QUESTION - Mavic Air OR P4P
659 13 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David J.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

So, I have a question. I’ve been flipping DJI P3Ss, and have made some money (around $500) that way, and hope to use it for an upgrade. Then, just today I picked up a Mavic Air for $400. Crazy deal, and that got me thinking. I could sell it, and with the money I made, I could probably buy a P4P.

So, my question is this - As a 15 year old who like to film for fun, but would also like to make money with a drone, should I sell the Mavic Air, spend a bit more money, and get the P4P, or should I keep the MA?

All suggestions and input are welcome! Thanks
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do appreciate bringing this query to us. I would suggest sticking first with the Mavic Air while saving for the Phantom 4 Pro. Take this as a step by step upgrade before getting into the Phantom series. Anyways it all really depends on the style of Photography you want to cater in. Hope it enlightens you in any way. Thank you for continued support. Have a safe flight always.
2018-8-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

P4P or MP2 are both great drones.
My estimate is that the P4P is slightly 'better' when it comes to image quality.
But it is bigger also.
2018-8-27
Use props
David J.
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-27 11:23
P4P or MP2 are both great drones.
My estimate is that the P4P is slightly 'better' when it comes to image quality.
But it is bigger also.

That’s what I was thinking. My decision is between keeping the Air or selling and trying to get the P4P. What do think? I’m leaning towards keeping the MA, and waiting until P5 comes out and everyone starts selling the P4Ps for cheap
2018-8-27
Use props
MauiMaps
lvl.4

Film for fun = Mavic Air. Take it more places, quicker setup. P4P if your into editing/film. +When the next phantom comes out, hopefully in a year, P4P price would go down.
2018-8-27
Use props
David J.
Second Officer
United States

MauiMaps Posted at 2018-8-27 11:46
Film for fun = Mavic Air. Take it more places, quicker setup. P4P if your into editing/film. +When the next phantom comes out, hopefully in a year, P4P price would go down.

That’s what I think I’ll go with. I have some $ from the affiliate program that I might buy a couple more batteries, hub charger, case, and SD card. Keep this for a while, then see what’s up.

Another question - any suggestions on case(s) for the MA? I’m thinking about the Fly More Combo case, but the decision isn’t in stone yet.
2018-8-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David J. Posted at 2018-8-27 11:45
That’s what I was thinking. My decision is between keeping the Air or selling and trying to get the P4P. What do think? I’m leaning towards keeping the MA, and waiting until P5 comes out and everyone starts selling the P4Ps for cheap

It depends on what you need.
The Air is so portable, that makes it very much fun to take anywhere
But if you need better image quality, the P4P might be a good investment.
2018-8-27
Use props
David J.
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-27 12:29
It depends on what you need.
The Air is so portable, that makes it very much fun to take anywhere
But if you need better image quality, the P4P might be a good investment.

I don’t NEED per say better image quality, but I would like it. But, considering the video quality isn’t all to different, I think I’ll keep the MA. The only thing I really don’t like is the range. Even compared to the MP, it is so much less. But, I can work with it until it’s time for an upgrade.
2018-8-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David J. Posted at 2018-8-27 12:32
I don’t NEED per say better image quality, but I would like it. But, considering the video quality isn’t all to different, I think I’ll keep the MA. The only thing I really don’t like is the range. Even compared to the MP, it is so much less. But, I can work with it until it’s time for an upgrade.

Indeed, if you feel it is not too different, you don't need the P4P.
Most people can make great video with the MA.
There is only a couple of limitations you need to be aware of and other than that it is a very nice bird.
2018-8-27
Use props
David J.
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-27 12:43
Indeed, if you feel it is not too different, you don't need the P4P.
Most people can make great video with the MA.
There is only a couple of limitations you need to be aware of and other than that it is a very nice bird.

There are definite differences, but considering I’m not doing anything professional/for money, I think ill stick with the MA. What limitations are you referencing?
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

David J. Posted at 2018-8-27 12:45
There are definite differences, but considering I’m not doing anything professional/for money, I think ill stick with the MA. What limitations are you referencing?

Hi, You can also use our drone comparison to our website to see what are the differences aside from the physical size. Please see the link below.

https://www.dji.com/products/compare-consumer-drones
2018-8-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David J. Posted at 2018-8-27 12:45

Mainly flight time and image quality.
The P4P has a better camera system with more dynamic range and a bit less noise.
So in high contrast or low light situations the P4P will do a little better.
Plus it has more settings to play around with.
BUT the MA is a beautiful little drone that can do about 85% that P4P can.
And it is so small you can take it everywhere.
2018-8-28
Use props
David J.
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-28 11:44
Mainly flight time and image quality.
The P4P has a better camera system with more dynamic range and a bit less noise.
So in high contrast or low light situations the P4P will do a little better.

The main thing I’ve noticed from flying a P3S to the MA is the flight time and limited gimbal range. The P3S could handle harder breaking and keep the footage smooth. But, the MA brakes REALLY hard, and the footage is affected.

But, I love the small size - soooo portable. I’m trying to decide what case to get - either the OEM DJI one, or a 3rd party one. DJI one seems almost too big to slide into a backpack.
2018-8-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David J. Posted at 2018-8-28 11:52
The main thing I’ve noticed from flying a P3S to the MA is the flight time and limited gimbal range. The P3S could handle harder breaking and keep the footage smooth. But, the MA brakes REALLY hard, and the footage is affected.

But, I love the small size - soooo portable. I’m trying to decide what case to get - either the OEM DJI one, or a 3rd party one. DJI one seems almost too big to slide into a backpack.

Yes, I forgot about range.

I only use the fly more bag.
That is perfect with the MP.
The fly more package just fits.

Or I put it in my DSLR camera bag on the place where a lens can sit.
Also fits like a glove.
2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules