Noise issue
1209 16 2018-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dendrees
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi,

I recently received my Mavic Pro, could not wait for the Mavic 2 because of my trip to the US.

So I did a bit of testing and I noticed allot of noise in the video even at iso 100. These are my setting: 4k, 30fps, 1/80, iso 100, sharpness +1, d-cinelike and standard

When I use 0 or -1 sharpness the image becomes blurry and not usable in my opinion. So is this normal with these kind of settings in sunny daylight.??
It's visible acros the full frame of the video and even more noticeable in de shadows, like trees.

Some video footage with this issue:

2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there. thank you for reaching out and sorry for some inconvenience for what you experiencing. Regarding with that may I ask if are you using a Recommended SD card? or at least class 10 or higher?
2018-8-21
Use props
dendrees
lvl.2
Netherlands

Yes the recommended Sandisk cards by Dji
2018-8-21
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

This is unfortunately a well known problem, I have switched back and forward between D-log and D-cinelike with different sharpness settings and DJI have gotten the request/proposal several times that they should have a separate "button" for noice reduction in the GO app which they obviously can't or will not solve.

It's like you describe that the "shadow" parts like trees and stuff loose a lot of detail.

This is an example of how it can look with D-cinelike and the settings +1 -1 -1

ND filter is on ND16 Polar pro, Iso 100, manual mode, Shutter around 60, 4K 30 FPS

You have to experiment a little bit.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-162296-1-1.html
2018-8-21
Use props
dendrees
lvl.2
Netherlands

Flybee Posted at 2018-8-21 11:05
This is unfortunately a well known problem, I have switched back and forward between D-log and D-cinelike with different sharpness settings and DJI have gotten the request/proposal several times that they should have a separate "button" for noice reduction in the GO app which they obviously can't or will not solve.

It's like you describe that the "shadow" parts like trees and stuff loose a lot of detail.

Hi Flybee,

Nice footage! The noise on your video is less noticeable than mine. But I did no post-editing on my video. It was just a test of the camera.
It's strange because Dji support is telling me this is not normal and I should return the Mavic pro. However on the web I read allot of topics about visible noise. So I am not sure what is acceptable?
2018-8-21
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

What you have is the so called temporal noise issue plus a bit od spacial noise. After looking into this like many quite a lot - the issue us that at most settings the firmware of the capture chip is automatically reducing the bit stream bandwidth by doing this area buffering of low contrast parts of the frame - these are updated every 8th frame - for you see the low surface detail on the water seeming to freeze and then update on the 8th frame. The spatial noise in the grass is due to high frequency sampling error which relates to the 60 megabit data sample rate. For me the solution is to on shoot at UHD resolution as the is near 4K but reduces the amount of data per-frame by a significant percentage - I also use the '180' rule and shoot 25fps shutter 1/50 (native Pal TV) standard.  This helps remove the temporal aliasing. The high frequency spatial noise can only be removed or alleviated as a post process in the editing software - by using the Neat Video de-noise plugin. It's a slow but thorough process, and only worth doing on short amounts of footage. So usually the last part of an edit.
2018-8-21
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

This is a common problem and I had it when I first started flying. Went through a bunch of suggested settings until I found ones that worked. Flybee's settings are pretty close to what I ended up with in the end so you might want to start there.
2018-8-21
Use props
dendrees
lvl.2
Netherlands

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-8-21 14:10
What you have is the so called temporal noise issue plus a bit od spacial noise. After looking into this like many quite a lot - the issue us that at most settings the firmware of the capture chip is automatically reducing the bit stream bandwidth by doing this area buffering of low contrast parts of the frame - these are updated every 8th frame - for you see the low surface detail on the water seeming to freeze and then update on the 8th frame. The spatial noise in the grass is due to high frequency sampling error which relates to the 60 megabit data sample rate. For me the solution is to on shoot at UHD resolution as the is near 4K but reduces the amount of data per-frame by a significant percentage - I also use the '180' rule and shoot 25fps shutter 1/50 (native Pal TV) standard.  This helps remove the temporal aliasing. The high frequency spatial noise can only be removed or alleviated as a post process in the editing software - by using the Neat Video de-noise plugin. It's a slow but thorough process, and only worth doing on short amounts of footage. So usually the last part of an edit.

So this is normal behaviour? It's odd support is telling me to return the Mavic.
2018-8-21
Use props
dendrees
lvl.2
Netherlands

dendrees Posted at 2018-8-21 21:24
So this is normal behaviour? It's odd support is telling me to return the Mavic.

Actually this was shot at 3840x2160, 30fps. Because they told me this resolution has more benefits.
2018-8-21
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Sweden

dendrees Posted at 2018-8-21 11:48
Hi Flybee,

Nice footage! The noise on your video is less noticeable than mine. But I did no post-editing on my video. It was just a test of the camera.

Hi.

Thanks, I did no post either (from a noice or sharpness point).

I have seen different results from different versions of Firmware, i'm now on .400 i.e. latest.
What is acceptable must be a thing that you have to decide upon your self.
I wish we had less noice but I'm used to it now somehow. I have learned how to minimize it at least.

If DJI say send in and you have guarantee I would say that it might be worth it.
I have one of the early MP's and got it replaced with an other problem ie. corners did not have "any" sharpness i.e. unusable.

Good luck

2018-8-22
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Sweden

dendrees Posted at 2018-8-21 21:55
Actually this was shot at 3840x2160, 30fps. Because they told me this resolution has more benefits.

I would say that the resolution have little to do with it based on my experiences so far.
2018-8-22
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dendrees Posted at 2018-8-21 21:24

Yup DJI support front end doesn't know the technical intricacies of the capture chip and it's various firmware settings. They are there to pick up on obvious faults across all the drone's functions. The settings you have (UHD at 30fps) should be fine just set the shutter to 1/60 per second and if possible lock the iso to 100. I find I'm using an ND 32 filter all the time when its sunny - just to keep the settings at these values.
2018-8-22
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

dendrees Posted at 2018-8-21 11:04
Yes the recommended Sandisk cards by Dji

Unfortunately that's the last you'll hear from Mod's ... they seem quick to focus on the SD card and not the known limitations of the dynamics of the chip and associated firmware that supports it.  Try some of the settings suggested by Flybee ( post #4 ) and fly into some of those higher contrast situations.  I've notices similar outcomes when there are changing reflective surfaces (lake ripples) next to shadowed areas.  Tough for an image chip to handle, even with still cameras.
2018-8-22
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Peeps might find this helpful - if you are interested in a commercial plugin for noise reduction and removal.
2018-8-22
Use props
dendrees
lvl.2
Netherlands

This evening I tried the 4k 3840x2160, 25fps and compared it to 2.7K  2720 x1530 25fps. The 2.7 looks much cleaner and almost no flicker and less noise, seems like it's compression noise at the higher resolutions. If you rotate the gimball it's very noticeable. So I think I will go with 2.7K
2018-8-28
Use props
drone_bandit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 362028 ft
Czechia

dendrees Posted at 2018-8-28 10:48
This evening I tried the 4k 3840x2160, 25fps and compared it to 2.7K  2720 x1530 25fps. The 2.7 looks much cleaner and almost no flicker and less noise, seems like it's compression noise at the higher resolutions. If you rotate the gimball it's very noticeable. So I think I will go with 2.7K

very annoying issue, present on 4K resolutions. On Phantom 4 partial remedy was turning off 3D noise reduction in DJI go app, but on Mavic there is no such setting.
Issue very visible if you tilt gimbal up and down quickly. Not so strong when you pan right /left
When I watch some older Mavic Pro videos (2016) on youtube in 4K, issue is not so visible or present at all, may be it was introduced as an  "improvement" in some camera firmware update. Or intentionally ?
To avoid that issue now, you have to shoot at 2.7K of FHD, issue gone.

DJI, please plug 3D noise switch for Mavic Pro 1 into DJI Go APP

2018-9-1
Use props
artistrynetwork
lvl.1

I am experiencing almost a type of interlacing look / noise on any lines in my footage. I've done everything I can think of to do. All different resolutions reflect it. I've reset to factory defaults. I've rolled back firmware. All to no avail. Anyone have any solutions? I'm desperate to have to resolved as I have some jobs to work. Strange thing is that if I go into camera/photo mode it's crystal clear. I hope someone has a solution for me.

2018-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules