Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Nikon z7 compatibel with Ronin-s?
12Next >
11812 51 2018-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PITS Paul
lvl.3

Hi,  the brandnew Nikon z7 was presented today. It seems like a fantastic mirrorless Nikon with superb video capabilities.  I am hesitating between the d850 or this new z7.  Will the z7 be fully compatible with the Ronin-S? It’s compatible with Atomos open protocol and has built-in in WiFi and Bluetooth for connectivity with any smart device so I ‘asume’ That it should be a problem to connect with my ronin-s? Finally a good mirrorless Nikon where I can use my Nikkor objectives!

Thanks for your quick reply, I would like to order ASAP!

2018-8-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Paul, thanks for your interest in Ronin-S,  the Ronin-S can be stabilized when being used with cameras that weigh less than 3.6 kg, with a width smaller than or equal to 205 mm, and a height less than or equal to 150 mm. However, some camera models may not be able to be controlled with the Ronin-S.
Nikon Z7 was just released and we may not have a chance to test it, your request will be forwarded to our engineers for attention, the list is being updated continuously.
2018-8-23
Use props
PITS Paul
lvl.3

Thanks, I hope this will be added to the list since this camera is ideal to use in combination with ronin-s.  Nikon says themselves that they maximised compatibility so it can easily be used with gimbals.  
2018-8-23
Use props
Jay R
lvl.1

FYI, I have the Z7 now, and if I plug it into my Z7 the camera becomes unusable.  The live view screen goes blank, and both the record and picture buttons on the camera become non functioning.  Using the infrared cable doesn't work either, although I tested my Nikon infrared remote, and that does work.  So 0 picture or video functions controlled by the Ronin-S.  Additionally the balance points put the Z7  up so close to the inside you can't access the XQD card while it is mounted, and you need slide it away to remove the Z7 from the Ronin S, you can't just use the mounting plate release,  due  to friction.
2018-10-2
Use props
dpfranz
New

I have the Z7 on the Ronon-s, and the screen is not going blank, and I can easily access the battery and XQD card. However, I can't get any connection to the camera to work - focus, shutter, nothing. App shows "Shutter cable not connected" on Checklist tab of Status page, but the Device List tab has a green check mark next to Shutter. Status light on gimbal focus knob is blinking red - no connection.

I can use the joystick, balance and calibrate the gimbal, etc., but no love for electronic control of Z7.
2018-10-10
Use props
fans19440c74
Flight distance : 668251 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just tried with my new Z7 and Ronin S. No go. Hopefully a firmware update soon? Please???
2018-10-13
Use props
fans033d7a6d
lvl.1
United States

My Nikon D800 has been a no go since launch. My Z7 is doing the same. DJI is really starting to lose my faith as a customer. They way over-promised (to the extent of lying) to the customers. They make good products, but they really need to bring themselves to a level of accountability that a market demands from a company on the international level. It's embarrassing, and I'm looking into other options.

The Ronin-S is not a new product anymore. It should be working AT LEAST as well as advertised at launch by now. The grace period of being new, and working out a few bugs is over. I paid money to own a product, not a beta test.
2018-10-14
Use props
fans19440c74
Flight distance : 668251 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans033d7a6d Posted at 2018-10-14 09:02
My Nikon D800 has been a no go since launch. My Z7 is doing the same. DJI is really starting to lose my faith as a customer. They way over-promised (to the extent of lying) to the customers. They make good products, but they really need to bring themselves to a level of accountability that a market demands from a company on the international level. It's embarrassing, and I'm looking into other options.

The Ronin-S is not a new product anymore. It should be working AT LEAST as well as advertised at launch by now. The grace period of being new, and working out a few bugs is over. I paid money to own a product, not a beta test.

Totally agree. I’ve spent about $14k with DJI over the years. Starting out with the DJI AceOne. They make awesome stuff, but love to dessert their customers. Lightbridge 1 for instance. They quit app support and make it a useless brick.

Anyway, let’s hope and pray they don’t do that for us Z7 owners. It’d be a sweet combination.
2018-10-14
Use props
Jay R
lvl.1

Really disappointed with DJI.  I just left the best local Camera Shop for Pros in my area.  They had a rep in from Zhiyun for a video event, and he had the new Zhiyun Crane 3 Lab. The unit he had,worked with the Z7, and pulled focus on the kit lens 24-70 f4 S.  It also was much lighter than my Ronin-S.

I bought the Ronin S because 2 cameras I own were on the compatibility list, they no longer are.  I have had the Z7 for almost 3 weeks, and no functions at all even with the infrared adapter plugged in.  I might as well use a steady cam with the the Z7.  DJI needs to update their advertising, as it is currently very false.  Still can't start stop video with D500, D7100, D810.  Just sold my D810 for my Z7, and find that I am never using my Ronin-S as I can't use it for any of the things I originally purchased it for (pano, motion-lapse, and video control).

I'm giving DJI until the end of the month to fix this, otherwise I'm selling my Ronin-S and ordering the new smaller lighter option, that I already saw work with the Z7.
2018-10-16
Use props
fans033d7a6d
lvl.1
United States

Jay R Posted at 2018-10-16 12:54
Really disappointed with DJI.  I just left the best local Camera Shop for Pros in my area.  They had a rep in from Zhiyun for a video event, and he had the new Zhiyun Crane 3 Lab. The unit he had,worked with the Z7, and pulled focus on the kit lens 24-70 f4 S.  It also was much lighter than my Ronin-S.

I bought the Ronin S because 2 cameras I own were on the compatibility list, they no longer are.  I have had the Z7 for almost 3 weeks, and no functions at all even with the infrared adapter plugged in.  I might as well use a steady cam with the the Z7.  DJI needs to update their advertising, as it is currently very false.  Still can't start stop video with D500, D7100, D810.  Just sold my D810 for my Z7, and find that I am never using my Ronin-S as I can't use it for any of the things I originally purchased it for (pano, motion-lapse, and video control).

Thanks for the heads up about testing the Zhiyun. That sounds like a pretty great combo. I like the form factor on that too. I've never purchased from them, so I'm not sure how they are at support, but I imagine it doesn't take much to do better than DJI.
2018-10-17
Use props
cameracorner
New

Since yesterday i have the ronin s and am sobered after i tested my Nikon z7 with it. No control possibility... DJI please help to secure my invest.
2018-10-20
Use props
Nubihar
lvl.1
Georgia

The Z7 hasn’t even been on the market for a month yet so I’m not surprised it’s not compatible with the shutter release functions and focus wheel yet. However, please note that I said YET. The Z6 is coming soon too so given the number of sales of the Z7 which is going to be eclipsed by far by the Z6 it really would be in DJI’s interest to start working on this issue ASAP. Otherwise, yes, I can see a LOT of people waiting and going to the Crane 3. It’s a pity that we can’t have an announcement from DJI on what cameras are going to be included in the various firmware updates we DO EXPECT in the very near future.
2018-10-21
Use props
Nubihar
lvl.1
Georgia

Nubihar Posted at 2018-10-21 02:07
The Z7 hasn’t even been on the market for a month yet so I’m not surprised it’s not compatible with the shutter release functions and focus wheel yet. However, please note that I said YET. The Z6 is coming soon too so given the number of sales of the Z7 which is going to be eclipsed by far by the Z6 it really would be in DJI’s interest to start working on this issue ASAP. Otherwise, yes, I can see a LOT of people waiting and going to the Crane 3. It’s a pity that we can’t have an announcement from DJI on what cameras are going to be included in the various firmware updates we DO EXPECT in the very near future.

Incidentally, I picked up my Z7 two days ago and it is a great video camera indeed. I'm sure a lot of Nikon shooters will get either the Z6 or Z7 for that purpose and I'm sure a lot of new Nikon users will emerge too. Used on my Ronin-S yesterday and the lack of a video start/stop on the gimbal is a real inconvenience. If other gimbals support the Z6/7 seems obvious DJI are going to lose a lot of potential customers.
2018-10-21
Use props
WernerD
Captain
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Same here. I will not buy the Ronin-S unless it supports the Nikon Z6.
2018-10-22
Use props
ToscanaDrone
Captain
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I have the D850 and it works very well with the Ronin-S. In a few days I will get the new Nikon Z7, much more powerful video side and I'd like DJI to update its firmware to make it 100% compatible.
It would be a fantastic couple !!!
2018-10-22
Use props
Leonardo Dale
lvl.1

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-23 01:50
Hi Paul, thanks for your interest in Ronin-S,  the Ronin-S can be stabilized when being used with cameras that weigh less than 3.6 kg, with a width smaller than or equal to 205 mm, and a height less than or equal to 150 mm. However, some camera models may not be able to be controlled with the Ronin-S.
Nikon Z7 was just released and we may not have a chance to test it, your request will be forwarded to our engineers for attention, the list is being updated continuously.

Please, the Z7 is not working on it yet.   Any updates??
Thanks
2018-10-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi all, your request has been transferred to our engineers for attention and further test, please note the compatible list upgrade in our website, thank you.
2018-10-26
Use props
zbie
lvl.1
United States

I've visited this thread dozens of times in the last few weeks. Each time I'm hopeful there will be some good news. Instead, each time I'm disappointed. I think I overpaid for an inferior paper weight on my desk. It would be great to get some support for the Nikon Z7. I have $5,000 tied up in a video system (Z7 and Ronin S) that isn't functional. I wanted to stick with the DJI ecosystem (Inspire 2/X5s and Osmo Mobile 2), but I'm quickly considering alternatives for a gimbal that actually works with my full frame cameras.

Now that my rant is over, can anyone offer an updated timeline for Z7 support? I'd be willing to wait a short time, but if it's too far out or not even on the roadmap then I'll be posting this for sale.
2018-11-2
Use props
ToscanaDrone
Captain
Flight distance : 13833304 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Any news about Ronin-S/Nikon Z compatibility?
2018-11-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ToscanaDrone Posted at 11-12 13:56
Any news about Ronin-S/Nikon Z compatibility?

Hi ToscanaDrone, the compatibility of Nikon Z7 with Ronin-S is still under testing by our engineers, if there is any update, we will release in our website immediately, appreciate your patience.
2018-11-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

zbie Posted at 11-2 11:27
I've visited this thread dozens of times in the last few weeks. Each time I'm hopeful there will be some good news. Instead, each time I'm disappointed. I think I overpaid for an inferior paper weight on my desk. It would be great to get some support for the Nikon Z7. I have $5,000 tied up in a video system (Z7 and Ronin S) that isn't functional. I wanted to stick with the DJI ecosystem (Inspire 2/X5s and Osmo Mobile 2), but I'm quickly considering alternatives for a gimbal that actually works with my full frame cameras.

Now that my rant is over, can anyone offer an updated timeline for Z7 support? I'd be willing to wait a short time, but if it's too far out or not even on the roadmap then I'll be posting this for sale.

Hi zbie, we understand your frustration and sincerely apologize for the trouble caused, the compatibility with Nikon Z7 is still testing, the firmware will be released very soon, thanks for your patience.
2018-11-13
Use props
pedjazik
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33 ft
Turkey

I can not believe that you still did not release update to make Ronin-S compatible with Nikon Z7.
I also have few Nikon D750 for which you mentioned that Ronin-S will be compatible with but once you released it it did not?!
Really disappointing, it looks like you released something but you were far away from being ready to release it.
Please release update to make it compatible with Nikon Z7, I am in same problem as zbie, having thousand money invested in something which don't work...

Please soon!
2018-11-18
Use props
DJI-Paul
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Should be today or tomorrow but why does everyone feel entitled to have a camera that was launched after the Ronin-S without the camera even being listed on the camera compatibility page to be made compatible?
2018-11-18
Use props
pedjazi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33 ft
Serbia

DJI-Paul Posted at 11-18 20:50
Should be today or tomorrow but why does everyone feel entitled to have a camera that was launched after the Ronin-S without the camera even being listed on the camera compatibility page to be made compatible?

Well they had D750 listed and after that they just deleted it from list...

And if you keep only few cameras from each brand, those with best video capabilities, then it would be logic thing to do to put Nikon Z7 on that list as well, at least I hope they will do that  
2018-11-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

pedjazik Posted at 11-18 14:21
I can not believe that you still did not release update to make Ronin-S compatible with Nikon Z7.
I also have few Nikon D750 for which you mentioned that Ronin-S will be compatible with but once you released it it did not?!
Really disappointing, it looks like you released something but you were far away from being ready to release it.

Hi there, Nikon Z7 is compatible with Ronin-S, please update to the latest firmware v1.6.0.50, thanks for your patience.
2018-11-19
Use props
thomasschreiner
lvl.1
Austria

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-19 03:13
Hi there, Nikon Z7 is compatible with Ronin-S, please update to the latest firmware v1.6.0.50, thanks for your patience.

Hello.
I've installed the Update and first of all it looked like everything was working.
But you can only pull focus in photo mode. When you switch the lever on the camera to video it doesn't work anymore.
Start and stop recording is still possible.

Best Regards
Thomas
2018-11-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

thomasschreiner Posted at 11-20 14:19
Hello.
I've installed the Update and first of all it looked like everything was working.
But you can only pull focus in photo mode. When you switch the lever on the camera to video it doesn't work anymore.

Thomas, thanks for your feedback, please check the screenshot below to make sure the settings are correct, if the issue persists, could you please provide us the firmware version of your camera and a sample video? Thank you in advance. GTScreenshot_20181121_153638.png
2018-11-20
Use props
djiuser_yytZkA7vEoTu
lvl.1
United States

Will the Nikon Z6 be added to the compatibility list any time soon?
2018-11-21
Use props
thomasschreiner
lvl.1
Austria

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-20 23:38
Thomas, thanks for your feedback, please check the screenshot below to make sure the settings are correct, if the issue persists, could you please provide us the firmware version of your camera and a sample video? Thank you in advance.[view_image]

On the Nikkor Z 35mm you can just toggle between A and M. Only a few professional AF-S lenses have the option to chose between A/M, M/A and M.

I tested now all possible settings and discovered that the Z lens has to be switched to A and the Camera AF mode has to be AF-S or AF-C.
If you set the camera to the default AF-F mode with full time AF the Ronin-S Focus knob doesn't work.
However it's still possible to override focus on the camera directly.

Also I would like to mention that the focusing is very inaccurate and fast compared to the electronic focus ring on the lens.
The lens also makes a strange noise that you can also hear in the recorded video. This doesn't happen with AF and manual focus on camera.
Further on I would like to tell you that if you turn the Ronin-S knob really slow to position focus exactly it doesn't do anything. Just sometimes the lens makes a "klick" noise and moves focus a bit.

Right now I'm using firmware version 1.00 on my Z7. Tomorrow i will upgrade to 1.01 + 1.02 and test it again.
Best regards
Thomas
2018-11-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

thomasschreiner Posted at 11-21 14:08
On the Nikkor Z 35mm you can just toggle between A and M. Only a few professional AF-S lenses have the option to chose between A/M, M/A and M.

I tested now all possible settings and discovered that the Z lens has to be switched to A and the Camera AF mode has to be AF-S or AF-C.

Hi Thomas, thanks for your feedback, it is recommended to update the firmware of Nikon Z7 to V1.01 to try again, if there is any further issue, please keep us updated.
2018-11-22
Use props
djiuser_yytZkA7vEoTu
lvl.1
United States

Will the Nikon Z6 be fully functional like the Z7?
2018-11-23
Use props
Jay R
lvl.1
United States

What about Firmware 1.02

I had updated my firmware to 1.02 before realizing that you had made this compatible finally.

I have no control of my camera from the Ronin-S, and I updated the firmware on the ronin before trying it.

I have the live view screen, but I can't take pictures, nor can I shoot any video with it, from the camera, or using the Ronin S controls.  No focus control on the 24-70 S line lens either.
2018-11-26
Use props
djiuser_yytZkA7vEoTu
lvl.1
United States

I have a Nikon z6 which they do not show as compatible but is very similar to the Z7 and get no no response from the Ronin S either.  Camera does not even recogize it.  Updated to latest firmware as of yesterday.

DJI should absolutely get the compatibility for both the Z7 and Z6 working soon.  These are new Nikon cameras with great video specs.
2018-11-30
Use props
djiuser_yytZkA7vEoTu
lvl.1
United States

Any updates DJI? Working on compatibility for Nikon z6?
2018-12-4
Use props
zbie
lvl.1
United States

I just checked back on this thread and I see some support for Z7. I'm excited to update firmware this evening and see how it works!

I've been navigating to the Ronin S page: https://www.dji.com/ronin-s
Clicking FAQ
Expanding #1 under Compatibility and Connectivity
And launching that compatibility list: https://docs.djicdn.com/Products ... patibility_List.pdf

This shows a date of 9/20. I assume this link is just being missed when the real list has been updated. I wanted to bring this to your attention. That's where I've been looking for updates so I didn't see that my camera is listed now.

Thanks again!
2018-12-10
Use props
WernerD
Captain
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Question about follow focus: I just checked and all recent Nikon cameras, including Z7/Z6, support moving the focus motor via commands on the USB connection. Proof point: Liveview in Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 supports a feature called "Adjust Focus". This moves the focus motor.

Does the Ronin-S support follow focus without an external focus motor?
The answer is yes, as at the Nikon line it says 'Pull focus electronically'. Correct?
2018-12-11
Use props
Bradlee Morrow
New

Australia

Just bought a ronin-s i will be very disappointed if they don't bring out new firmware for the z6
2018-12-22
Use props
fansdf50142f
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bradlee Morrow Posted at 12-22 20:36
Just bought a ronin-s i will be very disappointed if they don't bring out new firmware for the z6

I am assured by DJI that Z6 support is coming and it should not be long to wait.

Also just a point of note that pull focus via usb will never be as responsive to different speeds of wheel movement as using the focus motor
2018-12-23
Use props
phili76
Austria

maybe they just have to enable the recognition of the Z6 in the firmware. I would also try a beta if DJI would need some feedback. Another reason which came into my mind could be that Nikon also has to release a firmware update.
Please get it working.
thanks
philipp
2018-12-26
Use props
eliptus2018
lvl.1

Australia

Come on DJI if the Nikon Z7 is partially operating can you not include the Z6...... especially because it is the better camera for video of the two. Also it might be great if you updated the Ronin S page to tell us more about whats going on. Please get the focus and shutter control on the Z cameras working.
2018-12-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules