Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin S Motor issue?
17592 26 2018-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
QEdit
lvl.1

Hi,

have had the Ronin S for a week and works well as long as you don't move much.

Please refer to the video link below. Sorry about the focus, was in a hurry.  

Camera is balanced very well and autotune performed. When I swing/rotate to the right (anticlockwise) the motors vibrate badly and sometimes all the motors loses control.
I have waisted hours trying different balances and app settings. Gimbal has the latest firmware.

Has anyone else having the same issues? Is there a fix?

2018-8-22
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi QEdit, sorry for the difficulties on operating the Ronin-S, the video is not available, could you please upload again?
Did you try the Auto Tune? If the issue persists, may I have a screenshot of the Motor Parameters and Advanced Settings? Thank you.
2018-8-22
Use props
QEdit
lvl.1

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-22 22:29
Hi QEdit, sorry for the difficulties on operating the Ronin-S, the video is not available, could you please upload again?
Did you try the Auto Tune? If the issue persists, may I have a screenshot of the Motor Parameters and Advanced Settings? Thank you.

Sorry Mindy I had the permissions on the video set incorrectly (I'm old school). The video link should work now.

Before I shot the video I did perform a Auto Tune and the parameters were all +- 1
2018-8-22
Use props
Dilli666
lvl.1
Germany

Sorry, no solution here but I've got the exact same issue as in your video. Received my Ronin-S two days ago and tried several lens setups with my GH5.
Carefully balanced it every time and also updated the FW to latest release - problem still persists.

Maybe an issue with the latest wave of the Ronin-S?
2018-8-23
Use props
Rieder
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1056 ft
Denmark

Mine does the exact same thing. Tilting it sideways makes the motors rumble hard. I've balanced it perfectly and I've run all the auto tune and calibrations.
2018-8-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi all, this issue may occur when the axis is rotated to its limit, we will get it optimized in the future firmware, sorry for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience.
2018-8-23
Use props
han360
New
Austria

Thanks for recording and posting it here. I am facing the same issue and thought I am doing something wrong.
2018-8-23
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

if you're trying to transition from high to low or low to high, you don't do it sideways. This is where gimbal lock occurs. The Ronin-S was designed to be transitioned front to back and holding the trigger. You would also never shoot anything at that angle. There's nothing wrong with your Ronin-S as the current firmware makes them all behave this way.
2018-8-23
Use props
Mikex
lvl.4
Ukraine

had the same issue, and I'm worrying that gimbal can kill my lens or camera. My lens already received some kicks from gimbal
2018-8-23
Use props
QEdit
lvl.1

Mikex Posted at 2018-8-23 05:29
had the same issue, and I'm worrying that gimbal can kill my lens or camera. My lens already received some kicks from gimbal

Thanks all for replying to my original post.  

As DJI-Paul says, it seems that it’s normal for the gimbal to do this… Normal?

Being an Electronics Engineer from way back (when computers ran on steam)  I can see now that the problem is not with the mechanics but with the software.  It shouldn’t matter what angle a properly balanced gimbal is on the motors and control systems shouldn’t get ‘confused’.  In this day and age this sort of tolerance is NOT acceptable.

Lets hope that the software (firmware) guys can fix this bug PROMPTLY before someones camera and or gimbal suffers serious damage. Looks like Mikex gear has already had some knocks.

I would be careful plugging a monitor or audio cable into the camera as it could get ripped out when the gimbal ‘loses it’.

Looking forward to the bug being fixed in the next firmware release.
2018-8-23
Use props
Baaen1977
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3788520 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Same issue here. The gimbal sits perfectly still when turned off at this angle. Turn the motor on and shakes
2018-8-23
Use props
NCP
lvl.3
United States

I've had a similar problem I noticed since day one of having my gimbal. It isn't just moving high to low, it is just turning/rotating it sideways that does it also. Also underslung mode has a problem where you can no longer adjust its tilt at a certain point. Will try to take video when I have time.
2018-8-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi all, the post in 8# is from our engineers about its working principle, please refer to it, thank you.
2018-8-25
Use props
QEdit
lvl.1

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-25 01:09
Hi all, the post in 8# is from our engineers about its working principle, please refer to it, thank you.

Sorry Mindy but I'm sure that many users would not find that an acceptable answer. Please refer once again to post in #10.

Going by the amount of replies to the original post this is potentially a big problem.

If you can’t  endeavour to fix the issue in future updates, perhaps you should publish warnings to advise users that the gimbal may perform severe movements and or become unstable if rotated anti-clockwise”

… or something to that effect.  
2018-8-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

QEdit Posted at 2018-8-25 04:02
Sorry Mindy but I'm sure that many users would not find that an acceptable answer. Please refer once again to post in #10.

Going by the amount of replies to the original post this is potentially a big problem.

Hi QEdit, I understand your concern, the issue will be forwarded to our engineers for attention, we will keep optimizing our product, please note our website about the future firmware update, thank you.
2018-8-29
Use props
Mikex
lvl.4
Ukraine

what if gimbal will kill someone camera/lens/mic/etc?
2018-9-2
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Qedit, have you tried plugging your camera into the GH5 with the supplied USB-C cable?  I'm curious to know if you are seeing the same problems that many of us are seeing when our GH5/GH5s is plugged into the Ronin.  Especially if you also have an external HDMI monitor connected.  Be aware that many of us are seeing borderline violent behavior when the Ronin goes out of control.  But we are also seeing our motors go limp, buttons don't work, focus randomly doesn't work, etc.  It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.  (My Ronin totally went out of control on a shoot yesterday, in front of the client).

If you DO find that your Ronin acts up when plugged into the GH5, please update this post with more info.  Also consider adding GH5 to the title of this thread so we can more easily distinguish GH5 owners who are having issues.  Thanks Q
2018-9-8
Use props
QEdit
lvl.1

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-8 05:45
Hi Qedit, have you tried plugging your camera into the GH5 with the supplied USB-C cable?  I'm curious to know if you are seeing the same problems that many of us are seeing when our GH5/GH5s is plugged into the Ronin.  Especially if you also have an external HDMI monitor connected.  Be aware that many of us are seeing borderline violent behavior when the Ronin goes out of control.  But we are also seeing our motors go limp, buttons don't work, focus randomly doesn't work, etc.  It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen.  (My Ronin totally went out of control on a shoot yesterday, in front of the client).

If you DO find that your Ronin acts up when plugged into the GH5, please update this post with more info.  Also consider adding GH5 to the title of this thread so we can more easily distinguish GH5 owners who are having issues.  Thanks Q

Sorry Mabou2,  I only have a GH4 at this time. I'm waiting for the new Blackmagic camera.

But I have the Ronin spin out of control many times during shoots, luckily the lens has escaped damage but I can't say the same about my audio and monitor cables been ripped out and the gimbal crashing into the end-stops.

As all of us have reported that our gimbals have been balanced correctly therefore it MUST be the software (firmware) that is the problem.  There are bugs in the code that cause the gimbal to become unstable when certain values (states) are reported by the sensors and by the motors (position).  These should not be torque related in a balanced gimbal.  If the software guys have dealt with these sort of bugs in their other gimbals, then they should be able to debug the algorithms in Ronin S.  

Hopefully they make this a priority before selling or shipping any more units and release an upgrade.
2018-9-8
Use props
QEdit
lvl.1

QEdit Posted at 2018-9-8 13:10
Sorry Mabou2,  I only have a GH4 at this time. I'm waiting for the new Blackmagic camera.

But I have the Ronin spin out of control many times during shoots, luckily the lens has escaped damage but I can't say the same about my audio and monitor cables been ripped out and the gimbal crashing into the end-stops.

Hello again,  just noticed the firmware update (blind camera man).  Hopefully it addresses some of the concerns above.
2018-9-8
Use props
LAStory
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53862 ft
United States

DJI Paul, whenever you respond to a support conversation your input seems defensive.  There is never anything wrong with the gimbal, and it seems like you are usually pointing to user error.  When people post serious issues for which nobody at DJI has a good answer, you are nowhere to be found.  I'm sorry for being so blunt, as my intention is not to insult you.  It is just my observation.
2018-9-11
Use props
Clemmcinerney
lvl.1
Flight distance : 505062 ft
Ireland

Help!

I received my Ronin S after months of waiting. I balanced it, did the firmware update and begun to get used to operating it! When I would try attempt to go under slung it would go crazy. Spinning out and then vibrate like mad! Now, it’s not working. The battery is on, the focus pull works (connected to Gh5) but I have no power in the motors... please help!
2018-9-14
Use props
fans1a894973
lvl.1
Flight distance : 94360 ft
United States

I have somewhat of the same problem, except mines spins out of control as soon as I turn it on. All 3 axis are balanced excellent according to the balance test. Please help!
2019-1-21
Use props
thestorybehind
New

Singapore

Hi guys,

Facing Ronin-S motor issues too.

Have already updated the firmware etc. When it's switched on, the machine will tilt up on it's own. When we double-tapped the button to reset it, it won't respond. It will only reset after we adjusted the joystick. The gimbal will also tilt non-stop, even after we have stop adjusting the joystick and it also can't be reseted. Have already sent repair request to DJI via email but hardly no reply.

Please help! Thanks!
2019-2-17
Use props
djiuser_K9frRxSEfYlY
lvl.1

Pakistan

Hi Dji support
I have your product ronin s, and I have issue my camera tilt going down, I have check balance thrice and struggling with this problem from many days I also try auto tune, and calibration, everything but still facing problem.
Please respond as soon as possible I have shoot and I need to setup.
2019-11-25
Use props
Gli7ch
New

Ethiopia

Hello. I got my Ronin S about a month ago, and after some time of using it, it started turning off/sleep the motors when randomly while on use. Then I updated the firmware and it seemed to have been fine for a couple of days, then suddenly it won't even work anymore. The motors are up but no response.
This is really frustrating.
2020-1-10
Use props
van_pyf
lvl.1
Malaysia

Gli7ch Posted at 1-10 00:59
Hello. I got my Ronin S about a month ago, and after some time of using it, it started turning off/sleep the motors when randomly while on use. Then I updated the firmware and it seemed to have been fine for a couple of days, then suddenly it won't even work anymore. The motors are up but no response.
This is really frustrating.

Hi, I've been having the same problem. Have you managed to get any response from DJI or any solution? This is really frustrating for me too as i depend on it for work.
2020-6-18
Use props
Carlos May
New
Spain

The Gimbal goes crazy. I have tried everything, restoring default settings, balance tests, automatic settings, etc.

Once turned on, it works fine, and as soon as I make the movement, it vibrates and starts moving in all angles, the motors are disconnected and it goes into standby.

The thing is that until recently, it worked correctly and suddenly began to fail in an aggressive way. I don't know how to fix it and as I see here, the DJI support does not care about the problems of its customers.
2020-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules