Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will you "Trade Up"? - Poll
2384 36 2018-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Chirico
Captain
Flight distance : 769160 ft

After watching the conference livestreamed and hearing about the new "Trade Up/In" system, I thought to myself...why not? It reminded me of Gamestop where you trade in games for money or store credit. I think this is another great feature added to DJI.

So I have the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air. In time I'm thinking I will definitely want to trade in both for the Mavic2Pro or Mavic2Zoom, most likely the 2Pro OR the next best thing. Will you? If not, why?

Single SelectVote, Total 99 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

11.11% (11)
67.68% (67)
21.21% (21)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-8-23
Use props
STRIDE8
Captain
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I voted no because I can get more than the 300 they are offering for the MP by selling my entire flight kit (3 batteries, filters, car charger case) or if my MP crashes (Statefarm PAP)
2018-8-23
Use props
Michael_M
New
Flight distance : 115335 ft
United States

The value just isn't there. I looked up my "new" condition Platinum and got $398 as a quote. Granted I was forced to select Standard MP as Platinum wasn't a choice. They are selling refurbished for more than double what they are offering. Sweet revenue stream. Not so sweet when compared to value found on ebay for example.
2018-8-23
Use props
Mittens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1906 ft
United States

I just moved up from my P3S when it sank to a Spark, and then swapped form spark to MP because smoking deal.  I am good with my MP.
2018-8-23
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Captain

Michael_M Posted at 2018-8-23 09:01
The value just isn't there. I looked up my "new" condition Platinum and got $398 as a quote. Granted I was forced to select Standard MP as Platinum wasn't a choice. They are selling refurbished for more than double what they are offering. Sweet revenue stream. Not so sweet when compared to value found on ebay for example.

Wow that little in exchange? Had no idea! Definitely second guessing my initial thoughts now
2018-8-23
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Captain

STRIDE8 Posted at 2018-8-23 07:41
I voted no because I can get more than the 300 they are offering for the MP by selling my entire flight kit (3 batteries, filters, car charger case) or if my MP crashes (Statefarm PAP)

DEFINITELY sell it on your own terms then, for sure. Didn't know they bought it back for that price.
2018-8-23
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Captain
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>

1.  Costly,
2.  I like my MP,
3.  I don't want to be part of the R&D and end up with all sorts of growing pains.
2018-8-23
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I don't think I would trade up. If anything I will keep the MP and just purchase the new drone.
Just going to wait to make sure they got all the bugs out.
2018-8-23
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

No. I would sell my entire Mavic setup as a whole and get waaaay more for it.I am not going to sell though... I may end up with both in a year. Waiting for the reviews.
2018-8-24
Use props
Packer Backer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240948 ft
United States

While it is a bold step of DJI to have the trade up program you can sell it for more yourself. Just my 2 cents
2018-8-24
Use props
15matjan
Captain
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I voted no because, the business was for DJI when first sold my new drone(s). I have better options to get a much better price for my gear if and when decide to sell it. If really interested to help owners to renew their equipment, why not organize it on a bid / auction basis ?
For the moment M2 aren't much better than P4P in terms of image quality and having also a MA it gives me enough lightness to carry on. The few added effects can be obtained in post-editing or by trained flyers.

Really I was expecting for more in order to be impressed... Only x2 optical zoom with 12Mp 1/2,3'' sensor is something many cell phones today have available and expected more. As well as for the PRO: why not a 24 Mp camera with mecanical shutter ? Hasselblad had the know-how and tech to make it real...

Last but not least for many users, having to choose among two different but simultaneously launched models is painfully confusing and hard to decide...It may work as a marketing strategy to squeeze some to buy both versions...
2018-8-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

I voted no, I'm keeping mp trouble free MP and wanted to trade my P3A but $56 is a joke.
2018-8-24
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

In some ways it could be a "trade down". The new Mavic 2 Pro can't even film in Cinema 4K (even though the older ones can). Maybe they block it because 10bit recording on the SD card can't be achieved, but at least then open up for 8-bit recording in C4K.
2018-8-24
Use props
Brad Bilger
Captain
Flight distance : 14764163 ft

Apparently, I have the Honor (Honour) of having the best MP that ever came off the assembly line.  Flawless.  Running Latest Firmware, Latest app and the biggest problem that I've experienced has been replacing the USB Cable.  The only way that I would upgrade would be if my MP suddenly went down in a ball of flames.  And then it would be a while to save up again.  
2018-8-24
Use props
Flattman
Second Officer
United States

I voted no because I have a lot of learning to do in terms of flying my current Mavic Pro.  Zoom, side sensors, some speed and camera options aren't going to make me a better pilot or producer.
2018-8-24
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>

Not available in the UK!
2018-8-24
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I may trade up but will sell my MP directly since I can easily get much more for it that way.
2018-8-24
Use props
Duncandonut
Captain
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

There are 2 reasons as to why I won't be trading up.

1. Now that I have taken the plunge on a shiney new Mavic 2 Pro, it means that when I visit my parents my Dad can now fly my old Mavic Pro. Would love for him to get some enjoyment with it rather than sitting and just watching.

2. Once again this offer is not available in the UK or Europe. Seems like DJI only think that China and the USA are their only customers.
2018-8-24
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Voted no. If Dji product loose value like this on 2 years  it's not worth having new. Interesting to see P3S and P3A .
2018-8-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not available in the UK/Europe and wouldn't anyway looking at what they offer.
2018-8-24
Use props
Matthew Chirico
Captain

A CW Posted at 2018-8-24 09:41
Not available in the UK/Europe and wouldn't anyway looking at what they offer.

I hear ya!
2018-8-24
Use props
Appalachian Aerials
lvl.4
United States

I'll "trade up" in the sense that I'll try to sell my merchandise. I've got one Mavic Pro that mostly works (aside from a wonky gimbal that I'm going to send it in for in a week or two), and an old one that I crashed. I jumped the gun, thought it was totally broken, and had State Farm buy me a new one... it was only after the fact that I realized that the thing can be repaired for probably less than $100.

Either way, I'm thinking that if I can get $1000 - $1200 off of both drones (and the second one isn't in good condition, the body isn't broken but it has wicked scratches on it from the crash), I'd probably be willing to add on the extra cost to get the Mavic 2 Zoom. But it's a bit of a tough sell because I'll also have to start over on buying the accessories.

The trade-in deal through DJI sounds like total garbage.
2018-8-24
Use props
Appalachian Aerials
lvl.4
United States

STRIDE8 Posted at 2018-8-23 07:41

I really wish I had crashed mine. I already had one payout, and they were about to give me $1300 for what was more like a $1000 loss. I corrected them, but in the end, they dropped me anyways. No gratitude for me returning several hundred dollars that a lot of people would have just kept. I'd rather have crashed my second too, then I'd be most of the way there towards buying a Zoom.
EDIT: They dropped me, but only after a month after my crash.
2018-8-24
Use props
Tridiver
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>

Mittens Posted at 2018-8-23 09:21
I just moved up from my P3S when it sank to a Spark, and then swapped form spark to MP because smoking deal.  I am good with my MP.

may want to check this out!

2018-8-24
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Appalachian Aerials Posted at 2018-8-24 16:02
I'll "trade up" in the sense that I'll try to sell my merchandise. I've got one Mavic Pro that mostly works (aside from a wonky gimbal that I'm going to send it in for in a week or two), and an old one that I crashed. I jumped the gun, thought it was totally broken, and had State Farm buy me a new one... it was only after the fact that I realized that the thing can be repaired for probably less than $100.

Either way, I'm thinking that if I can get $1000 - $1200 off of both drones (and the second one isn't in good condition, the body isn't broken but it has wicked scratches on it from the crash), I'd probably be willing to add on the extra cost to get the Mavic 2 Zoom. But it's a bit of a tough sell because I'll also have to start over on buying the accessories.

How was the process of getting the check  from State farm ?  show them proof of purchase and ?
2018-8-24
Use props
Yflyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2030272 ft

I won't trade my Mavic Pro 'cause they will just offer you a few hundred dollars (maybe $200) for a 100% working drone. You'll get more money by selling it on Craigslist.
2018-8-24
Use props
Appalachian Aerials
lvl.4
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-24 17:48
How was the process of getting the check  from State farm ?  show them proof of purchase and ?

They didn't need proof of purchase (they needed that for insuring it), just proof of the crash (photos) and the serial number (to match against their records). It was real easy, and the guy almost gave me a full $1300 before I corrected him and lowered it (but still not to $760 for just the aircraft).

I wish I had taken the $1300, because they then dropped me a month later.
2018-8-24
Use props
ShadyDealer
First Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tempted by the MP2 but as recent buyer of a Mavic Air (just for great portability) I’m not sure I’ll get sufficient costs back on my Mavic Pro. Would still keep the Air mind.

Tempting..very tempting. 1” sensor alone a big plus!
2018-8-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2018-8-25
Use props
Mittens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1906 ft
United States

Tridiver Posted at 2018-8-24 16:58
may want to check this out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ieUcsHoKU&t=7s

Yea I actually have a Getterback on a 3d printed mount.  I just finished tweeking that design and need to take some photos and post them up in a thread.
2018-8-27
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

B1houdini Posted at 2018-8-23 11:32
I don't think I would trade up. If anything I will keep the MP and just purchase the new drone.
Just going to wait to make sure they got all the bugs out.

i totally agree B1, I am very satisfied with my MP
2018-8-28
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112123 ft
South Africa

I would say not, as sure it may be guaranteed money "quick and easy" but what you're offered is slightly on low end in my opinion.  You will most likely get much more for your drones out selling out of hand as mention here on your own terms
2018-8-29
Use props
Exib
Captain
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The trade up program is a great idea though the costs associated are far too low, I sold my Mavic Pro for £850.00 in July
2018-8-30
Use props
dbparti024
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Its a ridiculous offer by DJI, $500 should be minimum
2018-8-30
Use props
OverTheEdge
lvl.4
United States

I do think that you are better off selling your old drone, and you can bundle the accessories etc.

While I think that the trade offers are low from DJI, it is no different (in comparison) than what you would get for trading in used cars, motorcycles, video games, firearms etc.

Trade Ins generally benefit the retailer more than the consumer, and the ROI can be higher than selling a new product.
2018-8-30
Use props
Charissa
Captain
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

I voted no. Poor support for the MA, keeps me from wanting anything to do with the latest of their drones. Will wait and see if they improve, and if they could keep the new drones flying, and the consumers happy.
2018-9-2
Use props
fans2c2b28f3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25699 ft
United States

Michael_M Posted at 2018-8-23 09:01
The value just isn't there. I looked up my "new" condition Platinum and got $398 as a quote. Granted I was forced to select Standard MP as Platinum wasn't a choice. They are selling refurbished for more than double what they are offering. Sweet revenue stream. Not so sweet when compared to value found on ebay for example.

I sent my near new Platinum in, thinking I'd get the quoted $398. Two weeks later I got an email saying it's "not as described" and offering me $97. I told them to send my Platinum back.
2018-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules