Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Antenna Signal Range Boosters
9174 21 2018-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carlpfranger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 765151 ft
United States

I see a lot of people have reviewed or talked about these in the past, but I was not sure if anyone has used more measurable tools to do comparisons? Since the spark uses Wifi we could use a WiFi signal scan tool from a PC to measure the impact to the RSSI in dBm. Has someone done such measurements ? I am also interested to know what the loss in signal would be in other directions. If they do work as advertised, there would have to be a noticable cut in other directions.

** photo just for example. I am not advocating a brand or model at this point.

2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Just a friendly reminder, we don't suggest using any third-party accessories for the safety of the flight, and it might affect your drone's warranty according to our aftersales policy. If the signal is weak, please try to fly in a place with less interference, and adjust the position of the antennas when RC signal is weak. Please make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to each other and avoid flying the aircraft directly above the tip of the antennas. You can refer to the video tutorial below. Thanks for understanding.

2018-8-21
Use props
Chuck101
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27815 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-8-21 04:21
Just a friendly reminder, we don't suggest using any third-party accessories for the safety of flight, and if might affect your drone's warranty according to our aftersales policy. If the signal is weak, please try to fly in a place with less interference, and adjust the position of the antennas when RC signal weak, please make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft, you can refer to the video tutorial below. Thanks for understanding.

Should be PERPENDICULAR to not PARALLEL to the aircraft. Video does show it correctly.
2018-8-21
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.4

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-8-21 04:21
Just a friendly reminder, we don't suggest using any third-party accessories for the safety of flight, and if might affect your drone's warranty according to our aftersales policy. If the signal is weak, please try to fly in a place with less interference, and adjust the position of the antennas when RC signal weak, please make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft, you can refer to the video tutorial below. Thanks for understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

Thanks so much for your reply Paladin!  That is a great video, and at the moment I am not having any problems with reception.  

My post was more a theoretical conversation about how this apparatus  works if it does at all.  I mean they are call boosters, but if they do work, at best the should be call shifters or concentrationer (if thats a real word) as they do not amplify.  If they work, most people over look that they would HAVE to cut signal drastically in many other directions
2018-8-21
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Hmm does it really work
2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Chuck101 Posted at 2018-8-21 04:34
Should be PERPENDICULAR to not PARALLEL to the aircraft. Video does show it correctly.

Sorry for the confusion, I am referring to the position of the antennas which should be parallel to each other. For you to get the strongest signal make sure that the antennas tip is not directed towards the aircraft but is perpendicular to  it instead.

antennas.gif
2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

carlpfranger Posted at 2018-8-21 04:43
Thanks so much for your reply Paladin!  That is a great video, and at the moment I am not having any problems with reception.  

My post was more a theoretical conversation about how this apparatus  works if it does at all.  I mean they are call boosters, but if they do work, at best the should be call shifters or concentrationer (if thats a real word) as they do not amplify.  If they work, most people over look that they would HAVE to cut signal drastically in many other directions

You're welcome. I wouldn't want to misinform you of the specifics of the product, hopefully our co-pilots here can give you the best recommendation possible. Thanks.
2018-8-21
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.4

jacksonnai Posted at 2018-8-21 05:05
Hmm does it really work

Well I am sure we can find out.  The video about antenna position shared 100% does.  I have tested antenna position and it makes as much as a  4 dBm difference.  Keeping in mind dBm is NOT linear thats huge.
2018-8-21
Use props
Alex Batalov
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I’m using these plastic parabolic range extenders and they do work!!!
2018-8-21
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.4

Alex Batalov Posted at 2018-8-21 12:51
I’m using these plastic parabolic range extenders and they do work!!!

What type of gains do you see to the signal ?
2018-8-21
Use props
dudez7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 741778 ft
Singapore

There is a actual measurement done at the end of the video:

2018-8-21
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

carlpfranger Posted at 2018-8-21 09:31
Well I am sure we can find out.  The video about antenna position shared 100% does.  I have tested antenna position and it makes as much as a  4 dBm difference.  Keeping in mind dBm is NOT linear thats huge.

Alright will search some video about it on yt
2018-8-21
Use props
Carmenvail
First Officer
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

I have them and don't like them...Every time I have used them it seemed to be no better then without them.
2018-8-21
Use props
Greg F
Captain
Flight distance : 944308 ft
Australia

I don't think I would need them when u risk losing your drone flying it so far away..  
2018-8-21
Use props
Alex Batalov
Captain

Spain

In my case, I get much more stable better quality signal and the range increase is about 15-20%.

Safe Flying.
Alex.
2018-8-22
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.4
United States

Carmenvail Posted at 2018-8-21 19:27
I have them and don't like them...Every time I have used them it seemed to be no better then without them.

They are interesting, but very directional, so in theory for them to work you would have to constantly make sure you are pointing at the Spark
2018-8-22
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.4

dudez7 Posted at 2018-8-21 18:40
There is a actual measurement done at the end of the video:

https://youtu.be/lZ1LBF_9VpQ

Nice.  So, it looks like there is a 7 dBm change with the this device mounted. Thats a very large boost! (Test was done 2.4 ghz)

In the video the drone was set to channel 8, so it was on the 2.4 band.  I wonder if the shape of the parabolic extender needs to be matched to the 2.4 or 5.8 band.  

Has anyone done some type of test on the 5.8 band?
2018-8-22
Use props
dudez7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 741778 ft
Singapore

carlpfranger Posted at 2018-8-22 07:43
Nice.  So, it looks like there is a 7 dBm change with the this device mounted. Thats a very large boost! (Test was done 2.4 ghz)

In the video the drone was set to channel 8, so it was on the 2.4 band.  I wonder if the shape of the parabolic extender needs to be matched to the 2.4 or 5.8 band.  

No different in shape as long the 2.4/5.8 antenna stay in the focal point
2018-8-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The guy who came up with this is named Mike Erskine.  He originally developed it for his own wifi router to give him more wifi signal security by blocking the signal behind the deflector and forcing it forward, but the idea works for drones too, of course.  Many Chinese aftermarketers have copied his design.  I was in emails with him a year or two ago and he said his design will work for both 2.4 and 5.8 ghz.  You don't have to move the focal point (the distance from the deflector).  I don't understand why because it seems to me there would be half-wave phase-shift problems, but what do I know?  If you study his design, you'll see that his is a little different in that it wraps around the antenna on both sides as well as the back.  If you're interested, check out his site here:  http://www.freeantennas.com/

2018-8-22
Use props
Alex Batalov
Captain

Spain

The change is automatic as usual between the 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz range with the parabolic range extenders.
If you have it set to auto in settings of course.

Safe Flying.
Alex.
2018-8-23
Use props
carlpfranger
lvl.4

Thanks @Mark The Droner & @dudez7
I had a simple conversation with a couple of EEs who focus on signal and they said the general principal was solid, but the shape would have to change to be a optimal for 2.4 or 5.8, but it could improve the signal even if it was not optimal.   So if someone constructed one that was designed for 2.4, or 5.8 you would see even better improvements. If this is true, then all of these antenna adapters would have to help one frequency more then the other.   
2018-8-28
Use props
Ivan Diaz
New

United States

Attempting to fly over work station in a kitchen from a fast food chain restaurant and film but the video connect gets cut off and glitchy due to the metal equipment, magnetic fields, and numerous amount of WiFi connections (many retail stores in the area), would a signal booster like this help with the video connection? If not, is there a way to bypass all of the external environment and activity that causes the video to malfunction so that it works properly, glitch free?
2019-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules