2999 18 2018-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David J.
First Officer
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

Hi all

With the new Mavic 2s out along with their new/updated flight modes, I was wondering what people’s thoughts are, especially on the Active Track 2.0. It seems that it got a huge overhaul and is way better, tracking things up to 72kph and creating movement algorithms to estimate the location of it. Seems pretty crazy.

So, please share you expirence/thoughts/videos/etc. on the updated Active Track. Nothing good about it seems to be out on YouTube yet, so if you have a Mavic 2, could you test Active Track 2.0 and share the results? It seems like it could really be something!

Also, I have a priority shipping code for a Mavic 2 that I’m not going to use. DM me if you’d like it.
2018-8-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Just one correction on this: Active Track will definitely not work at 72 kph. That is the maximum speed that M2 can do in Sport mode, but not in the Intelligent Flight Modes.
2018-8-25
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-25 10:31
Just one correction on this: Active Track will definitely not work at 72 kph. That is the maximum speed that M2 can do in Sport mode, but not in the Intelligent Flight Modes.

Makes sense. But, the livestream didn’t specify how fast it would really track things - see 18:45:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ctm69vb2Pf8
2018-8-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

David J. Posted at 2018-8-25 12:59
Makes sense. But, the livestream didn’t specify how fast it would really track things - see 18:45:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ctm69vb2Pf8

This is the best source of information: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20V1.0.pdf
2018-8-25
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-25 13:07
This is the best source of information: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 20Manual%20V1.0.pdf

It seems as though it can fly at 20m/s = 72kph = 44.7387mph. This should really push the limits of what can be done, especially if you are flying in a very open area. Check this out:
2018-8-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

I might have been wrong then and this is truly amazing from a technology point of view. Nevertheless here comes my big BUT: I definitely never would try doing this ;-)
2018-8-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-25 10:31
Just one correction on this: Active Track will definitely not work at 72 kph. That is the maximum speed that M2 can do in Sport mode, but not in the Intelligent Flight Modes.

They did actually say it would track up to speeds of 72kph . We shall see.
2018-8-25
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-25 13:24
I might have been wrong then and this is truly amazing from a technology point of view. Nevertheless here comes my big BUT: I definitely never would try doing this ;-)

I would only dare if the terrain was really open, or I had it above any interference. Still, very sketchy
2018-8-25
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-25 13:40

I’m really hoping to see some field tests to see how well it actually works. The original Active Track was a bit buggy, so tracking at max speed seems almost too good...
2018-8-25
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer
Flight distance : 247474 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-25 13:40

Its at about the 4 min mark in this DJI video
2018-8-25
Use props
Mikem691
Second Officer
Flight distance : 247474 ft

Not my video but here is a good test

2018-8-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Sorry for the late response. ActiveTrack 2.0 allows you to select an object on your mobile device screen. The aircraft adjusts its flight to track the subject. No external tracking is required. Mavic 2 pro/zoom can automatically identify up to 16 objects and uses different tracking strategies to track people, vehicles and boats.

You may refer to this manual as well: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... r%20Manual_v1.0.pdf
2018-8-29
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-29 07:51
Hi. Sorry for the late response. ActiveTrack 2.0 allows you to select an object on your mobile device screen. The aircraft adjusts its flight to track the subject. No external tracking is required. Mavic 2 pro/zoom can automatically identify up to 16 objects and uses different tracking strategies to track people, vehicles and boats.

You may refer to this manual as well: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/20180827/Mavic%202%20Pro%20Zoom%20User%20Manual_v1.0.pdf

Thanks. It really seems like an upgrade from the original Active Track.

Now to see how it holds up in real-word testing!
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

David J. Posted at 2018-8-29 08:04

Yes, that is correct, David. Good luck and have a safe flight!
2018-8-29
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

David J. Posted at 2018-8-29 08:04

Real world testing where a pilot is flying the drone and letting active track point the camera/drone?  The pilot there to make corrections if the drone gets into danger?

Or, real world testing where the pilot puts away the controller, leaves the drone to its own devices, and hopes the drone will follow him while he does another task such as bicycling?  The bicyclist then ignoring his pilot duties/responsibilities while his drone is in the nation's airspace.

New RC model hobbyist, "My drone flew into a river while I was skateboarding.  Will DJI replace it?"  
2018-8-29
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-8-29 08:21
Real world testing where a pilot is flying the drone and letting active track point the camera/drone?  The pilot there to make corrections if the drone gets into danger?

Or, real world testing where the pilot puts away the controller, leaves the drone to its own devices, and hopes the drone will follow him while he does another task such as bicycling?  The bicyclist then ignoring his pilot duties/responsibilities while his drone is in the nation's airspace.

Essentially either. What I want to see is how well the camera can track the object - either with or without a pilots input.

I do agree that people might find false security/have false trust that the Mavic 2 will flawlessly follow them while avoiding a myriad of obstacles.

That is a little worrying to think about...
2018-8-29
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

David J. Posted at 2018-8-29 08:29
Essentially either. What I want to see is how well the camera can track the object - either with or without a pilots input.

I do agree that people might find false security/have false trust that the Mavic 2 will flawlessly follow them while avoiding a myriad of obstacles.

I've seen smart modes happily keep the camera pointed at the subject but not be able to figure, or hold, the distance to the subject.  Then it can't hold position and rapidly races backwards into the distance.

Active tracking isn't using GPS to stay with the subject.  It is using the subjects position to figure out where the drone should be.  Very risky.

I have used active tracking when I first got my drone but tend to not use these days since flying manually is faster and more accurate.  Since I am a RC pilot responsible for what happens, I like to keep the drone fully under my control.

2018-8-29
Use props
David J.
First Officer
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-8-29 15:08
I've seen smart modes happily keep the camera pointed at the subject but not be able to figure, or hold, the distance to the subject.  Then it can't hold position and rapidly races backwards into the distance.

Active tracking isn't using GPS to stay with the subject.  It is using the subjects position to figure out where the drone should be.  Very risky.

I find the same - I’d rather pilot it myself, and get similar/better shots opposed to surrendering control to the drone.
2018-8-29
Use props
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-8-29 08:21

yes if you recover it!!  You'll need this!!

2018-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules