroom cloud over my home.  I've just charged them again, i still didn't die.

Yes puffing means you should stop using the battery but the rest of the paranoid hysteria should be ignored by sane people.

2018-8-22
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-22 03:30
Yes ive seen several and you're just posting unscientific hysteria.  Oddly enough puffed up LiPos are a fact of modern life and oddly enough people aren't having houses burn down in every single street.
Its sat there and puffed up.  It might be oxygen, it might be air, it might just be plastic delaminated.  It's not doing anything.  Its not going to spontaneously combust.

Sorry dude... you are making lite of a fire hazard... you have swollen batteries in your home or car right now? yer nuts if you do.My point is treat every risky scenario as if it was a real danger and you wont go wrong.. I may be "over-reacting" to you but to the guy that just put out that fire due to a lipo explosion doesnt think so. Also perhaps he didnt share it with the local media or let you know about it. It is more common than you think.

Anyways.. BURY IT and maybe drive a nail through it while it is burried or soak it in salt water for a few days. problem solved.
Why keep a swollen battery around anyways? silly argument.

2018-8-22
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-8-22 03:35
Sorry dude... you are making lite of a fire hazard... you have swollen batteries in your home or car right now? yer nuts if you do.

You might want to actually back up your utter paranoid with proper, professional scientific data.

Not to mention all those fire services world wide yelling at people to go bury batteries in their gardens or they'll die (oh...None are.  Strange that).

I suspect im significantly less nuts than you (with significantly lower blood pressure).
2018-8-22
Use props
fanse692c102
lvl.1

United States

gnirtS Posted at 8-22 03:39
You might want to actually back up your utter paranoid with proper, professional scientific data.

Not to mention all those fire services world wide yelling at people to go bury batteries in their gardens or they'll die (oh...None are.  Strange that).

It's funny how things go sometimes.  I was just gonna start a new thread talking about how dangerous Lipo batteries can be, but then I decided to see if there were any posts talking about it.  GnirtS, you can believe anything you want to, but I think it's pretty un-ethical to try and downplay a real danger issue like this.  As if you didn't just see the video of the guy with smoke in the room from the Lipo fire.  All I can say is I'm glad this thread is carrying a strong enough message to still warn people of the possible hazard here.  What I was going to throw in, is that I've read a number of posts from some hobby stores that talk about how bad the Lipo fires can be.  They're not like your regular fires, that you can put right out.  They're very difficult to put out and that's why, at least for the smaller drone batteries that I use on some of my other drones,  they recommended that I store them in a metal container.  I went and bought an old army ammo box that I use.  One of the guys on one of those forums talked abut a friend of his who burned his house down with a bad lip battery.   I'm honestly not sure whether the Mavic Pro bats are as touchy as those smaller lipos or not, but why take a chance.  Marc Trainor.
2018-11-8
Use props
Bryan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1083074 ft
Singapore

Bloated batteries are a design/production  issue but DJI seems content on blaming the customer for “poor handling” or let the customers blame each other as is the case on this and other threads. I’ve has several bloated batteries on my mavic pro and I’m not a heavy user.   Interestingly, my MacBook Pro which is 5 years old and which Lipo has much more energy, is heavily used, and gets handled more roughly than my mavic has had only one bloated battery in that period. If Apple had the same issues with their batteries and blamed the customer, it would be a front page news scandal.  I think customers should stop blaming each other and focus on DJI to fix the root cause.
2019-6-15
Use props
djiuser_E6XvBGk1bnxn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 630299 ft
  • >>>
United States

Swollen Battery

I have a Mavic Pro 2, purchased It a week after it was released, still wishing the one-year warranty. I have now two swollen battery, sent one assuming it was going to be covered and replaced and they did not covered it. Disappointed with their service.

DJI in the past, did covered and replaced one of the swollen battery I had for my Mavic Pro.
2019-6-23
Use props
fritzphoto
lvl.1
Malta

seems to be a very common problem with the mavic batteries. had already 2 swollen batteries. Normal use, not in extrem conditions. one was replaced by dji but the 2nd one not because it was just 4 weeks out of warranty. Their workflow really sucks, I made photos and a video as they required and send it together with the invoice via email. Then they required a printed form with the original label and the copy of the invoice again via post so I sent it and then they tell me it's out of warranty and just send me an invoice for a new battery. I ask myself what they do, they could have seen the date of the purchase in the first communication and not let me print and ship everything.
2019-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules