New Nikon z7 compatibel with Ronin-s?
11878 51 2018-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse3d398e2
lvl.1

Australia

eliptus2018 Posted at 2018-12-26 14:10
Come on DJI if the Nikon Z7 is partially operating can you not include the Z6...... especially because it is the better camera for video of the two. Also it might be great if you updated the Ronin S page to tell us more about whats going on. Please get the focus and shutter control on the Z cameras working.

I have both Nikon Z7 (24-70mm Z mount lens) and a DJI Ronin S.
To have it to work together, you need to update the firmware on both Z7 and Ronin S.

Z7 1.0.2
Z7 Lens 1.0.0
Ronin S 1.7.0.60

as of 1 Feb 2019.

However, the Focus Wheel does not work no matter what setting I have. There are a combination of things.

1. M or A on Lens (there is no M/A setting on Z mount lens), instruction says M/A
2. CAN or S BUS on the Focus Wheel itself, according to instruction - should be CAN
3. Focus Mode on Z7 (there are Manuel, Auto-S and Auto-C), instruction says Auto
4. USB-C cable or USB-B cable on Ronin, instruction says USB-C

I have a solid Green Light on the Focus Wheel indicating it is communicating well with the camera, but it is NOT working.
I am in the process of working it out with DJI, but response is slow. Hope anyone could offer more help.

Regards
ML
2019-2-1
Use props
jpkrebs
lvl.1
France

fanse3d398e2 Posted at 2-1 20:37
I have both Nikon Z7 (24-70mm Z mount lens) and a DJI Ronin S.
To have it to work together, you need to update the firmware on both Z7 and Ronin S.

I purchased the Ronin S because the guys representing DJI in Germany told me over the phone that the button RECORD ON/OFF was working. But it is not.
Firmware Z7 1.0.2
Firmware Z7 Lens 1.0.0
Firmware Ronin S 1.7.0.60 (downloaded FEB 17, 2019)
Sorry to say that the Z7 is not even partially operating. There is only one improvement with the new firmware: I have the live view screen of the camera that works. But shooting is impossible, not via the Ronin S, not even by pressing on the record button of the camera.
2019-2-18
Use props
Dnorton
lvl.2
Ireland

jpkrebs@gmail.com Posted at 2-18 02:56
I purchased the Ronin S because the guys representing DJI in Germany told me over the phone that the button RECORD ON/OFF was working. But it is not.
Firmware Z7 1.0.2
Firmware Z7 Lens 1.0.0

Time for ALL Nikon owners of the Ronin s to DEMAND OUR MONEY BACK
2019-2-21
Use props
Erikdsn
lvl.1
United States

I’m in the same boat as everyone here.

There’s a strange lack of videos, tutorials etc. showing people using the Z7 with the Ronin S, and this thread is really the only thing I’ve found online with any information, so I guess it doesn’t work, which is a real bummer. The things that it does do, it seems to do really well, and I have a Mavic Pro which is an awesome piece of equipment...

So, my question is for the forum moderator if there is one: Is there an eta to get the Ronin S working with the Z7? How low is this on the priority list?

Thanks.
2019-2-21
Use props
Erikdsn
lvl.1
United States

Erikdsn Posted at 2-21 20:48
I’m in the same boat as everyone here.

There’s a strange lack of videos, tutorials etc. showing people using the Z7 with the Ronin S, and this thread is really the only thing I’ve found online with any information, so I guess it doesn’t work, which is a real bummer. The things that it does do, it seems to do really well, and I have a Mavic Pro which is an awesome piece of equipment...

I solved the connection “issue”… the cord wasn’t all the way plugged in. I saw someone mention a green indicator light and noticed mine was red, so I checked the connnection and it had a little more to go until it ‘clicked’ into place. So now it works!

BUT… now I have a new problem, the focus wheel is way too sensitive. I’ve seen others complain about the same issue and have yet to see mention of a fix.

I’m going to keep trying to find a solution, considering how my last problem was pretty basic user error ☺️
2019-2-23
Use props
HaraldL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1042635 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I bought a Ronin S today for my Z7 with NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S. Out of the box, the record button and the focus pull wheel did not work at all. So, it was time to check for firmware updates.

1. First of all, I installed the software: DJI Pro Assistant For Ronin on my MAC
2. I connected the Ronin S, with the supplied USB-C/USB-B cable, to my MAC and started DJI Pro Assistant For Ronin
3. I logged in with my DJI-account

My MAC did see my Ronin S instantly and reported a few versions of available Firmware Upgrades.

4. I installed the firmware 1.7.060 version (took only a few minutes).

I checked the Nikon website if there were any firmware updates for my Z7 and downloaded and installed the latest version (“C” Firmware Version 1.03)

After above steps everything works great! Focus Pull wheel works although it makes a little sound when I use it. I did not tested yet if I can hear this sound in my recordings. Also the record button on the Ronin S works like a charm.

- Nikon: in film record mode, AF-C
- Ronin S: switch (bottom of Zoom wheel) in S-BUS position

I'm happy now! I hope you guys will resolve your problems with the above steps.
2019-2-28
Use props
jpkrebs
lvl.1
France

HaraldL Posted at 2-28 16:21
I bought a Ronin S today for my Z7 with NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S. Out of the box, the record button and the focus pull wheel did not work at all. So, it was time to check for firmware updates.

1. First of all, I installed the software: DJI Pro Assistant For Ronin on my MAC

Great news ! I did the same steps than yours without results but now will try mine with the Nikon firmware 1.0.3 for the Z7 that was not yet available a couple of days ago.
2019-3-1
Use props
jpkrebs
lvl.1
France

HaraldL Posted at 2-28 16:21

1. First of all, I installed the software: DJI Pro Assistant For Ronin on my MAC

Well you must be sort of a magician or my Ronin S is out of order. It does not work more than before ;(
2019-3-1
Use props
HaraldL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1042635 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I just noticed my pull focus did not work (red led near Focus Wheel).

I found out you need to hook up your Z7 (MCC-C cable) and put your Z7 ON prior to power on the Gimbal.

Hope this works for you guys with trouble to get it to work...
2019-3-2
Use props
fanse4a1eeec
lvl.2
Czechia

For all Nikonist all over the world,

I have just found this device for remote controlling of Nikon Z6 and Z7 on drones.
Control of Aperture / Speed / ISO / photo / video.
It can also manually focusing!

This will finally make Nikons great for drone use...

Check that on youtube

2019-3-29
Use props
djiuser_8l4vabwqeGmG
New

Colombia

I own a nikon z7 with 24 70 f2.8 z mount nikor lens.
Ii also have ftz adapter and prime lenses in 35 50 85 and 105 mm
I want a ronin, is it now compatible? I have found a lot of different reviews about it.
2019-8-23
Use props
ricphoto-S
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_8l4vabwqeGmG Posted at 8-23 06:30
I own a nikon z7 with 24 70 f2.8 z mount nikor lens.
Ii also have ftz adapter and prime lenses in 35 50 85 and 105 mm
I want a ronin, is it now compatible? I have found a lot of different reviews about it.

I have the Z7 w/ 24-70/4 and it works just fine (so far ;-)...took a bit to balance on the SC (I also have an "M" and a "S"...Z and lens work on both and are easier/quicker to set up)

24-70Z works but feels a bit clunky on the S and SC...it's extendable nature is a pain as it calls for a rebalance with even the slightest focal length change...also feels like its at the limit of the SC capacity...24-70/2.8 works better on "S" but not on SC...just ordered the 35/1.8Z to try as all of my other primes are Zeiss manual focus and I wanted to keep face/eye detect...
2019-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules