Leaving batteries fully charged
7768 24 2018-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Is it ok to leave the MA batteries fully charged?  I haven't flown mine is a while because I've been flying my Phantom but the batteries are still fully charged.
2018-8-26
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

They should start auto discharging down to the storage level after 10 days.

How long have them been full charged?
2018-8-26
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

It is not really ok to leave your batteries stored at 100%, auto discharge or not. The auto discharge should only come into play if you forgot them at 100%. It can be set from 1 to 10 days.

Store your batteries at around 60% when you are not going to use them within the next 2 or so days.

This is to extend the life of the batteries.
2018-8-26
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

For some strange reason, pressing the button on Mavic Air batteries does not reset the 10-day countdown.
2018-8-26
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Koelkop Posted at 2018-8-26 12:50
It is not really ok to leave your batteries stored at 100%, auto discharge or not. The auto discharge should only come into play if you forgot them at 100%. It can be set from 1 to 10 days.

Store your batteries at around 60% when you are not going to use them within the next 2 or so days.

The default setting is 10 days. Unfortunately, it cannot be changed in DJI GO.
2018-8-26
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

msinger Posted at 2018-8-26 12:56
The default setting is 10 days. Unfortunately, it cannot be changed in DJI GO.

Is that the case on the mavic air? On the Pro I can adjust it, mine is set on 2 days
2018-8-26
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Koelkop Posted at 2018-8-26 13:01
Is that the case on the mavic air? On the Pro I can adjust it, mine is set on 2 days

That's the case on the Mavic Air. It's what the OP is using.
2018-8-26
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

msinger Posted at 2018-8-26 12:38
They should start auto discharging down to the storage level after 10 days.

How long have them been full charged?

Probably more than 10 days but I've checked them a few times which I think resets the 10 day cycle.  
2018-8-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry, regarding the battery storage we have documentation that you may refer. Please see the image below for the advisable storage of your battery. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you need our help. Thank you.

2018-8-26
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Christine i would suggest that you manually discharge them down to around 60% then leave them alone untill you are ready to fly again ie dont press the button to check them every cple of days.
After a month or so then yes check them but if your planning on not using the drone for quite some time only recharge untill the 3rd light starts to flash then remove from the charger.
To manually discharge just simply go for a fly or let the drone hover untill battery is at around 60% then remove the battery do this for each battery.
2018-8-26
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-26 15:35
Christine i would suggest that you manually discharge them down to around 60% then leave them alone untill you are ready to fly again ie dont press the button to check them every cple of days.
After a month or so then yes check them but if your planning on not using the drone for quite some time only recharge untill the 3rd light starts to flash then remove from the charger.
To manually discharge just simply go for a fly or let the drone hover untill battery is at around 60% then remove the battery do this for each battery.

Thanks I'll try that.
2018-8-26
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

If you have had the drone for some period of time dont forget to do a deep discharge cycle prob every 6 months should be fine.
2018-8-26
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-8-26 16:17
If you have had the drone for some period of time dont forget to do a deep discharge cycle prob every 6 months should be fine.

I've only had it a few months.
2018-8-26
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Australia

You will be fine just dont leave them in a fully charged or discharged state between 50 and 65 % is the best range for them to be stored in
2018-8-26
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-26 14:52
Hi, Thanks for the inquiry, regarding the battery storage we have documentation that you may refer. Please see the image below for the advisable storage of your battery. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you need our help. Thank you.

[view_image]

Is there a way to discharge the batteries without flying the drone?  
2018-8-27
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

There are videos on this same subject here.
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Christine96 Posted at 2018-8-27 14:13
Is there a way to discharge the batteries without flying the drone?

Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply. You can use the discharge option in the DJI GO 4 app under battery settings, you can discharge the battery depending on how long you will put the battery on the storage mode, however, the maximum would be 10 days and turning on the battery will reset the discharging process. Please let us know if you have other concerns.
2018-8-28
Use props
Atlas_Aus
lvl.4

Thailand

Hi all,

Newbie here... So I should not leave my batteries on the charger until next flight ? At the moment I am flying nearly every day....
2018-8-28
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-28 09:26
Hi all,

Newbie here... So I should not leave my batteries on the charger until next flight ? At the moment I am flying nearly every day....

It's fine to charge the batteries daily if you're going to use them daily.
2018-8-28
Use props
Atlas_Aus
lvl.4

Thailand

msinger Posted at 2018-8-28 13:13
It's fine to charge the batteries daily if you're going to use them daily.

Thanks,

But I mean leaving them on the charger until I am ready to use next time ?
2018-8-28
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-28 21:31
Thanks,

But I mean leaving them on the charger until I am ready to use next time ?

From a safety standpoint you shouldn't do that. Ever. With any rechargeable-battery powered device.

The battery will drop in voltage within a specific range in a specific time window and as soon as this is the case, the charger will start to charge the cell. This stop-and-go condition might damage the cell or at least decreases the lifespan of the battery.

Charge them and disconnect the batteries as soon as they are fully charged. Leaving them on the charger for a few hours after charging is no problem at all. But always try not to charge batteries unsupervised and always on a fireproof surface...

I had a phone battery in my hands when it went bang and I can tell you LiPo batteries are vicious little beasts!
2018-8-28
Use props
Atlas_Aus
lvl.4

Thailand

FntX Posted at 2018-8-28 22:11
From a safety standpoint you shouldn't do that. Ever. With any rechargeable-battery powered device.

The battery will drop in voltage within a specific range in a specific time window and as soon as this is the case, the charger will start to charge the cell. This stop-and-go condition might damage the cell or at least decreases the lifespan of the battery.

Thanks mate.

I wasn't sure it was drone specific batteries.

I have had camera and AAA/AA rechargeable for years and have always left them on charge and never noticed a reduced life or other issue.

I tend not to plan to 'shoot' too often, so it's nice to have charged batteries waiting when I do... Though with the cost of these drone batteries I may do as you suggest.
2018-8-29
Use props
msinger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Atlas_Aus Posted at 2018-8-28 21:31
Thanks,

But I mean leaving them on the charger until I am ready to use next time ?

As @FntX noted above, it's not safe to charge batteries while unsupervised. While DJI battery fires are quite rare, you don't want to be the one to lose a house over it.
2018-8-29
Use props
djiuser_na5YlufudV5u
lvl.1

South Africa

Actually learned a lot reading this thread!
2018-12-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_na5YlufudV5u Posted at 12-16 12:34
Actually learned a lot reading this thread!

Hi, we're glad that it came conveniently to you visiting our forum. I would recommend reading the manuals and safety guidelines when using the drone via our website. You may refer to the link below. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for the support.

www.dji.com
2018-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules