Flying a Crashed/Repaired Inspire 1
1481 9 2015-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chaz76vette
lvl.1

United States

Hello!
   Looking for some experience here.  Obviously this depends on the nature of each particular crash, but does anyone here have experience with crashing their Inspire 1, having it repaired by DJI, and flying it again after the repairs are completed?  I’m wondering what their track record is for repair work, and how reliable the machines can be after a wreck that destroys parts of the aircraft such as the motors, landing legs, and camera system.  Are they pretty good about replacing every damaged component regardless of the severity of the damage?  
   I ask because of the high technical precision and sensitivity of many of the components of these aircraft, and I'm wondering how well they tend to survive and fly again after the high impact of a crash and subsequent fall to the ground, even if the broken stuff is replaced.  Many precision instruments are never really reliable again after they have been subjected to the stresses of an impact or drop.  

Thanks for any insight.
Regards,

2015-5-27
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

Within a week of having my Inspire it crashed. DJI basically rebuilt the whole thing for me for FREE and it flies like a dream! The last thing DJI wants is more warranty repairs because it costs too much $$$ so that means they will fix it to be working perfectly in order to never see your drone again LOL.
2015-5-27
Use props
supasympa
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have an Inspire1 which I bought with a broken boom. I fixed it myself by replacing the boom and tested it all out and then cautiously flew it. It flies perfectly, and has done for over 10 flights since the repair.

I also had a crash with another Inspire 1 which only received a small amount of damage, even though it was quite a drop, details here:

http://blog.supasympa.com/2015/0 ... bounce-test-passed/

I can't speak for DJI's ability to repair the machines but they seem pretty durable.
2015-5-27
Use props
Wolfman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405659 ft
Australia

Hi Chaz,

just got mine back after a very long 3 months! Had uncontrolled fly away in March. Aircraft destroyed. DJI identified hardware faults via flight log but would not replace, insisted on repairing. I honestly could not see what there was to repair.

Have test flown the bird the last 2 days and tested all redundancy features.  To the repair centre credit, they have done a great job. WELL DONE!

I just wish the communication and time line of this process was as good as the repair job.
2015-5-27
Use props
chaz76vette
lvl.1

United States

Wolfman Posted at 2015-5-28 07:04
Hi Chaz,

just got mine back after a very long 3 months! Had uncontrolled fly away in March. Aircraf ...

That's great they did a good job - too bad it took so long!!  I really don't want to be 3 months without the product I paid $3000 for because of a crash caused by a defect in the product, but I guess that's the way things go...  Any indication why it took so long?

Glad you are back in the air, and thanks everyone on here for the responses so far.
2015-5-27
Use props
stclassic01
lvl.1

United States

I had to send my I1 back, they received it on May 18th. they said it would take about 6 weeks to get it back. I didn't crash my I1, I couldn't upgrade the RC controller with the new firmware that came out May 6th. and now I see there is another firmware update yesterday. Everything seemed to work properly on the bench except I had no video feed to my tablet. They told me it would work perfectly when I get it back so now I sit and wait. It is good to here that there service is so good.
Still waiting....
2015-5-27
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

stclassic01@yah Posted at 2015-5-28 07:26
I had to send my I1 back, they received it on May 18th. they said it would take about 6 weeks to get ...

sent my bird on May 12 after and erratic flight where i almost loset my inspire 1. They also said that it would be better than new.... Hope this is true, jus a small damage to the landing gear.  finallly talked to DJi over the phone today  they said that it got check in yesterday and that they sent me an email but thats not the case. Lets see how long it will take from this point....
2015-5-27
Use props
chaz76vette
lvl.1

United States

mountmotor Posted at 2015-5-28 05:23
Within a week of having my Inspire it crashed. DJI basically rebuilt the whole thing for me for FREE ...

How long did it take to get yours back?  I'm in your area and have similar damage
2015-5-27
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

chaz76vette@yah Posted at 2015-5-28 07:36
How long did it take to get yours back?  I'm in your area and have similar damage

It took 4 -5 weeks total. What area are you in...LA?
2015-5-27
Use props
chaz76vette
lvl.1

United States

mountmotor Posted at 2015-5-28 08:29
It took 4 -5 weeks total. What area are you in...LA?

Yeah, the IE (Redlands)
2015-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules