Aperture adjustment
3730 15 2015-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Merle Robillard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69918 ft
Canada

I notice currently there's no aperture adjustment. Will there be in a later update or is the aperture physically fixed at 2.8?

2015-5-27
Use props
joel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1805141 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fixed.  It's shutter priority, meaning you control the shutter speed for a fixed aperture.
2015-5-27
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Personally, I would be stunned if an adjustable aperture version came out. Even with it fixed at 2.4, you can alter both the ISO and the shutter speed - and the frame rate.

Unfortunately, to counter that bright sun we apparently need neutral density filters - I think they've been promised by DJI but not yet seen.
2015-5-27
Use props
Merle Robillard
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks for the reply. That is unfortunate. In order to achieve fluid 50fps video you have to shoot at a maximum of 1/100 and that just isn't achievable at f2.4 at 100iso on any day. Oh well, guess I'll purchase some ND filters when they're available.
2015-5-27
Use props
Merle Robillard
lvl.2
Canada

Oh, and this statement on page 24 of the manual lead me to believe otherwise:

[1] Camera Settings Dial
Turn the dial to adjust camera settings such as ISO, shutter speed and aperture without letting go of the remote controller...
2015-5-27
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

Merle Robillard Posted at 2015-5-28 00:02
Thanks for the reply. That is unfortunate. In order to achieve fluid 50fps video you have to shoot a ...

I am waiting on these to start shipping, however I have seen them by the same manufacturer cheaper on EBAY.

http://polarprofilters.com/shop/DJI-Phantom-3-Filter
2015-5-27
Use props
jkgoos
lvl.1

Suriname

digitaldave Posted at 2015-5-27 19:42
I am waiting on these to start shipping, however I have seen them by the same manufacturer cheaper ...

I hope DJI is reading this. how can it be that you call it a professional drone if one cannot even SET THE APERTURE. THIS IS AN TOY COPTER AND NOT A PRO COPTER, SO PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
EVEN CHARGE AN EXTRA 50 FOR APERTURE SETTING CAPABILITY, WE WONT FEEL IT AS A RIP-OFF
2015-8-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Aperture control is not a software or firmware setting, it is a mechanical device that is part of the lens and requires a motor and other complex equipment to make it work. The camera is too small to fit all that gear inside. It is no different from any of the other action camera devices, including the GoPro in this regard.
2015-8-29
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

No Iris.

Buy an ND 8 filter.

http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-nd8-filter
2015-8-29
Use props
jkgoos
lvl.1

Suriname

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-8-29 19:58
No Iris.

Buy an ND 8 filter.

ND FILTER IS NICE IF YOU ON PURPOSE WANT TO KEEP YOUR WIDE OPEN LENS, BUT APERTURE ON A LENS GIVES YOU MORE THAN JUST A DARKER IMAGE. THE OPTICAL QUALITY OF THE LENS IS OFTEN BETTER WITH 1 or 2 stops of aperture. say this lens is f2.8 if you can stop it down to f5.6 you will probably get an sharper image!
2015-8-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

jkgoos@sr.net Posted at 2015-8-30 10:20
ND FILTER IS NICE IF YOU ON PURPOSE WANT TO KEEP YOUR WIDE OPEN LENS, BUT APERTURE ON A LENS GIVES ...

The lens on the camera is optimised for the job it is doing, this is not the lens that you find on a normal camera, it is designed to give a fixed Field of view, fixed focus and fixed aperture. If you want variable iris, then buy a bigger aircraft and fly a DLSR.

And it is not nice to yell at people using uppercase letters.
2015-8-29
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

jkgoos@sr.net Posted at 2015-8-29 17:20
ND FILTER IS NICE IF YOU ON PURPOSE WANT TO KEEP YOUR WIDE OPEN LENS, BUT APERTURE ON A LENS GIVES ...

And if the DJI camera had an Iris... You might be right.

The DJI camera has a fixed aperture.  No Iris.  Therefore the only choice we have is an ND filter to slow the shutter down on bright days.
2015-8-31
Use props
jkgoos
lvl.1

Suriname

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-27 11:53
Personally, I would be stunned if an adjustable aperture version came out. Even with it fixed at 2.4 ...

Technically it must be possible imo to make a srew-on aperture just like the screw-on filters.
Even combined with ND-filters
2015-10-29
Use props
jkgoos
lvl.1

Suriname

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-8-29 19:58
No Iris.

Buy an ND 8 filter.

It must be possible to make a srew-on aperture, just like the ND FILTERS
2015-10-29
Use props
michael.tristra
lvl.3
Flight distance : 769042 ft
Australia

jkgoos@sr.net Posted at 2015-10-30 12:08
It must be possible to make a srew-on aperture, just like the ND FILTERS

"Screw-on aperture".........that's gold. Funniest thing I have heard all day. Geebax's reply nailed it.

To the OP, the polar pro filters are great. Well made, correct weight, and easy to clean. I live near the coast and film over surf regularly so cleaning is a must. I use the ND8 and ND16 all the time to slow the shutter right dow and get nice smooth video.
2015-10-29
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

A "screw on aperture" on a wide angle lens would simply vignette the image...  Not make it darker.  In order to function properly the aperture would have to be in the right location inside the optical path.  (Inside the lens.)
2015-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules