Focus wheel adjustment?
11786 30 2018-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ApexVS
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

LOVING my RoninS on the D850... question: is there any means of adjusting the sensitivity of the focus wheel? While it does work, I'm having to turn it a LOT to show appreciative focus change... I was hoping to be able to ramp up the amount of focal change per turn of the wheel?
thanks!
2018-8-21
Use props
alexkachkaev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221125 ft
Russia

Yeah I'm SO interested, too!
2018-8-25
Use props
Jesaul
lvl.3
Netherlands

I agree. The same is for me.
I would like the sensitivity to be a parameter.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

From what I see, the focus wheel is not a one-to-one adjustment.  The faster you turn the wheel, the larger the focus move.  The slower you turn the wheel, the slower the adjustment.  This might not be true on all brands of cameras, but for my Panny Gh5s, it is true.
2018-9-4
Use props
RobGrange
New
Flight distance : 112756 ft
United Kingdom

I would like this feature too,

with the canons it is 1 2 1 at any speed, in my opinion, it should be like this to allow you to do accurate pull focuses, but its a few full rotations of the wheel to go form minimum distance to infinity and this doesn't make for easy smooth pulls.

as I see it it should have sensitivity from 1/4 turn to go full range on the lens through to the levels it is now.  the option for 121 and speed of movement to adjust sensitivity and  these should be in the 3 mode settings for ease of switching on a shoot and needless to say on all cameras
2018-11-29
Use props
djiuser_QsiiAsEMWBV8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 742290 ft
United States

Dji we would love to hear from you about this. The sensitivity on the focus wheel is way too sensitive. We would love an update or something.
2018-12-17
Use props
djiuser_QsiiAsEMWBV8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 742290 ft
United States

Dji we would love to hear from you about this. The sensitivity on the focus wheel is way too sensitive. We would love an update or something.
2018-12-17
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On my Z7 focus wheel is far too sensitive - OP says not sensitive enough on D850.. hmm we need an adjustment option please!
2018-12-18
Use props
Between2tides
lvl.2
United States

Has there been any new information on this. Mine is also far to sensitive making what looks to be a fantastic product difficult to use. DJI could you weigh in here? Thanks.
2019-2-6
Use props
Lord Leonard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6726 ft
United States

The Ronin smartphone app has 2 modes for the focus wheel.  Fast & Slow.  They are both pretty much useless while filming.  I normally adjust the wheel before I start recording as it's kind of hard to turn and It took about a full turn just to go 1mm on the lens.  This was on a Sony a6500 with the 18-105mm.  
2019-2-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Between2tides Posted at 2-6 08:46
Has there been any new information on this. Mine is also far to sensitive making what looks to be a fantastic product difficult to use. DJI could you weigh in here? Thanks.

Hi there, sorry for the troubles with the Focus Wheel, may we verify you are referring to the speed of the Focus Wheel is too sensitive to control or the physical Focus Wheel's knob? Any chance to share us a short video of the issue and the serial number of the Focus Wheel? Thank you in advance.
2019-2-12
Use props
Erikdsn
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2-12 02:10
Hi there, sorry for the troubles with the Focus Wheel, may we verify you are referring to the speed of the Focus Wheel is too sensitive to control or the physical Focus Wheel's knob? Any chance to share us a short video of the issue and the serial number of the Focus Wheel? Thank you in advance.

I have the Z7 and am also having an issue with the focus wheel being far too sensitive. Has anyone figured out if there’s a way to adjust it?

I’m using the 24-70 f4 lens if it makes a difference.
2019-2-23
Use props
Erikdsn
lvl.1
United States

I have the Z7 and am also having an issue with the focus wheel being far too sensitive. Has anyone figured out if there’s a way to adjust it?

2019-2-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Erikdsn Posted at 2-23 14:51

Hi Erikdsn, any chance to share us a short video of the issue and the serial number of the Focus Wheel? Thank you in advance.
2019-2-24
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

We're adding focus wheel adjustment speed.
2019-2-24
Use props
Between2tides
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2-24 22:46
We're adding focus wheel adjustment speed.

Paul, First off, thanks for getting back. When should we expect this?

I'm using manual cinema lenses that has approximately 270° of movement from closeup to infinity. Currently the focus wheel takes that and reduces it to about 15°. That is far to fine to allow for an accurate focus pull. Which makes the focus wheel somewhat useless.

I called about four months ago and was told they didn't understand my problem? So I ordered another product that solves the problem. But I'd still like to get this right with DJI's.
2019-2-26
Use props
Between2tides
lvl.2
United States

Bump to the top!
2019-3-4
Use props
alexkachkaev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221125 ft
Russia

It would be totally awesome if DJI could implement a mode for Focus Wheel, where the rotation speed of focusing wheel does not affect the focus sensitivity. Which means if I turn focus wheel quickly or slowly for 90 degrees, the lens focus will always turn 90 degrees too.
Basically, it's the only way to make focus pulling work, because currently you neither have chance to predict where your focus will be when you turn the wheel, nor can you reproduce rack focus twice in a row.
Or maybe you can, but God knows how much practice time it will take.
2019-4-2
Use props
i.am.ivan.stan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345302 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

How can i adjust the speed with which motor turns. I dont want to rotate 360 degrees in order to move lens just a tiny bit. Can you add this in settings. I want to be able to spin entire ramge with short roll on the focus wheel
2019-4-7
Use props
fans992933f9
lvl.1

United States

HELLO DJI...
Can you please help here???
2019-4-19
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, the focus wheel is too sensitive while controlling my A7III via the USB-C cable.  This does not need a video to describe.  The focus wheel sensitivity needs to be adjustable.
2019-4-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

sky_makai Posted at 4-20 17:44
Yes, the focus wheel is too sensitive while controlling my A7III via the USB-C cable.  This does not need a video to describe.  The focus wheel sensitivity needs to be adjustable.

Hi sky_makai, the video is requested in order to verify if the Focus Wheel is too sensitive physically or functionally. For Sony cameras, the speed of focus can be adjusted in the Create--Camera Control, please try to slow down the speed.
2019-4-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans992933f9 Posted at 4-19 07:15
HELLO DJI...
Can you please help here???

Hi there, may I verify which camera you are using?
2019-4-22
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 4-22 03:00
Hi sky_makai, the video is requested in order to verify if the Focus Wheel is too sensitive physically or functionally. For Sony cameras, the speed of focus can be adjusted in the Create--Camera Control, please try to slow down the speed.

@DJIMindy
I've put the settings on low in the App.  It is still too sensitive.  It should be 1/2 as sensitive in Low.
2019-5-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

sky_makai Posted at 5-30 11:58
@DJIMindy
I've put the settings on low in the App.  It is still too sensitive.  It should be 1/2 as sensitive in Low.

Thanks for getting back, your concern will be forwarded to our engineers for attention in the future development, appreciate your feedback.
2019-5-30
Use props
jburkett
lvl.2

United States

We will optimize this issue by  FW update  in the future.
2019-6-4
Use props
GoodLifeMedia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36677 ft
United States

Did this focus wheel sensitivity problem ever get fixed ?
2020-9-4
Use props
RMS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62077 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2019-5-30 20:23
Thanks for getting back, your concern will be forwarded to our engineers for attention in the future development, appreciate your feedback.

Hello
Obviously this (focus wheel speed/response) is in the current firmware-2.4.1.30/App-1.4.9(1494), but it is somewhat useless: whatever you set it to it will NOT remember the setting...
Set the speed to 50 in the App, then if the ronin-s is re-started- it is set at 10 again!
Any danger the gimbal could manage to remember how it has been set in the App, rather than having to change it every single time you boot the gimbal?
Or- if that is too difficult: make the default setting 50%, not 10%, this would make it somewhat less of a pain...

Cheers
Mark
2021-8-17
Use props
djiuser_yYBCXSNcciHw
lvl.1
Canada

This thread indicates there is a place in the app to set the focus wheel sensitivity. I've been through the app with a fine tooth comb and don't see anywhere that this can be adjusted?
Thank you
2021-11-3
Use props
fourthwall
lvl.1
United States

SOLUTION:
Posting this cause I don't see a well put together solution and it took me forever to figure it out.
1. Make sure your ronin is updated to the latest firmware via tie DJI Pro Assistant app on mac or pc
2. Check that your camera is connected, turned on and tethered to the gimbal
3. On the dji ronin app go into create > camera control > focus speed.
from there you'll be able to change the sensitivity of your focus wheel. It makes the focus wheel actually usable, almost returned my focus wheel cause i thought it would be useless and it took me an hour of digging through forums to figure out how to do it. (DJI please add a support article on how to do this)
There could not be a less obvious way to do this, in my opinion they should move this into the settings section of the app.
2021-11-22
Use props
Alastair_Rankin
lvl.1

Germany

fourthwall Posted at 2021-11-22 15:00
SOLUTION:
Posting this cause I don't see a well put together solution and it took me forever to figure it out.
1. Make sure your ronin is updated to the latest firmware via tie DJI Pro Assistant app on mac or pc

Even when set to 1/100, the lens jumps from minimum focus to infinity...
Canon R6 with EF 35mm f2 IS and Ronin S with current firmware
2022-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules