Phantom 3 Standard VS Spark For Golf / Travel
1175 14 2018-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GTWCS14
lvl.1

Canada

Hi All,

New here and not totally new to drones but fresh to video/photo capture capable aircraft.  I'm not looking to exceed $1000 Canadian funds which limits me.  I'm looking to capture some of my golf travels through my competitive circuits I play on and travel experiences.  I understand the value of 4K but understand the limitation of my budget.  I have looked at the Phantom 3 Standard and the Spark.  I have looked through countless video reviews and editorials and find myself looking for more information from the non-funded user base opposed to those that review for monetary compensation based on reviews.

I understand that the P3 benefits from a 3 axis gimble and the Spark offers an upgraded camera sensor.  I'm not going to use this to capture far off distances but thus being said, I have concerns around wind.  Wondering if I can lean on the community for guidance.

Thanks for all of your help and thank you for your time
2018-8-22
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Welcome to the forum mate  
2018-8-22
Use props
GTWCS14
lvl.1

Canada

jacksonnai Posted at 2018-8-22 19:15
Welcome to the forum mate

Thanks for the welcome
2018-8-22
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26447 ft
Denmark

Well, for the price, spark takes good pictures..but if golfing, the battery time would hold tou back12 minuttes flighttime normally, so put in budget 1-2 more batteryes at least...
A nother now cheap drone that is cabable of fine pictures, the parrot bebop2, flies 22-25 minuttes on a charge, and price are seen down to as low as 230dollars.. Just a thought.
Both have pros and cons...
Maybe a 3.rd drone there are ao many out there
2018-8-22
Use props
GTWCS14
lvl.1

Canada

Joller79 DK Posted at 2018-8-22 20:08
Well, for the price, spark takes good pictures..but if golfing, the battery time would hold tou back12 minuttes flighttime normally, so put in budget 1-2 more batteryes at least...
A nother now cheap drone that is cabable of fine pictures, the parrot bebop2, flies 22-25 minuttes on a charge, and price are seen down to as low as 230dollars.. Just a thought.
Both have pros and cons...

Appreciate your response and suggestions!  I will take a look at the Parrot Bebop 2.  I was thinking with the Spark to take the flymore which provides 2 additional batteries.  
2018-8-22
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Denmark

GTWCS14 Posted at 2018-8-22 20:21
Appreciate your response and suggestions!  I will take a look at the Parrot Bebop 2.  I was thinking with the Spark to take the flymore which provides 2 additional batteries.

Ok,, just thought you dont wanne cary a controller with you also, it all ads up..
Short pro con.. Spark without controller, flies slow and short..bebop is fully open with only phone control.
Spark has no individual speed setting for tilt, speed, raising speed etc..bebop has..
Sparks has gimbal and smooth filming..bebop has build ind stabilizing in firmware, and is easily pushed and makes jello in footage.
Flighttime spark/bebop 12/22 minuttes.
Spark being 2-3 years newer device is more stable in hover then bebop, but not much.
Spark if trying to fly in NFZ it cannot.. Bebop just flyes where ever tou want
2018-8-22
Use props
GTWCS14
lvl.1

Canada

Joller79 DK Posted at 2018-8-22 20:32
Ok,, just thought you dont wanne cary a controller with you also, it all ads up..
Short pro con.. Spark without controller, flies slow and short..bebop is fully open with only phone control.
Spark has no individual speed setting for tilt, speed, raising speed etc..bebop has..

Definitely good pro's for each device.  Appreciate you input and intention is to run a controller on the spark.
2018-8-22
Use props
Joller79 DK
lvl.4
Denmark

GTWCS14 Posted at 2018-8-22 20:41
Definitely good pro's for each device.  Appreciate you input and intention is to run a controller on the spark.

No problem that why we have this forum, to help out, any other questions just ask.
2018-8-22
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

GTWCS14 Posted at 2018-8-22 20:01
Thanks for the welcome

You're welcome mate
2018-8-23
Use props
InTheReeds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347103 ft

If I were you I'd increase my budget $50 more and go with the Mavic Air.

Upgraded camera and gimbal, longer flight time, better wind resistance, as portable as a spark, and most importantly in my opinion has a redundant compass in case you encounter any interference.

2018-8-23
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

From a practical standpoint, you don't want to be carrying golf clubs and a P3S around at the same time...plus your personal luggage.  The Spark in the foam container it comes in with the More combo will fit in the large pocket of your golf club bag along with the RC.  And you can easily take it with you on the course.  Set up is quicker with the Spark, too...if you find yourself with no one behind you, you can set up in two minutes and be flying...get that great shot of the fairway and green surrounded by sand traps just in front of you.  I have both and although I love the 3 axis gimbal on the P3S, the size of it really limits taking it on vacation.  I can put all my Spark stuff easily in a carry-on backpack and still have room for my Kindle and other stuff that I like to have on the plane.  Also, when travelling, you have to consider how, for lack of a better word, "standoutish" you want to be.  Spark gives you a much lower profile...less obtrusive...less invasive to others who might not appreciate drones like we all do. I do like the idea of the Mavic Air, but I don't have one.
2018-8-23
Use props
GTWCS14
lvl.1

Canada

InTheReeds Posted at 2018-8-23 20:51
If I were you I'd increase my budget $50 more and go with the Mavic Air.

Upgraded camera and gimbal, longer flight time, better wind resistance, as portable as a spark, and most importantly in my opinion has a redundant compass in case you encounter any interference.

Agreed, I'm just looking at the extras that I need to purchase but your comment makes a lot of sense.  I do understand it's a small price to pay to avoid buyers remorse.  Appreciate your input.
2018-8-24
Use props
GTWCS14
lvl.1

Canada

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-8-23 20:56
From a practical standpoint, you don't want to be carrying golf clubs and a P3S around at the same time...plus your personal luggage.  The Spark in the foam container it comes in with the More combo will fit in the large pocket of your golf club bag along with the RC.  And you can easily take it with you on the course.  Set up is quicker with the Spark, too...if you find yourself with no one behind you, you can set up in two minutes and be flying...get that great shot of the fairway and green surrounded by sand traps just in front of you.  I have both and although I love the 3 axis gimbal on the P3S, the size of it really limits taking it on vacation.  I can put all my Spark stuff easily in a carry-on backpack and still have room for my Kindle and other stuff that I like to have on the plane.  Also, when travelling, you have to consider how, for lack of a better word, "standoutish" you want to be.  Spark gives you a much lower profile...less obtrusive...less invasive to others who might not appreciate drones like we all do. I do like the idea of the Mavic Air, but I don't have one.

How is the video quality between the two?
2018-8-24
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Video quality is in the eye of the beholder...and what you're going to use it for.  If all you're going to do is play it on your PC monitor or big screen TV, you'll probably not notice a difference between either drone...in my opinion.
2018-8-24
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

GTWCS14 Posted at 2018-8-24 06:19
How is the video quality between the two?

From the sounds of it I think you'd be much better off with a Mavic Air.  You can get the bundle package on Amazon for $800 and it comes with everything you need and the batteries are good for over 20 minutes of flight time (only comes with one but you can add a second one for $77).

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Quadc ... mavic+air&psc=1
2018-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules