Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
HD Downlink + Live Streaming = Too Much for Crystal Sky
696 11 2018-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

I recently discovered that I can still record 4K 24 when HD downlink is enabled on the P4P 2.0. That's good.

I also discovered that running HD downlink AND trying to stream to Facebook at the same time is too much for Crystal Sky's CPU to handle. The picture freezes. As soon as I stop streaming, the picture resumes. So 720P is the limit for downlink if you are streaming.

sample video
2018-8-26
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Sorry for the late response. Can you provide the firmware version of your crystalsky, remote, and aircraft?
2018-8-28
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-28 08:23
Hi. Sorry for the late response. Can you provide the firmware version of your crystalsky, remote, and aircraft?

Has there been an update to Crystal Sky since May 25th? Also, has there been an update to the P4P 2.0 since July?

The CS Ultra has the update to make it compatible with P4P 2.0 and the AC itself got an update in July. So I think these are the current firmware versions.
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-28 16:46
Has there been an update to Crystal Sky since May 25th? Also, has there been an update to the P4P 2.0 since July?

The CS Ultra has the update to make it compatible with P4P 2.0 and the AC itself got an update in July. So I think these are the current firmware versions.

Thank you for the response. Did you try to back up and reset the crystalsky?
2018-8-29
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-29 01:25
Thank you for the response. Did you try to back up and reset the crystalsky?

I don't know about backing up the CS, but way back in the first week of ownership, I reset it.
It simply doesn't have enough processing power to handle streaming and video downlink in HD at the same time.
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-29 07:48
I don't know about backing up the CS, but way back in the first week of ownership, I reset it.
It simply doesn't have enough processing power to handle streaming and video downlink in HD at the same time.

I see. If that's the case, I highly suggest to send your unit to our repair facility to have it check. Please start up a case online: repair.dji.com
2018-8-29
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-29 07:54
I see. If that's the case, I highly suggest to send your unit to our repair facility to have it check. Please start up a case online: repair.dji.com

Should it be able to stream to Facebook while displaying a 1080P video downlink? It looks to me like it's just not sufficiently powerful enough CPU. I think it would be a waste of time to send it in only to be told 'no trouble found'.
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-8-29 07:59
Should it be able to stream to Facebook while displaying a 1080P video downlink? It looks to me like it's just not sufficiently powerful enough CPU. I think it would be a waste of time to send it in only to be told 'no trouble found'.

It should be, Mark.
2018-8-29
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

Well maybe I'll send it in over the winter months when I'm not flying, and have it looked at. It's always been laggy and sluggish to respond to user input, and any Intelligent Flight mode seems to stress it beyond it's capability and video downlink fails or disconnects entirely.
2018-8-31
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

Today I flew the Phantom with the downlink in HD mode and tried streaming live. This time, it didn't cause the video to freeze up.
The only thing I can think that's different is it's about 20 degrees cooler today than the other day when it refused to stream in HD mode.
2018-9-1
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

Whenever I stream, it is all chopped up. DJI Go reports a framerate anywhere from 0.1FPS to 24FPS. I'm on a fast cable connection, testing at the office, so now I know it isn't a cellular limitation.
The problem gets even worse if I enable PowerSaving mode on the Crystal Sky. That pretty much proves it's a CPU limitation of the Crystal Sky.
This display was advertized as having a super-duper processor and hardware accelarated graphics superior to any phone or tablet, but reality, it's barely equal to a four year old Android tablet in terms of how well it runs DJI Go 4.

2018-9-1
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

Today, I tested the frame rate and smoothness of live streaming.

I found that with my Samsung Note 5, stream rate maintains 24 FPS and there are no gaps in the online video.
With the Crystal Sky, stream starts at 24 FPS and quickly degrades to 5 FPS and lower. Resulting video looks like it was edited/chopped up as you'll see the scene cuts frequently:

2018-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules