Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Powers up briefly then shuts down
16746 22 2018-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Calebhoskins
lvl.1
United States

My DJI Osmo will power up briefly, gimbal swivels, and then it powers down.

During power up...Power LED turns green & blinks, it beeps 2-3 times, gimbal swivels around, left LED goes from red to green...then it just quits and power LED becomes red.

Battery was fully charged, reading 12.34 Volts. After power up attempts it still reads the same.

What next? Please help!

2018-8-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Our apologies for the inconvenience. If it is convenient for you, kindly provide a short video showing the issue. You can upload it by using google-drive or Dropbox and provide the link here. Thanks for your support.
2018-8-22
Use props
Calebhoskins
lvl.1
United States

Video attachedOsmo Video
2018-8-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. Regarding that, I would suggest giving a try to reset the firmware of the Osmo. Follow this instruction.
Load the latest version of the Osmo firmware on the SD Card.
Insert the Micro SD card in the X3 Gimbal.
Press and hold the Trigger and Shutter Button at the same time for at least 3 seconds.
Pull the power switch down until system status indicator blinks Red.
2018-8-22
Use props
Calebhoskins
lvl.1
United States

Attempted to upgrade firmware....the process failed and I got this .txt file: TXT
2018-8-22
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Calebhoskins Posted at 2018-8-22 11:17
Attempted to upgrade firmware....the process failed and I got this .txt file: TXT

Hi. Did you try to calibrate the gimbal? What error message that is showing in the app?
2018-8-23
Use props
Calebhoskins
lvl.1
United States

If you read the thread, you'll understand that I CANNOT calibrate the gimbal nor read any error messages in the app because it WILL NOT power on long enough to connect to the app or even create a wifi connection to my phone.
2018-8-23
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Calebhoskins Posted at 2018-8-23 05:04
If you read the thread, you'll understand that I CANNOT calibrate the gimbal nor read any error messages in the app because it WILL NOT power on long enough to connect to the app or even create a wifi connection to my phone.

Hi. Sorry for the late response. If that's the case, we highly suggest to send it to our repair facility and have it checked by our engineers.
2018-8-26
Use props
SteveWX
New
United Kingdom

Calebhoskins Posted at 2018-8-23 05:04
If you read the thread, you'll understand that I CANNOT calibrate the gimbal nor read any error messages in the app because it WILL NOT power on long enough to connect to the app or even create a wifi connection to my phone.

A month or so ago, something very similar.  I even sent my camera to an official DJI centre in the south of England.  They told me there was nothing wrong.

Some Googling later and I found a post somewhere.  As far fetched as it sounds - with 6 fully charged batteries and none working.  Somebody suggested sticking some tape to the battery.  It worked!

So look at the end of the battery with the contacts.
OPPOSITE side to the contacts there is a longer edge that is curved.  Cut 2 pieces of insulation tape or sellotape that are no wider than the flat part and about 1cm to 1/2inch long and stick them at the contact end of the battery.  The article I found said you may need three, but it would depend on the thickness of the tape used.

I know it sounds far fetched, but ALL of my 6 batteries now work.  I would also wipe the contacts of the battery and inside of the handset with a clean cloth.

NOTE:  Don't place more tape than you need as the battery could jam in the handle.

And you don't get this advice from any DJI staff.  Just send it back, are you sure the battery is charged, upgrade the firmware, it's something you are doing.  Plenty of people have the same problem, but DJI refuse to see the pattern.

I've attached a photo of a pair of my batteries.  The tape is black and two layers thick.  It shows where to attach.  And you can see it peeling, but the batteries have had a lot of use since the fix.

But this actually worked for myself and others.

Good luck.
2018-8-28
Use props
PrunoMars
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61368 ft
Australia

SteveWX Posted at 8-28 07:38
A month or so ago, something very similar.  I even sent my camera to an official DJI centre in the south of England.  They told me there was nothing wrong.

Some Googling later and I found a post somewhere.  As far fetched as it sounds - with 6 fully charged batteries and none working.  Somebody suggested sticking some tape to the battery.  It worked!

Thanks for sharing, I am having the same issue and have tried ALL the hacks I can find. This was a new one but it doesn't work for me :/
2018-11-7
Use props
Jeff Vallandingham
lvl.1

United States

so the tape on the battery does work as I'm having the same problem on all 4 DJI batteries on my Osmo. the Osmo would turn on then turn off after about 10 seconds, and then I put pressure on the battery towards the back of the handle from the bottom with the battery door open. I got no help from DJI as they just want you to send the device in and pay for servicing. I barely have used mine and have it in a case so this shouldn't be happening. the good news is the tape on one side of the battery works...DJI support, not so much.
2019-8-24
Use props
David Martin Graff
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd guess probably send it for service or take it back to the retailer where you purchased from?
2019-8-25
Use props
fans5a7e9648
lvl.1

hi
I have the same problem Osmo 2 lights up 1 sec and then shut down-
How do you access the batterie?
thanks
L.
2019-9-29
Use props
andy andy
New

OSMO Powers up briefly then shuts down

I have the same problem, anybody can help how to troubleshoot?
I charged the battery fully using portable DJI charger, battery plugged in, i turned power on and it powered on to green , blinked , gimbal can rotate but after that it turned to red and power lost.

What can i do?
2019-10-15
Use props
Mini M
lvl.4

Ireland

Good job...
2019-11-21
Use props
thachphong
lvl.1

Vietnam

SteveWX Posted at 2018-8-28 07:38

i will try it tomorow. thanks you so
2020-4-29
Use props
thachphong
lvl.1

Vietnam

dont runt thank yous
2020-4-29
Use props
Mrphotographer
lvl.1

United States

The tape worked after adjusting the position several times.

I am in the same boat with you other owners.  DJI must know there is a issue with this model and need to do something about it!
I am very unhappy with their level of service.
2020-10-6
Use props
Mrphotographer
lvl.1

United States

Mrphotographer Posted at 10-6 14:23
I am in the same boat with you other owners.  DJI must know there is a issue with this model and need to do something about it!
I am very unhappy with their level of service.

We pay to much money for this system to have to deal with this battery issue especially when we are using it and have paying clients.
2020-10-6
Use props
Ray Lamberth
New

United States

My DJI OSMO 3 Action Camera has wored well for about a year with a Sandisk 512 Extreme until recently.  Now, it doesn't recognize that the card is in the slot.  I purchased 2 additional 512 extreme cards and have same issue.  My GoPo Hero 10 Black recognizes them with no issue.  

Another issue that recently started is the camera turns off when plugged in to a power source.  

i've updated firmware which was no help.

Anyone else having these type of issues?
1-6 09:02
Use props
fans5fb994da
lvl.1

United States

Here's another data point. I was having a similar issue. Powered up for a few seconds and then shuts down. Until I removed the camera. THen the stick stays on. Put the camera back in, and it immediately shuts down. I've tried this on two sticks. But I will attempt to try the tape trick to see if that helps.
2-5 12:36
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Ray Lamberth Posted at 1-6 09:02
My DJI OSMO 3 Action Camera has wored well for about a year with a Sandisk 512 Extreme until recently.  Now, it doesn't recognize that the card is in the slot.  I purchased 2 additional 512 extreme cards and have same issue.  My GoPo Hero 10 Black recognizes them with no issue.  

Another issue that recently started is the camera turns off when plugged in to a power source.  

Hello, there. We're sorry to hear about this situation. If you're still experiencing this problem, it's recommended that you send the unit via this link for further testing and repair of your unit. We thank you for your cooperation and support.
2-6 03:10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans5fb994da Posted at 2-5 12:36
Here's another data point. I was having a similar issue. Powered up for a few seconds and then shuts down. Until I removed the camera. THen the stick stays on. Put the camera back in, and it immediately shuts down. I've tried this on two sticks. But I will attempt to try the tape trick to see if that helps.

Hello, there. We're sorry to hear about the problem. May I confirm the exact product model you have? You may also provide us with a short video showing the problem for further testing. I hope to hear from you soon.
2-6 03:15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules