Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Requesting Flight log diagnosis
2254 20 2018-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dan B-P4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1247913 ft
United States

Would you ladies and gentlemen take a look at the below flight log. Tell me what you see and perhaps what happen but more to the point the why of what happen happen.

I don't want to taint your opinions with my first hand accounting, my actions during the flight and what I seen etc just yet. I will once you've had a chance to review the log.

And no, not a test not attempting to trick anyone. I've read many of your flight log reviews and I value your opinions. If you'd like or want it in another format just ask, I kinda like "airdata" thus far.

https://app.airdata.com/share/eogWKy/GENERALOverview

Thank you for any input you'd care to offer,

Dan

2018-8-22
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

What exactly didn't seem to be working as expected during your flight?
2018-8-22
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Your question is very vague.  I suggest you go to this website and post your flightlog:   http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/.  It is much more detailed.
2018-8-22
Use props
Dan B-P4
Second Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-22 06:41
Your question is very vague.  I suggest you go to this website and post your flightlog:   http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/.  It is much more detailed.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/UNLZQGTLPZFPP6ECAV23/
2018-8-22
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

5 seconds after you switched to sports mode, all telemetry  stops.  I assume it fell to the to the ground.   Why is anybody's guess .
2018-8-22
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

There is a lot of flying just above grass level, then you gain height, switch to sports mode, accelerate hard and the log stops.
Everything looks normal until the log stops, so my guess is that the extra power demand of 21 amps from the battery fused something...
2018-8-22
Use props
Dan B-P4
Second Officer
United States

Ok to vague but wanted the log to speak for itself to start out. I'd add the narrative once you've everyone that wanted to had time to look it over.

What happen,

I bought a P4 from a authorized dealer, it included two batteries. One in the box with the drone sealed from the factory the other following in a separate shipment.
When I didn't get the second battery I questioned the dealer, my suspicions where raised based on comments they made about the origin of said second battery. So I asked a question also I stated that the listing stated that it included 2 DJi intelligent flight batteries and nothing about any "third" party battery as part of the deal. I was assured it was going to be a DJi battery and when they get more they'll send it right out. (got it right away not the issue here)

The battery shows up and sure enough its a Powerextra battery not a Dji battery like in the box. The original sealed in the box being dead sent back for a new one. In the end I sent it back they refunded me for it, I bought a new one local here, a Dji 5870mAH battery.

The PE battery while seamed to work just fine a couple of times I got a "battery error" but nothing under "warnings" in Dji go to describe the problem beyond that , just said "battery error".
So I called and asked if I should send it to them or Dji, they stated either one if I choose to do that but didn't sound necessary as voltages where near perfect. (I had to return a second Dji 5870mAH as it suffered what would be considered major cell deviations.

I thought perhaps the battery lost connection momentarily but not effecting flight, I powered it up releasing the battery latches here on the table in attempt to cause same. I could move the battery all around as much as it could move and no error. With latches released I could pull the battery out very near the limit of its contacts and no error. Strongly suggesting to me that at no time does that battery loose contact with the drone.
I asked the dealer a direct question "has Dji blocked any such info from Powerextra batteries in the firmware to stop or an attempt to prevent use?" No was the response but offered no reason it didn't offer more other than "battery error" no other info with it.

So the above flight was a test of that battery to determine if that battery needed to go back or not. Keeping in mind now that I make sure all battery's are firmly pushed in place and locked there. The previous battery errors mostly tend to happen during landing just as drone touched the ground, I believe three total one of those being during mid flight. Of probably four to five total flights with that battery to start with.

So I fly around and low to the ground just to error on the safe side to see if I get another error with it, I fly and nothing not a hickup other than it reporting incorrect distance from the ground. Sunny day but the sun had dropped below the tree top level so was heavy shade. I noticed fly over the grass it was off by more than flight over the asphalt. I compare reading on screen to how tall I am, 6'2" it reporting 7 or 8 feet depending on how long I gave it to recalculate.

So I decide to bring it in swap out the battery for another one and see if the same happens, as I think about it at the time it seemed as every time I used that battery it suffer the same.

No problems in flight other than that to that point, and no big deal even understandable perhaps given conditions.  Keep in mind its shady but in no way "dark".

I fly down the parking lot let off forward pitch to change to sport mode lean back into forward in attempt to arch it around to bring it back to me, all a sudden and while in plain view of my wife and I it goes dead silent. The hum of its blades gone as we watch it pitch forward no power full forward roll landing on its four propellers. The battery was in it until it hit the ground, the battery is fine.. the P4? well not so much.

Now at the end of the flight log it lists its height at 77 feet, it was about 25 maybe 30 feet off the ground when it went dead silent. Needless to say it didn't work anymore after hitting the ground but had it been 77 feet it would have been much worse.

One motor wouldn't "spin" like the others, while you could turn it it wasn't normal. I do not know it that happen in flight or damage suffered hitting the ground. It literally made a forward roll 4 point landing on its propellers/motors.

Myself reading the log I do not see what brought it down.

Any questions please ask.   
2018-8-22
Use props
GaryNash
First Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Battery 72 percent on take off?

First flight of the day ? Or had you a quick flight beforehand

so what happened?  Critical landing and fell out the sky ?
2018-8-22
Use props
Dan B-P4
Second Officer
United States

GaryNash Posted at 2018-8-22 07:58
Battery 72 percent on take off?

First flight of the day ? Or had you a quick flight beforehand

Short flight just before that one never getting more than 3 feet off the grass. And yes batteries fully charged before any flight.

No errors no problems at that point, I wanted to check something so brought it back I do not recall why. Something in the dji go app I wanted to change and or recheck and I wanted it on the ground while I did it.

2018-8-22
Use props
Dan B-P4
Second Officer
United States

Dji has the drone and flight logs and all video with it now.

My wife the sweet heart that she is knew I wasn't happy about what happen and asked me if I wanted to go look at drones, I bought a MP and want to avoid that same thing from happening to it.

I do not feel for a second it was pilot error, hey if I flew it into a wall or tree, flew it in high winds and or with a battery I knew was iffy yea that be different but this one just died then dropped.

As you see no battery error whatsoever during that flight.

My read of the log shows all systems "normal"and right up to the second it fell from the sky, even updating battery percentage/voltages. Where the log ends the flight line ends, is the exact moment it dropped from the air.
2018-8-22
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

All the symptoms of battery failure.  Good case for DJI to take a look at, if it's still under warranty.
2018-8-22
Use props
GaryNash
First Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-22 08:18
All the symptoms of battery failure.  Good case for DJI to take a look at, if it's still under warranty.

I'd have to agree, although I'm certainly no expert . There's nothing in the logs regarding power warnings. Then someone just flips the power switch... game over..
2018-8-22
Use props
Dan B-P4
Second Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-22 08:18

Ok where do you see the symptoms of a battery failure?

The battery is fine I had to turn it off after picking it up off the parking lot. Its lights reading correct approximate level of charge. Keep in mind I couldn't actually test it under flight conditions!

The drone would power up here on the floor after the crash, I tried it with that same battery.

Gimbal error and couldn't spin motors but no surprise there. Gimbal bracket bent but not broke so couldn't center it,  IIRC it even had an image from it. Power reading the same etc etc.

And yes under warranty.

My next question would be about that battery. As I understand it, I didn't at the time, use of a third party battery voids warranty?  Buying from a "authorized dealer" the thought never occurred to me I'd get something included with it that could do so.

They are a authorized dealer, I did double check before buying.

What I haven't been able to determine is if powerextra makes batteries for Dji or not. Both batteries included where 5053mAh, one sealed in the box with the drone said Dji or manufactured for Dji, this one it doesn't say that on it.

I haven't been able to find a battery offered by Dji with a 5053mAh rating, third party yes but not from them. The battery in factory sealed in the box was a 5053mAh, standard for a P4. As I gather now 5780mAH standard for a P4P and above?
2018-8-22
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

If you use a 3rd party battery and the cause of the failure was battery-related, DJI will most likely not repair the Phantom under warranty.
2018-8-22
Use props
Dan B-P4
Second Officer
United States

msinger Posted at 2018-8-22 08:55
If you use a 3rd party battery and the cause of the failure was battery-related, DJI will most likely not repair the Phantom under warranty.

Yea I'm prepared for that argument,  however the battery in question was provided by their "authorized dealer" and with the drone and I can prove it with a good paper trail.

That said I'm questioning the cause of the failure, be nice if log showed without question what happen but I'm not seeing it.

Lost power? or lost that motor in flight? motor shorting out killing the esc stopping all motors, if that is even possible? not seeing that in log either...

Motor shaft did not appear bent nor pushed down into the winding but I did nothing to alter its condition. I left it as it was for Dji to see.

Flying one second nothing split second later.
2018-8-22
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Flying one second and then nothing a split second later usually means the battery either disconnected from the drone or it powered down. Had there been an issue with a motor/ESC, the log would have shown the drone tumbling to the ground. If you're not convinced the battery caused the problem, then open a case with DJI Support and send your drone in to be evaluated.

Unfortunately, DJI is not going to give you a free pass for buying 3rd party accessories from an authorized DJI dealer. Lots of authorized DJI dealers sell 3rd party accessories.
2018-8-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Another one for my list.  

Sorry for your loss.
2018-8-22
Use props
Dan B-P4
Second Officer
United States

msinger Posted at 2018-8-22 09:25
Flying one second and then nothing a split second later usually means the battery either disconnected from the drone or it powered down. Had there been an issue with a motor/ESC, the log would have shown the drone tumbling to the ground. If you're not convinced the battery caused the problem, then open a case with DJI Support and send your drone in to be evaluated.

Unfortunately, DJI is not going to give you a free pass for buying 3rd party accessories from an authorized DJI dealer. Lots of authorized DJI dealers sell 3rd party accessories.

I don't know what happen and reason I posted, you guys feel it was the battery so be it not here to argue, did so to get your opinions.

The battery rode the drone to the ground, shot out of its slot due to the impact, it was "on" when I picked it up off the ground. Battery shot out pretty much remaining where it hit the drone did a roll or two beyond it.

As mentioned earlier a case has been opened and Dji has the drone.

Based on comments little doubt at this point the battery and or it use will create waves for me with Dji, again from their dealer and included with the drone regardless how they wish to spin it. I didn't order a drone and a second third party battery. I ordered what was claimed to be a drone and two dji batteries.

I had no reason to believe use of either one of them would void my warranty with dji, thought never crossed my mind. I didn't and still don't know how many private label suppliers there are for dji's batteries. Covered either by dji or the retailer and no I don't care wich one steps up.

If it comes to it yea I will deal with the retailer that sold it to me, no problem with that. And if necessary then go to my CC provider. I pay for most things of higher value using one, It is very convenient and also for the extra protections provided by doing so.   

2018-8-22
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

If you have already sent it in, then what's the discussion about?  Dji can investigate the cause from the flight log and internal card.
2018-8-22
Use props
Dan B-P4
Second Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-22 10:52
If you have already sent it in, then what's the discussion about?  Dji can investigate the cause from the flight log and internal card.

Yup I know they will, I ticked the box so they'd do so.

Posted it to see if any of ya see something in that log I didn't.

Was looking for a heads up so to speak on what they might come back with, perhaps create a little discussion at the same time, no more than that.

If don't know that's fine came in with no great expectations, just thought it was worth a shot.
2018-8-22
Use props
Dan B-P4
Second Officer
United States

I just got a email from Dji, covered under warranty.

Good for them!!

2018-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules