Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air Crash (Faulty battery)
963 21 2018-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8caade69
lvl.1
Flight distance : 150535 ft

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong location on the forum, however, I thought I'd share this.

So I was flying my new Mavic air the other day, and this was around my 10th flight with the drone after only having it for about 2 weeks (took me a long time to save up, being 17 YO ). Anyway, I was flying at a beach when I was on holiday and I saw this error briefly flash up on the screen it said 'Motor Current Error. Check your propellers and fly with caution. I carried on flying, as the error disappeared very quickly. Shortly after this, the drone seemed to just cut out and landed straight in the ocean. I'm really not sure what to do as I could really do without losing £700. I'd really appreciate if anybody from DJI could look into this for me and if any sort of discount could be offered on a new drone I would be so grateful!
I have posted a link to my flight record below

https://app.airdata.com/share/EGwFnD

Regards,

Toby
2018-8-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Hi Toby, I am very sorry for your crash first of all! Would you mind uploading your flightrecord also to this site and share the link with us?: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
It provides better information on what might have happend to your Mavic Air. What I can tell you already at this stage is that the "Motor Current Error" message has nothing to do with it, it is a false error message that soon will be eliminated with the next firmware update.
In any case I strongly recommend you to open a formal support case with DJI via email: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-8-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It doesn’t look like you had any problems with battery, problems concerning low gps and signal loss seem more like your problem, could you upload your log to link below come back here and post your link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-8-21
Use props
fans8caade69
lvl.1

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-21 13:54
Hi Toby, I am very sorry for your crash first of all! Would you mind uploading your flightrecord also to this site and share the link with us?: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
It provides better information on what might have happend to your Mavic Air. What I can tell you already at this stage is that the "Motor Current Error" message has nothing to do with it, it is a false error message that soon will be eliminated with the next firmware update.
In any case I strongly recommend you to open a formal support case with DJI via email: https://www.dji.com/support

Thanks for this, here's the flight log.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/IZMWESUHDBFLDIE8Y730/

Regards,
Toby
2018-8-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-21 13:59
It doesn’t look like you had any problems with battery, problems concerning low gps and signal loss seem more like your problem, could you upload your log to link below come back here and post your link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

I am glad that hallmark007 has picked up your case and with the flightrecord you have now posted is much more experienced to give you some further explanations. But I can at least confirm that there was no battery issue in your case.
2018-8-21
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

007 will be along once he has a chance to review your flight record.

I am not seeing the usual low battery issues......but,  I do see an altitude issue.  If I had to guess, not seeing all the info 007 will see......you may have crashed into the rocks......

Have you looked in the area where your AC went down??

Randy
2018-8-21
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just reviewed the KMZ file, and it does look like you can boat over to the location,  get wet and climb up a bit to try and fine your AC.

Does not look to me like it actually made it to the water......let's hope anyway
BTW,  Ladies and Gentlemen,  when flying in a valley, or next to TALL cliffs YOUR SAT COUNT WILL DROP.......therefore you MUST KNOW HOW TO FLY in ATTI mode, without GPS.

Randy
2018-8-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

The error warning was not a problem, your log shows that you lost downlink signal a few times and gps was very weak although you still had enough to fly,
Your log shows very simply that you the controller landed the aircraft, it shows you pulling left stick down until aircraft got to 2 ft No further stick movements by you when Aircraft was at 2 ft, aircraft just hovered there until end of your log where it shows altitude at -2ft, I’m not sure if you lost video signal but the distance and low altitude video feed may have been lost. Picture of last coordinates show it might not have landed in the water, unless of course you seen it land,
Edit: slight yaw movements almost at end of your log but I’m sure this had no real effect.
One question did you try RTH .
2018-8-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sincerely sorry for what happen to your Aircraft. Regarding with that, I would highly suggest to you to reach out one of our support channels in order for you to have an assistance regarding with the data analysis for them to know what could be the cause. You can just go to this link https://www.dji.com/support then select one of the support channels.
2018-8-21
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I concur. Looking at the log shows you were flying below 10 ft for a long time and it looks like you simply flew it into the water towards the end of the flight. It might be shallow enough where you crashed to recover the drone and send it to DJI for replacement.
2018-8-21
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
First Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Oh, that sucks. I hope you manage to get a new one. Sometimes DJI will give you a coupon for as much as 30% off. You might be able to buy just the drone as you already have the controller and chargers, etc.
If not, the Mavic 2 will be announced on Thursday, you might be able to pick up a cheap Mavic Pro or used Mavic Air shortly afterward.
2018-8-21
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you recovered the drone?
2018-8-21
Use props
nywrecker
First Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-21 13:54
It provides better information on what might have happend to your Mavic Air. What I can tell you already at this stage is that the "Motor Current Error" message has nothing to do with it, it is a false error message that soon will be eliminated with the next firmware update.

How do you know that DjI “will soon eliminate the error  in the next firmware”?
2018-8-21
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

New pilot should avoid flying over water. And most important is don’t fly too low above water. Especially you take off from higher place and fly to water below. It’s very difficult to judge the high of drone above water by FPV video and your eyes. Regardless water surface will confuse vision sensor below the drone. You should fly up first for safety not hit the RTH.
2018-8-21
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Toby,

Sorry for your loss.

Had a look into your flight.

You started your flight in OPTI mode, this due too low sat count.
You ended your flight in OPTI mode as well, GPS count dropped low to 4 (varies between 4 and 6, one reading 0)

If the craft is landed normally the flightmode will change in the log to Autolanding of Forcedlanding (user action). The Flightmode did not change at the end.
Last part the VPS height varied from 3.9 - 1.6.

I think it hit the not level ground over there, see the pitch and roll angles wich are not normal when landing at a level plain field.

As the GPS count dropped the LaLon positions are not updated.
Written last data in the log > 38.72791700 / 0.19699200.

PSYour HP was set not at take-off, this due to low sat count. It was set after 11 secs after take off.
Can you check yourself (google maps) if the HP LatLon is indeed 27 meters away from your takeoff position?
This means that if you use RTH it will land not where you are.....if flying close too the ocean its possible will land in the water! (if you flew that direction ofcourse)

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2018-8-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

nywrecker Posted at 2018-8-21 17:47
How do you know that DjI “will soon eliminate the error  in the next firmware”?

They have stated it several times here in the forum. Just search a bit for the many posts about this false error message.
2018-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JJBspark Posted at 2018-8-21 23:56
Hi Toby,

Sorry for your loss.

Homepoint recorded 10ft from take off.

2018-8-22
Use props
fans8caade69
lvl.1

Thank you all, I have emailed DJI to see if anything can be done in terms of discount for a new drone. Thanks for looking into the flight records and for clearing up the fact that the battery current error is unrelated (although I was kind of hoping it would be ;) ). I went to the location after crashing the drone and I could not find the remnants at all as it likely crashed over the sea and it looked far too dangerous to go and swim around for it. I thought I'd cut my losses at the drone without risking myself, haha. Recovering the drone is therefore out of the question as this crash happened in spain and I live in the UK! I think perhaps I was flying a bit too confidently for my ability but you know what they say, you've got to risk it for the shot. Although in this case I didn't get the shot... and crashed the drone... great!

Thank you all for your help!

Toby
2018-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans8caade69 Posted at 2018-8-22 02:08
Thank you all, I have emailed DJI to see if anything can be done in terms of discount for a new drone. Thanks for looking into the flight records and for clearing up the fact that the battery current error is unrelated (although I was kind of hoping it would be ;) ). I went to the location after crashing the drone and I could not find the remnants at all as it likely crashed over the sea and it looked far too dangerous to go and swim around for it. I thought I'd cut my losses at the drone without risking myself, haha. Recovering the drone is therefore out of the question as this crash happened in spain and I live in the UK! I think perhaps I was flying a bit too confidently for my ability but you know what they say, you've got to risk it for the shot. Although in this case I didn't get the shot... and crashed the drone... great!

No problem Toby, hopefully you get a result with dji and put it down to experience.
Good luck.
2018-8-22
Use props
nixuspix
Captain
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Another sad story of the beginner pilot, not paying adequate attention to manuals and community experience
2018-8-22
Use props
Christine96
Second Officer
United States

nixuspix Posted at 2018-8-22 02:38
Another sad story of the beginner pilot, not paying adequate attention to manuals and community experience

Absolutely right.  Read everything you can about the drone.  They are not toys and too expensive to fly haphazardly.  I'm still researching and reading manuals as a beginner and slowly building my confidence as I gain knowledge.   Of course that's no guarantee I still won't do something stupid.   
2018-8-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

fans8caade69 Posted at 2018-8-22 02:08

likely crashed over the sea and it looked far too dangerous to go and swim around for it. I thought I'd cut my losses at the drone without risking myself, haha.

That was the smart and correct decision.  Speaking from SCUBA experinces; You never want to put yourself in ocean water with waves near rocks (or anything else you can get slammed into).

2018-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules