Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OBX Drone Rules?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheLazyC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1357356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Getting ready to travel to the Outter Banks for Labor Day and of course I want to take my P4PV2.0, so I was looking at the maps to identify any potential issues with air space and ran across this video from Nags Head.

What are yall's thoughts on this, from those that have a clear understanding of the FAA guidelines here is the US?

2018-8-27
Use props
Reds2tall55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1159409 ft
United States

Pretty informative and fairly easy to understand. I kind of wish other towns or cities would explain what they want or rules like this. So at least if the popo show up or some property owner starts yelling you have something to show them. .. Wait No i take that back.. what am i saying i must be crazy.. Oh god i'm losing it. lmao...  
2018-8-27
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft
United States

So I live near the OBX and have run into this problem in Nags Head. I took my Mavic Air to the beach and when I launched got shut down immediately by the lifeguard. Apparently you have to have some sort of permit to fly over public property (as confirmed by the video). However when I called the town manager office to figure out how to do this I got no response and was forwarded to their answering machine. Their pre recorded message said you "must notify" their office prior to flying over public property, didn't say anything about a permit. So in the message I left I gave my name, telephone number, FAA number, where I was, how long I planned to fly and said that this was my notice that I was going to fly. I then flew my drone along the beach, staying mostly over the water. These rules ONLY apply in Nags Head, there are many other small towns and they may have less or more restrictions. You must do your research. Also keep in mind there is an active airstrip at the Wright brothers National Memorial in Kittyhawk, and also there are lots of small single engine aircraft that transit north along the beach at low altitudes towing advertising banners. They return south along the west/inland side of the islands. There are also many Coast Guard aircraft that transit the area for training but they do not usually descend lower than 500 ft.

The rules Nags Head have irritate me. The beaches are considered public property yet the city of Nags Head claim to have the right to restrict our use of airspace over the beach. I don't understand how they can do that. They COULD argue that you are "operating" your drone FROM their property, but what if I walked down to the water and stood in the water? They do not have the authority over any ocean. I understand they are trying to protect people on the beach from any possible accidents however they are on the border of overstepping their authority.
2018-8-27
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dont slow down Posted at 2018-8-27 08:31
So I live near the OBX and have run into this problem in Nags Head. I took my Mavic Air to the beach and when I launched got shut down immediately by the lifeguard. Apparently you have to have some sort of permit to fly over public property (as confirmed by the video). However when I called the town manager office to figure out how to do this I got no response and was forwarded to their answering machine. Their pre recorded message said you "must notify" their office prior to flying over public property, didn't say anything about a permit. So in the message I left I gave my name, telephone number, FAA number, where I was, how long I planned to fly and said that this was my notice that I was going to fly. I then flew my drone along the beach, staying mostly over the water. These rules ONLY apply in Nags Head, there are many other small towns and they may have less or more restrictions. You must do your research. Also keep in mind there is an active airstrip at the Wright brothers National Memorial in Kittyhawk, and also there are lots of small single engine aircraft that transit north along the beach at low altitudes towing advertising banners. They return south along the west/inland side of the islands. There are also many Coast Guard aircraft that transit the area for training but they do not usually descend lower than 500 ft.

The rules Nags Head have irritate me. The beaches are considered public property yet the city of Nags Head claim to have the right to restrict our use of airspace over the beach. I don't understand how they can do that. They COULD argue that you are "operating" your drone FROM their property, but what if I walked down to the water and stood in the water? They do not have the authority over any ocean. I understand they are trying to protect people on the beach from any possible accidents however they are on the border of overstepping their authority.

Yeah, I think they are shooting in the dark, scaring off the masses, but not sure they can do that. I plan to fly mine but will adhere to their 7pm rule just because I think it will be better flying at that time anyway.

There is a permit on their web page that states you must complete and submit and have in your possession while flying. However, I would assume that not many permits are granted based on the form.

The do not even allow wedding videos from drones when conducted on the east side of the dunes, which they are claiming as their property.

I am not even sure where we are staying yet, our daughter rented the house but I plan to fly....
2018-8-27
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dont slow down Posted at 2018-8-27 08:31
So I live near the OBX and have run into this problem in Nags Head. I took my Mavic Air to the beach and when I launched got shut down immediately by the lifeguard. Apparently you have to have some sort of permit to fly over public property (as confirmed by the video). However when I called the town manager office to figure out how to do this I got no response and was forwarded to their answering machine. Their pre recorded message said you "must notify" their office prior to flying over public property, didn't say anything about a permit. So in the message I left I gave my name, telephone number, FAA number, where I was, how long I planned to fly and said that this was my notice that I was going to fly. I then flew my drone along the beach, staying mostly over the water. These rules ONLY apply in Nags Head, there are many other small towns and they may have less or more restrictions. You must do your research. Also keep in mind there is an active airstrip at the Wright brothers National Memorial in Kittyhawk, and also there are lots of small single engine aircraft that transit north along the beach at low altitudes towing advertising banners. They return south along the west/inland side of the islands. There are also many Coast Guard aircraft that transit the area for training but they do not usually descend lower than 500 ft.

The rules Nags Head have irritate me. The beaches are considered public property yet the city of Nags Head claim to have the right to restrict our use of airspace over the beach. I don't understand how they can do that. They COULD argue that you are "operating" your drone FROM their property, but what if I walked down to the water and stood in the water? They do not have the authority over any ocean. I understand they are trying to protect people on the beach from any possible accidents however they are on the border of overstepping their authority.

And what authority does a "life guard" have anyway?
2018-8-27
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft
United States

It seems like such a hassle to fly there, you have to find the fire chief and get his permission? As well as provide all "North Carolina and Federal permits"? Uhh there is no such thing as a NC drone permit. NC follows the FAA guidelines and regulations as far as permits. I'm all about flying safely and responsibly, but when places like Nags Head start to get high and mighty it really irritates me. I say do what is reasonable and practical to follow their rules, however if you fly and get hassled then keep in mind that The US Code 49USC40.103 "Gives controlling authority of the sovereignty and use of airspace to the Administrator of the FAA" and section a2 states "A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through navigable airspace". I keep those printed out in my flight bag in case someone wants to harass me. If I'm following the guidelines set forth by the FAA and am operating in a safe, responsible, and legal manner then I'll pull those out and see who has something to say about it then.
2018-8-27
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dont slow down Posted at 2018-8-27 10:11
It seems like such a hassle to fly there, you have to find the fire chief and get his permission? As well as provide all "North Carolina and Federal permits"? Uhh there is no such thing as a NC drone permit. NC follows the FAA guidelines and regulations as far as permits. I'm all about flying safely and responsibly, but when places like Nags Head start to get high and mighty it really irritates me. I say do what is reasonable and practical to follow their rules, however if you fly and get hassled then keep in mind that The US Code 49USC40.103 "Gives controlling authority of the sovereignty and use of airspace to the Administrator of the FAA" and section a2 states "A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through navigable airspace". I keep those printed out in my flight bag in case someone wants to harass me. If I'm following the guidelines set forth by the FAA and am operating in a safe, responsible, and legal manner then I'll pull those out and see who has something to say about it then.

I am sure there are a LOT of people who were or maybe still flying drones on the beaches, and I get it. It is a safety concern, but if you are following guidelines, you are not flying over people anyway.

There are some rouge pilots out there that will mess it up for everyone.

I guess I will be safe in doing some shoreline videos from the breakers after 7pm
2018-8-27
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

I think Hatteras would be a better place to fly than Nags Head. Duck or   Curretuck.
2018-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules