Talkin' Rocky Mountain Little Bird Walkin' Blues!
1621 24 2018-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Loki's Eyes
lvl.4
United States

Hey Y'all,

Here's a compilation of my favorite Rocky Mountain movies, set to the blues.  The first movement sets the scene; the second movement showcases the flying; and the third movement rolls the credits.  Things I was going for in this video, besides highlighting the incredible Rocky Mountain scenery, were really synchronizing the music with the film and keeping the cuts short to keep the viewer's attention.  I would love your specific feedback on what would improve my work, as well as what you like about it as it is =)

It's the first film I've made using (a trial version of) Final Cut, and I have a lot to learn about that program.  So I'm curious - how many of you find Final Cut indespensible for your work, and why?  Can you direct me to your favorite Final Cut instructional videos?  Is there a free program that rivals it?  

All music credits to the incredible artists:  Taj Mahal, The White Stripes, and Leon Bridges.  May my short film lift up and promote their works!

Many thanks for watching, and happy flying!

2018-8-20
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Beautiful video (like the music too). My wife and I are headed to the Rocky Mountains tomorrow for 9 days. Just going through my equipment checklist as I type.
2018-8-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Beautiful work
2018-8-20
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Excellent video thank you very much! The accelerated moves are not really my taste, I would have used cuts instead, but that might be just me. Great piece of work for sure, you must have spent many hours on it!
2018-8-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Beautiful place.
Was all the footage made by yourself?
2018-8-20
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Very nice,
The scenery was beautiful and you did a superb job capturing it.
Great shots of the animals. Always nice to see them in a video.
2018-8-20
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flawless Victory...  

2018-8-20
Use props
Loki's Eyes
lvl.4
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-20 08:56
Excellent video thank you very much! The accelerated moves are not really my taste, I would have used cuts instead, but that might be just me. Great piece of work for sure, you must have spent many hours on it!

Wachtberger, yes - luckily my girlfriend puts up with the many hours I spend in front of the computer compiling film!  Flying and recording is very fun, so fun that I record far too much footage to know what to do with...
2018-8-20
Use props
Loki's Eyes
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-20 10:21
Beautiful place.
Was all the footage made by yourself?

Montfrooij, yes, all the flying, video, and editing is my work.  A lot of the hiking was by myself, and some of the more dangerous climbing I did with a partner.  And yes, if my footage looks good, most of the credit is to the amazing beauty of the Colorado Rockies!
2018-8-20
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Loki's Eyes Posted at 2018-8-20 12:24
Wachtberger, yes - luckily my girlfriend puts up with the many hours I spend in front of the computer compiling film!  Flying and recording is very fun, so fun that I record far too much footage to know what to do with...

Oh yes, I very well know the problem ;-) I am still sitting on unprocessed footage from last and this year... Will it ever make it to go public? We shall see ;-)
2018-8-20
Use props
Loki's Eyes
lvl.4
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-8-20 10:36
Very nice,
The scenery was beautiful and you did a superb job capturing it.
Great shots of the animals. Always nice to see them in a video.

Thanks- I try to do as much wildlife photography as wildlife will allow.  That bear actually flexed at me shortly after my shot cuts away- he didn't appreciate me filming him, even with a telephoto!  I was grateful for pretty incredible weather and scenery the whole trip... The mountains are inspiring.
2018-8-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Loki's Eyes Posted at 2018-8-20 12:26
Montfrooij, yes, all the flying, video, and editing is my work.  A lot of the hiking was by myself, and some of the more dangerous climbing I did with a partner.  And yes, if my footage looks good, most of the credit is to the amazing beauty of the Colorado Rockies!

Very cool!
You have an eye for this!
2018-8-20
Use props
GurryAzzy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5835643 ft
South Korea

Wow!
Nice video and great music.
The mid-term changes are good.
2018-8-21
Use props
Loki's Eyes
lvl.4
United States

GurryAzzy Posted at 2018-8-21 02:38
Wow!
Nice video and great music.
The mid-term changes are good.

Hey, glad you like my work!  Thanks.  Just curious - what do you mean by the "mid-term changes?"  Is that where I accelerated certain parts of clips with the music?  That was hard to do, but an effect I've really liked from other people's videos.  I appreciate the feedback!
2018-8-21
Use props
GurryAzzy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5835643 ft
South Korea

Loki's Eyes Posted at 2018-8-21 05:02
Hey, glad you like my work!  Thanks.  Just curious - what do you mean by the "mid-term changes?"  Is that where I accelerated certain parts of clips with the music?  That was hard to do, but an effect I've really liked from other people's videos.  I appreciate the feedback!

Yes, that's right.
The dynamic part of the screen is impressive and wonderful as it speeds up.
Of course, I think slow video in the first half has a great effect on the back part.

2018-8-21
Use props
Loki's Eyes
lvl.4
United States

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-8-20 05:15
Beautiful video (like the music too). My wife and I are headed to the Rocky Mountains tomorrow for 9 days. Just going through my equipment checklist as I type.

Thanks!  Where in the Rockies are you headed?  Hope you have your drone packed for your own high altitude adventures!
2018-8-22
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Cool music, very nice video.
2018-8-22
Use props
Loki's Eyes
lvl.4
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-22 07:49
Cool music, very nice video.

Thanks!  Glad you like the music; originally I had a Led Zeppelin song ("Bron yr Aur") for the intro, but just FYI, anything with Led Zeppelin will be instantly blocked on YouTube.  The Taj Mahal song I decided to use us actually 8 minutes long, so I had to cut it short...
2018-8-22
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Loki's Eyes Posted at 2018-8-22 07:31
Thanks!  Where in the Rockies are you headed?  Hope you have your drone packed for your own high altitude adventures!

Just got here yesterday. We have a home base in a cabin in the mountains up by Long's Peak but we travel about 200-300 miles a day shooting video. Headed to Mt. Evans later in the week and up north around Red Feather Lakes in a day or two. Any secret spots that you like to fly from that you could throw our way?
2018-8-23
Use props
Atlas_Aus
lvl.4

Thailand

Howdy,

Thanks for sharing.

Firstly I am no expert.

I am in awe of your flying skills, the scenery, just amazing. Drones have opened up a whole new world for us to explore that is for sure.

As usual I am a little confused as to what was used.. Did you use a drone for all the footage ? The time lapse of the night sky was great...

So many things to learn, so little time !!

PS. I am not sure the music suited such a serene setting, again just my opinion
2018-8-23
Use props
Loki's Eyes
lvl.4
United States

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-8-23 06:05
Just got here yesterday. We have a home base in a cabin in the mountains up by Long's Peak but we travel about 200-300 miles a day shooting video. Headed to Mt. Evans later in the week and up north around Red Feather Lakes in a day or two. Any secret spots that you like to fly from that you could throw our way?

I love Long's Peak and would really love to film some climbers going up the Diamond someday... I don't really know any secret areas but I would highly recommend the Leadville area and Collegiate Peaks in general.  Superb alpine wilderness areas.  Enjoy those Rocky Mountain highs while you can!
2018-8-23
Use props
Loki's Eyes
lvl.4
United States

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-23 07:19
Howdy,

Thanks for sharing.

Your welcome and I appreciate the compliments!  I suppose one never gets "too good at flying" and I still have a lot of improvement to make.  Luckily I had time to shot A LOT of footage so I had a good selection to choose from =)

It is not all drone footage.  I used a Lumix mirrorless camera for the wildlife video and the time lapses.  I have done primarily still photography and am just learning to create movies.

I appreciate your honesty about the music.  I love so many kinds of music, and for me it is the hardest part to pick music for the video.  If only the drone could be silent and carry a microphone, it would be so much easier...
2018-8-24
Use props
Atlas_Aus
lvl.4

Thailand

Loki's Eyes Posted at 2018-8-24 12:49
Your welcome and I appreciate the compliments!  I suppose one never gets "too good at flying" and I still have a lot of improvement to make.  Luckily I had time to shot A LOT of footage so I had a good selection to choose from =)

It is not all drone footage.  I used a Lumix mirrorless camera for the wildlife video and the time lapses.  I have done primarily still photography and am just learning to create movies.

Hey mate,

Yes I am like you, coming from a photography background on the 'ground' and not only learning to fly but making videos !

What are you using to make the videos... I have looked at a few, some are too expensive, some look complicated.... Not looking to win an academy award, just simple would be awesome
2018-8-24
Use props
Loki's Eyes
lvl.4
United States

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-24 22:45
Hey mate,

Yes I am like you, coming from a photography background on the 'ground' and not only learning to fly but making videos !

For this video, I used a trial version of Final Cut Pro, Apple's $300 professional editing software.  I liked it, but I'm not sure for my purposes it will be worth the upgrade from iMovie, which is what I've used on my other videos.

I am hoping for recommendations for free or low cost software that is more powerful than iMovie, but haven't come across anything yet.
2018-8-25
Use props
Atlas_Aus
lvl.4

Thailand

Loki's Eyes Posted at 2018-8-25 07:03
For this video, I used a trial version of Final Cut Pro, Apple's $300 professional editing software.  I liked it, but I'm not sure for my purposes it will be worth the upgrade from iMovie, which is what I've used on my other videos.

I am hoping for recommendations for free or low cost software that is more powerful than iMovie, but haven't come across anything yet.

Mate,

Give Davinci Resolve a go, it's free to individuals and VERY powerful... Way too much for me just starting out after a break of some 12 years... I used to use  Pinnacle studio around version 2 I think... Just bought 22 and was able to knock out a movie pretty quick.... I was getting nowhere fast with Davinci, but it is me, not the program.... I may end up using it once I get my head around editing in general again as I see it has very high tech features which I would love to use if I ever learn it
2018-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules