Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 1 Inverted Flight
12345Next >
10688 169 2015-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

Here is what I believe to be the first footage from an inverted Inspire 1. Spoiler alert - This doesn't end well.

2015-5-27
Use props
Goodwill
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

That is crazy. Which part of Canada are you located in?
2015-5-27
Use props
PureSQNut
Second Officer

United States

Really....  WTH....  I wanted to see an impact shot!!!!  lol

Really does suck. But all that work in the video and they obviously retrieved the card, I wanted to see what was left of it.  

Get ready, Get Ready, Get Ready and...........  were done!   .,....

Yeah I own an inspire and if that happened and took the time to show all of that and put it together I would show whats left, the impact site etc...

Now comes the bad guy......

With the feelings of I1 owners and the investments we make in buying the I1 any of us would be pissed if this was our first flight and it crashed and would show where it landed and the rubble that was left if anything to make a point to DJI.

Also aero dynamics of the I1 vs hardwarre design vs gravity says that even if falling there isnt enough controlled stable friction in the design against the wind to keep it as stable as it was going upside down in the fall...  just not sure about this.
2015-5-27
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

Wow!  I am almost speechless.  Firstly, I am very sorry for your loss.  Secondly, DJI now needs to make some kind of statement on all these fly aways before someone gets seriously injured or even killed.  They cannot hide behind thier silence any longer.  After watching this, I am seriously considering grounding my Inspire until a satisfactory explanation can be provided or a fix be offered.
I am doubtful of the latter because I have yet to see DJI even admit there is a problem.  Let me tell you that an almost 3kg bird dropping close to terminal velocity has a kinectic energy of over 4300 Joules.  This is very capeable of killing someone or something.
Thanks for sharing this with us and I am just thankful you or nobody else was hurt.

Jason
2015-5-27
Use props
f1
lvl.3

Japan

Sorry that this happened to you.  

At the 4:05 point in video where you mention  "The Inspire breaks all communication."  Am I correct in understanding that the screen on your tablet went black, and you lost FPV video?

What type of tablet were you using?

Would it be possible for you to post a video if the playback screen with the stick positions displayed?  
2015-5-27
Use props
Goodwill
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Did you do an IMU calibration before flying it? I remember you saying it was it's maiden flight, so I'm wondering if you did do a calibration and if so did you do it on location?
2015-5-27
Use props
howie121218
lvl.4

United States

Feel very sorry for your loss first, it was really scary to watch this video, any i1 owner really want to fly it anymore? Thank god my was happened fly away just when it took off, so I stopped it and packaged send it back to DJI without any damage. However, the point is if there's no pilot error,and check all the list before taking off, and it fly like a dream, and suddenly it is out of control, might falling on people, might damage things, who's gonna take those responsibilities . I mean how much do all the il owner have the confidence when you hear all these shits happened?
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

Exactly. It wasn't like I was a mile away and 1000 ft up or something. That's why I wanted to show the whole video so people can see that it was being operated in a proper manner in perfect conditions. I;ve flown lots of things including large variable pitch helps and tons of planes. I've never encountered anything even remote to how dangerous this was. I really want the Inspire but I may be too scared of this happening again but maybe next time, it might hurt someone which is something I wouldn't want to live with.
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

f1@frankschaffe Posted at 2015-5-28 01:19
Sorry that this happened to you.  

At the 4:05 point in video where you mention  "The Inspire break ...

I was using an iPhone 6. I don't have a playback app. Screen goes black and says no signal, controller light turn red, no RTH button beeping or flashing, controls do nothing. Tried turning the controller on and off but still met with the same no connection.
2015-5-27
Use props
dbeck
Second Officer

United States

Goodwill Posted at 2015-5-28 01:40
Did you do an IMU calibration before flying it? I remember you saying it was it's maiden flight, so  ...

I guess you missed the screen legend at about 1;34 where he indicates that he did all the calibrations??DUH
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

Goodwill Posted at 2015-5-28 01:40
Did you do an IMU calibration before flying it? I remember you saying it was it's maiden flight, so  ...

Yes, did the IMU calibration at the location. Checked to check IMU and it said it was done. Compass was calibrated as well. I did all my homework.
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-5-28 01:09
Really....  WTH....  I wanted to see an impact shot!!!!  lol

Really does suck. But all that work in ...

I knew this question would come up. Where's the wreckage? I didn't take a pic of the landing site as it had landed in someones backyard right in the middle of their garden. I already felt bad that I had to go knock on their door during dinner time and ask them to let me into their yard so I could collect my toy that I had inadvertently flown over their fence. I tried to make it look like an honest accident opposed to an incident that could have damaged them or their property. I collected the pieces, apologized profusely for wrecking a bunch of their flowers (offering to pay for the damages) and getting out of there.I should have stated that the I1 was right side up when I retrieved it and surprisingly the only physical damage was a broken prop, battery and the camera was ripped off. The inverted footage is the real deal. I attached the camera back on just to see if it was possible for the gimbal to shoot upside down and it isn't. I know in hindsight, I really should have taken a picture, but in the heat of the moment, I was just happy to have something back from the heavens and that It didn't hurt anyone.
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

Goodwill Posted at 2015-5-28 01:08
That is crazy. Which part of Canada are you located in?

Surrey, you?
2015-5-27
Use props
f1
lvl.3

Japan

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 02:02
I was using an iPhone 6. I don't have a playback app. Screen goes black and says no signal, contro ...

I understand, I wonder if you could video it with your phone.  

Your event is the most disturbing one I've seen.  

When you watch the playback, right before it drops link do the battery, altitude and speed readings look OK?

Thanks for all your effort documenting this.  You obviously went to a lot of trouble.  Most of these that i have seem left me with some questions about operator error, but your's seems irrefutable.  

Really sorry this happened to you.
2015-5-27
Use props
Goodwill
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Me too, I thought where you were shooting looked familiar lol.
2015-5-27
Use props
Goodwill
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Have you sent it to DJI already?
2015-5-27
Use props
3dflight
lvl.1

United States

I'm sorry.  This is insane.  There is clearly something seriously wrong w/ some/all? inspires.  Please be careful!  It's only a matter of time until someone get's seriously hurt by one of these.  It's a shame becuase the platform/aircraft had so much potential.  I'd be seriously considering grounding until a word from DJI about what is causing this.
2015-5-27
Use props
Marcus.Bienek
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6480 ft
Germany

Goodwill Posted at 2015-5-28 02:33
Have you sent it to DJI already?

OH Holly Sh.t.
That´s really scary.
Which FW Version had the Inspire ?
2015-5-27
Use props
PureSQNut
Second Officer

United States

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 02:15
I knew this question would come up. Where's the wreckage? I didn't take a pic of the landing site  ...

I can respect that. Not trying to challenge this please understand some of the physics and as we have seen there has been way to many instances where some of the stuff we see on the internet is nothing more than propaganda (not saying this was) but one of my engineers here started in on the physics end of things with the shape, design, physics of wind flow etc and not seeing the  wreckage raised some questions.

As a fellow I1 owner sorry to see this happen, especially on the first flight. I hope DJI is able to help with this. Since you got your bird back and obviously the memory card by chance were you able to recover the flight data info?
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

f1@frankschaffe Posted at 2015-5-28 02:19
I understand, I wonder if you could video it with your phone.  

Your event is the most disturbing ...

Sorry, was just having quick glances at the screen. I was only flying 30m around me so it was mainly line of sight. Before take off, I had acquired 16 satellites for the GPS not that it matters as the controller itself lost signal and connection.
2015-5-27
Use props
ArmyScout
lvl.1

United States

Any photos of the damage?
2015-5-27
Use props
PureSQNut
Second Officer

United States

jnorthcott Posted at 2015-5-28 03:13
Irresponsible,  Dangerous and outright Stupid,

It never ceases to amaze me, how stupid people are.  ...

If this was a product related issue how is this "Irresponsible and outright Stupid"?

If he did this intentionally and its faked then I could see it. But if it was a fly away im not seeing your claim.

Dangerous, yes either was as yes it could drop on somebodies head and could kill somebody.

Flying around an empty baseball park....  not dangerous at all.....

I think you need to watch the entire video and take a moment of pause.

Considering you just registered I am wondering if you have your own set of issues with quad copters as a whole as you appear to be satisfied and in agreeance to local laws up there banning flight in parts of Canada. Which I am unfamiliar with Canadian laws with so I have no clue if thats even true.

To be honest your post seems to be more personaly motivated and nothing more than a personal attack. If you are in any way trying to get onto this forum you truly going about it the wrong way.
2015-5-27
Use props
f1
lvl.3

Japan

chowtime Posted at 2015-5-28 02:59
Sorry, was just having quick glances at the screen. I was only flying 30m around me so it was main ...

Since this happened to you first day out, I  can understand that you might not have had a chance to explore the app.   But if you open the App and tap "User Center" then tap the middle icon at the bottom of the page, you will see a log of your flight(s).Tapping the the last one in your case will bring up an map and flight track.  Also if you tap in the little transmitter icon, it will show your stick positions.  Then if you hit the play icon in the middle bottom, it will play back your flight, reading, and warnings.  If you could video record that as you play it back we could all see it.

2015-5-27
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I could be wrong but it looks like it looses a prop just prior to going inverted. Of course this doesn't account for the loss of control.
2015-5-27
Use props
HFI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's official, I'm not flying mine again until these issues are sorted out

Sorry for your lose chowtime

2015-5-27
Use props
3dflight
lvl.1

United States

I don't think Jnorthcott watched or understood what was happening in the video.  I "think" he assumed the OP purposefully flew inverted and it crashed while he was pulling the maneuver.  I "think".  Only explanation for the rant I can figure.  His words of caution regarding the potential for disaster ring true, but I think the reason the crash occurred is different from what he suspected.  Unless he's saying that the OP shouldn't have been flying in that location to begin with.  IDK...
2015-5-27
Use props
vishaltale
lvl.1
Flight distance : 678432 ft
India

i Feel very sorry for your loss.
2015-5-27
Use props
Acidsnow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

HOLY FREAKING CRAP.
2015-5-27
Use props
w1der
Second Officer

Sweden

This is probably what happened ...
The battery died (but there was enough in them to keep the camera recording for a bit longer) ... props stopped spinning and it just fell out of the sky ...

Thoughts of value ...
Who would be liable for braking the laws regarding height limits in this video (as the bird is on "auto pilot") ... The pilot or DJI ?

Just pure luck there wasn´t more damage done ...

Can somebody please tell me what is going on with this product ... !!!

2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

lethbrp Posted at 2015-5-28 03:51
I could be wrong but it looks like it looses a prop just prior to going inverted. Of course this doe ...

No, half the prop was broken on impact and laying beside the aircraft. I'm not entirely sure but I think that during the iPhone video of it falling, it looked like it was upright plus there was no visual damage to the canopy.
2015-5-27
Use props
3dflight
lvl.1

United States

w1der Posted at 2015-5-28 04:12
This is probably what happened ...
The battery died (but there was enough in them to keep the camer ...

Listen at the end when it's coming in for "hard landing" you can hear it buzzing.  It was still under power right into the ground.  Don't think the battery was dead at all.
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

Give me a break jnorthcott. No I am not stupid, in fact I do nothing to hide my identity. What kind of person thinks that someone would do this for fame? Really? I put this video out 1. to share with people that even if you think "it'll never happen to me, it can. 2.to gather any info from anyone to figure out what really happened. I'm sorry but I was not within 9 km from any airport, I was NOT flying above 90m that is until it took off, there were no people around, and I wasn't flying around buildings and ships like some other s do. This was a maiden flight from a brand new aircraft that had the latest firmware and all calibrations done. I'm sure you don't file a flight plan with Transport Canada if everytime you balanced your props and just put her up in an empty field to make sure everything good. It truly unfortunate that you can't except the video for what it is. I would be more than happy to talk to and work with Transport Canada on this issue. The stupid are the people that just take it out of the box and try to fly it. This is NOT the case. This is something I would not want to happen to anyone -  and that even includes you.
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

Also, the city of Richmond has not banned the use of all drones, but banned all rc aircraft and drones in any public parks or schools.
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

3dflight Posted at 2015-5-28 04:21
Listen at the end when it's coming in for "hard landing" you can hear it buzzing.  It was still un ...

It was definitely under power when it was falling. That's how I knew it was coming down. I was so excited and elated until I realized it wasn't slowing down.
2015-5-27
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

That is video is truly scary! It was like a total meltdown. I can't believe how high it went. That could have killed someone. What if the homeowner was out in the backyard and it hit-em. Once it lost its mind and got to altitude, it looks like the ESCs started to malfunction. You can notice how the craft was pitching back and forth because you can see the props in and out of the shots and then go inverted. Then it seems the bird was completely dead when it crashed to earth. I assume that is because it ran out of juice or just completely got fried.  Tahoe Ed you guys need to address this and respond to the forum members. We need to know if there is truly an issue or if this is a one off occurrence.

Silence is not acceptable for an issue like this!!!

Another question. Could it have been auto rotating? Could that have caused the buzzing sound?
2015-5-27
Use props
howie121218
lvl.4

United States

I took closer to watch your video, I kind confused that your bird inverted fly, it's more like something wrong with the camera. Did you lift the arms? if you did, it should not see the arms when the camera spinning, if you did not , when the camera was sniping, you can actually see the picture I captured from your video, the position of the legs does not look like upside down.

Capture.JPG
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

howie121218@gma Posted at 2015-5-28 04:53
I took closer to watch your video, I kind confused that your bird inverted fly, it's more like somet ...

when it crashed or landed very very hard, however you want to put it, The I1 was in landing mode so at sometime, it lowered it. Not sure when. I can only assume it was inverted because afterwards I looked at the camera and gimbal and it doesn't seem possible to film upside down. Your guess is as good as mine. I was bummed when that was the whole video file, not sure why the video stopped.
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

f1@frankschaffe Posted at 2015-5-28 03:34
Since this happened to you first day out, I  can understand that you might not have had a chance to ...

When I tap User Centre, all I get  are 3 icons. photos, Videos, my films and they all say 0.
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

Since this happened to you first day out, I  can understand that you might not have had a chance to ...

OK, found it. Didn't see the little icons.  Will try and get something recorded tonight.
2015-5-27
Use props
chowtime
lvl.1

Canada

OK, didn't see the little icons. Found it now. Will try and get something out tonight. Thanks for the info
2015-5-27
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules