1733 19 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ropu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 169633 ft
Spain

Hello!

I am thinking about getting a drone: Mavic Air or Spark, 600€ for the Spark Fly more Combo or Mavic Air normal package for 700€. One thing that I do not wish is people complaining about the noise or getting annoyed. I've read and heard many times that Spark owners love the toy-look of their devices and that the noise is quite bearable, people do not feel intimidated. On top of that, the Spark because of its weight complies with many European regulations.

Now, the Mavic Air has better camera-quality, gimbal and sensors.

Mavic Air owners I hereby summon you all; do people feel intimidated/get annoyed when you fly your drone?

And the big question: would it be better to get the Spark knowing that people/authorities will likely accept it more than the Spark or for the relatively small price difference, would it be wiser to go for the Air?

I am an amateur and by no means I will be making photos or footage professionally, but you know? the more quality you get and the more possibilities the device offers, the more room for improvement you get.

However, every time I hear that the Spark goes almost unnoticed and that it is so easy to fly in every situation, I feel more attracted to it. Then I stop and also think that the Air is overall a better drone... and thus I cannot figure which one would be better.

I thank you all for your opinions in advance.

2018-8-27
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Most of the time people are just interested in what you are doing. Seldom I met people who are annoyed. Just follow common sense and local regulations. Don't fly over private property, over people and stay away from city space and airports.

I don't know if a Spark is more silent or less annoying than Mavic. For the record, I fly a Mavic Pro.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112123 ft
South Africa

Hey there,  I was also recently thinking about getting the spark due to its affordability, However ended up getting the Air for its features. First impressions noise wise is that it is a little bit louder than I expected and at times can be a slightly annoying when hovering nearby. But once you take it up or during flight it's actually not too bad most of the time ambient sound from trees, the ocean or the city  help reduce the noisiness. So far I haven't received any complaints, many people instead will come to me and ask about the drone itself, "How far can go, how fast can it go?" etc. etc.
2018-8-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Having owned and loved the Spark myself and then switched to the Mavic Air, I would definitely recommend you the Air. It is just so much more powerful and has the latest technology/features. It is a bit noisier than the Spark, but as reported here above, once it is up in the air it is ok.
One option: You should quite easily find cheap second hand Sparks. You could start with that and later resell it when you want to upgrade to the Mavic Air.
2018-8-27
Use props
nywrecker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft

The Air is not intimidating at all. However it does have a pitch noise from the propellers/motors that is annoying.
2018-8-27
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure i agree with that.  The smaller drones and smaller props generally have a higher frequency whine which is more noticeable and annoying than bigger drones.  Ultimately don't fly it like a selfish idiot - dont go close to people or property, dont hover near people and so on and theres usually no issue.
2018-8-27
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

I get a little "self-conscious" when I go fly my Mavic Air. It's more so because the media gives these things a bad reputation and I worry that others are a bit paranoid of my drone. Most of the time though when they approach me, they are more inquisitive in a good way which is a relief, but it doesn't help my thoughts on how loud and obvious it is. Typically what I do is perform a standard takeoff then knock it into sports mode and send it straight up. Once you get to about 50 metres it starts to become a little less annoying and obvious those around and then I continue along and do what I was going to do. Only downside is the return. You usually spend that little bit more time getting its position right and then it hovers for a little before it completely lands.
2018-8-27
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

In order, budget, features, convenience and fun.  I bought my MP first, then the Spark.   When I'm planning a 'serious' photo session I take the MP with it's added features, camera quality, and much longer battery life.  When I'm just having fun and there's no major photo demands, I take the Spark.  If you browse the Spark Forum's images you'll not see much difference in the photo quality, and if you do, it's more likely the quality of the photographer that is reflected NOT the Spark.  

So far, the only complaint with the Spark is battery life.  When I'm shooting sunsets I like to "hang" in the air and take one image after another as the sun sets.  Bringing down the aircraft for new batteries takes 3-4 minutes, just long enough to loose that perfect moment in the sunset.  

Finally, the Spark looks more like a 'toy' drone to the non-pilots among us.  Observers will likely dismiss it as a toy rather than complain about imposing on their privacy.  It become more of a curiosity (to them) than an issue, especially when I take the time to show them how it works and answers their questions with courtesy.

2018-8-27
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I think you will find that your response from people will be in proportion to your effort to be a good ambassador of the sport. I don't fly over private property, people or city spaces out of respect for people just trying to enjoy the day. I've been approached by a lot of people while flying, but it's always been out of curiosity. I take the time to let them watch the drone, my display, etc. and it always generates excitement.

My advice is to buy what you want (based on the features that are important to you) and then adopt a discipline for flying that respects the concerns of others while allowing you to enjoy your drone. There's a definite sweet spot there that, if you put the effort to, will allow you to avoid a lot of the problems you've probably read about.

2018-8-27
Use props
Ropu
lvl.1
Germany

So, basically you guys are saying that if people want to complain they’d do it anyway, regardless which of the two you’re flying. There’s no big difference between the two regarding noise and although people could feel less intimidated by the toy look of the Spark, the Mavic Air, as long as I am not flying over the people, they shouldn’t be bothered. Did I get you right? Thank you all.
2018-8-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A lot will depend on how you 'behave'.
If you are visible in the area you are flying (so only fly close by) it is less intimidating for people.
I try to avoid gardens and stuff that belong to people.
That way I rarely get negative responses. (actually I only had one so far)
2018-8-27
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Ropu Posted at 2018-8-27 07:32
So, basically you guys are saying that if people want to complain they’d do it anyway, regardless which of the two you’re flying. There’s no big difference between the two regarding noise and although people could feel less intimidated by the toy look of the Spark, the Mavic Air, as long as I am not flying over the people, they shouldn’t be bothered. Did I get you right? Thank you all.

yes - in my experience that is a good summary.
by far most people are super cool - but there are those who are not and you never know who they are till its too late.
Avoid people as much as possible. Remain at least 30 m away from people. This will not stop the crazies but if you do not scare people or annoy them or cause them to worry that they are being spied on, then for the most part you should be good.
2018-8-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The noise annoys you more than anyone else, it’s not as noisy as your neighbors tractor lawnmower and it whines for an hour every week.
Your craft whatever you use will be up in the air 200 metres away in minutes, so it’s not an intrusion on anyone, the mere fact that you are asking shows you will be as discreet as you possibly can, so go buy the one of your choice and enjoy it.
2018-8-27
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Just don't linger, keep moving.
2018-8-27
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have not yet run into anyone that is annoyed by my flying.  I try to be very respectful of others and try to avoid people whenever I can.  If people are near I increase my altitude.  Most of the time, people are more interested to see what I'm doing than anything.

Having a friendly disposition is always helpful.
2018-8-28
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

I ahve always asked for an OK if people are in the area and have never had a complaint. I end up gettingannoyed as while I am trying to fly I get bombarded with "How high, how fast , how much does it cost. and of course from the younger kids, Can I try
2018-8-28
Use props
Ropu
lvl.1
Spain

Thank you guys! It’s really a tough decision. 550€ for the Spark Fly more or 770€ for the Spark normal package. I think I’d enjoy the quality of the Mavic Air but I am also very attracted to the portability, weight and inoffensive look of the Spark.
2018-8-28
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ropu Posted at 2018-8-28 11:37
Thank you guys! It’s really a tough decision. 550€ for the Spark Fly more or 770€ for the Spark normal package. I think I’d enjoy the quality of the Mavic Air but I am also very attracted to the portability, weight and inoffensive look of the Spark.

I have to say that the few spark owners that I've spoken with have actually upgraded to the Air.  The portability of the Mavic Air is equal or better than the Spark.  <-- this is my personal opinion, and if yours is different, that is perfectly fine.  Whatever you decide, get the fly more combo.  getting the extra batteries (and controller if you go Spark) make a big difference.  You'll want those extras.
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. Aside from other suggestions, you can also check our website to have a comparison between the spark and the Mavic Air. It would be better as well if you're fully aware of the local policy to be more responsible for using your drone.

https://www.dji.com/products/compare-consumer-drones

2018-9-4
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I have had both the Spark and the Mavic Air.
If you can afford it, I suggest the Air.
Better bird, better camera. Not much more noise.
I have been flying 4 years, all different types of drones and only had 2 encounters with (paranoid) people. It wouldn't have mattered to them if it was a Tello.
They seem to think that drones have 400mm zoom lenses and X-ray vision. One guy said that in this day and age they shouldn't be allowed because I could have a bomb on board!
That's their mess.

2018-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules