P3 controller GPS?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shed14
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6854 ft
Australia

Hey folks,
does the P3 controller have and inbulit GPS..?
(and could you please provide a specific reference in the manual or other documentation to confirm this pls) a lot of ppl are saying that the inspire controller has inbuilt GPS but no mention of this for the P3 controller

I ask because my ipad air 2 wifi only does not have GPS, so if walk away from the original home point and i want to set a new home point how does it know where my ipad/controller is located?

cheers
Harvey

**IF anyone is using an IPAD AIR 2 WIFI only Model, could you please test this out and share your findings... **
(my ipad is still in the box unopened.. cause if it doesnt work then im going to return it and exchage it for the wifi+cellular model that has inbuilt gps into the ipad)

cheers again!
2015-5-28
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

The quad gets it's GPS signal from the built in GPS unit. Check page 8 of the manual.

Once you establish your "Home" position for the RTH function, that position is set by the quad not the remote transmitter. See page 12.
2015-5-28
Use props
shed14
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6854 ft
Australia

gregg1r@mindspr Posted at 2015-5-28 21:30
The quad gets it's GPS signal from the built in GPS unit. Check page 8 of the manual.

Once you esta ...

Yes sir thats what i figured...

i think i may have answered my own question in the following thread
>>

http://forum.dji.com/thread-16174-1-1.html

--------------------
heya folks,
ive been reading posts relating to the original post question for the last 2 hrs and it seems everyone is dodging the real question..
The question asked is ..
DO I NEED AN IPAD WITH GPS INBUILT (Ie wifi+cellular)??

Everyone seems to get caught up on the maps and caching but that is not the issue....  YES you can just hotspot the ipad (wifi only) and you will have your maps but that is not the benefit of having a IPAD with GPS inbuilt..

I finally realised that YES you do need an IPAD (wifi +cellular model) which comes with inbuild GPS if you want the app to locate "YOUR" current physical position... ie where you ARE standing! Not where the phantom is located.

Yes the phantom has a GPS

But if you want to move(walk) to a new location with your controller in hand, you clearly need a GPS to plot/follow your current location where you physically are standing or moving to..
The IPAD without GPS cannot give you this information.

People are saying that the "CONTROLLER" has inbuilt GPS but there is no source material to confirm this. If this were the case then NO your IPAD would not need to have a GPS.

However im am 99.99% sure there is not GPS in the controller so that means there is no way for the app to locate your physical  "STANDING" position unless its uses the GPS in your IPAD (wifi+cell model)

IF anyone out there has an IPAD AIR (2) wifi only model and can test this scenario out please reply with your findings and proove me wrong..

I have been searching the answers because i made the mistake of buying the ipad wifi model. And only to realise that i will not be able to reset any new home point if i move the controller to a new location unless my ipad has gps to provide the new location info to the app.

Once again if i am wrong please share your findings

cheers
Harvey
2015-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules