distance out for panorama photos
564 7 2018-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike Tshikwara
lvl.2
Flight distance : 805148 ft

Ive noticed some interesting behaviour for panorama photos.
When I fly to 120m altitude (maxed out) and out to 250m distance, it wont take any panorama shots, and gives a warning that it cannot enter panorama mode. I have found that if you are at 218m distance, it works fine. Fly just 1m more to 219m and you get the same error message. Ive done this now a number of times and every time get exactlly the same result. I thought it might be about battery charge and having enough charge to return home once the photo was completed. This seemed not to be the case as  the 218m limit stayed the same with 10min flight time remaining or even down to 6 min flight time remaining. The 218m limit was the same also regardless of wind conditions. I converted 218m to ft or yards, but came back with 715ft or 238 yards, so it didnt seem like it was a deliberate arbitary number (like 200m or 750ft etc).
I was wanting to fly it further out to get panoramic shots of island sunrises etc.
I am using the remote controller paired to an iphone 5 with all the latest IOS updates, and firmware updates on remote controller and spark.
any thoughts?

2018-8-20
Use props
Greg F
Second Officer
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

That's strange.   I  Haven't seen that issue before.   The camera only has distance issues in Quickshots with Active Tracking trying to locate a subject.   ie, if you are too far away it loses you.  As for Pan pictures you are not fixing the camera on  a particular object it just takes the set Panorama  set of pictures that are stitched (Joined) to make the final image.   Are you in the right area where you can select either Sphere, Vertical or Horizontal?    You also need to stop Video Recording to access the Camera...

Cam view

Cam view
2018-8-21
Use props
Mike Tshikwara
lvl.2

Hi Greg
I have it in photo mode for the panorama shots.
I have just done the trigonometry for 120 high and 218 out, and it gives a hypotenuse (actual distance of aircraft away from controller) of 248.9 (i.e just short of 250m). it would be interesting to fly it at a lower altitude and see if the distance changes as you would expect. If so, what is significant about the 250m distance for panorama shots.
2018-8-21
Use props
Mike Tshikwara
lvl.2

heres a screenshot of the flight record
2018-8-21
Use props
Mike Tshikwara
lvl.2
Australia

I think I have answered my own question about the distances. I have my max altitude in the DJI Go4 ap set to 120m, and the max distance at 250m. What I find strange is that I can fly out for 250, and up 120 (point A in the diagram) , but only be 250 away for panorama (point B). See diagram. I will try and see what happens for point C,D and E, and if this confirms my theory.
2018-8-21
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

where you in sports mode?
2018-8-21
Use props
Mike Tshikwara
lvl.2

no, just normal mode. I have flown it since with limits set to lesser distances, and get the same issue. Seems to be a maths limitation in whatever programming was used.
2018-9-27
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

Mike Tshikwara Posted at 2018-9-27 15:52
no, just normal mode. I have flown it since with limits set to lesser distances, and get the same issue. Seems to be a maths limitation in whatever programming was used.

Do you plan on increasing the limits?
2018-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules