Drone use in greece
3500 16 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
samgawthorpdji
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Just found out that my brother in law is getting married in Greece next year and would love to be able to take my drone and take a few pics of the wedding and also because Greece is simply stunning. I was conscious about the 8km from an airport rule and thought that I might possibly have to complete a form for permission. Reading the following link it appears that isn't the case

https://www.uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/greece-drone-laws/

Any thoughts or experience on taking and using one out there?

Thanks
2018-8-27
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft

You don't need permission, however you have to register that you will fly your drone. There is a pdf you have to fill with your name, when you fly, where you fly etc. BEFORE you go to Greece.

EDIT: Basicly you can fly nowhere because of all the airports:

https://dagr.hcaa.gr/#map_page

2018-8-27
Use props
samgawthorpdji
lvl.3
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 2018-8-27 11:21
You don't need permission, however you have to register that you will fly your drone. There is a pdf you have to fill with your name, when you fly, where you fly etc. BEFORE you go to Greece.

The info you have mentioned is what I had heard before. But reading that other link implies that's not the case. The wedding is 30km from Athens and the airport, does not have any warnings on the dji flyzone site. Do you think the info given on that link is incorrect or misleading then?
Thanks for your response as well
2018-8-27
Use props
samgawthorpdji
lvl.3
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 2018-8-27 11:21

Further to the link you provided the wedding is in a place called anavyssos which is south of the warning zones highlighted on your link. So potentially a case of registering with the PDF form that is required but less restrictions than normally expected due to the location?
2018-8-27
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Germany

Hello sam,

you don't need to register your drone. However, if you don't, you are only allowed to fly the drone within 50m in each direction.
If you want to fly farther than 50m, you have to register it.

The registration is done with this document: http://www.ypa.gr/en/HCAA_UAS_FLT_request_editable.pdf
As you can see on the first 4 points, you even have to register if you have recreational purposes.
But on the other hand, there are so many people in Greece flying drones, even on Islands where you are not allowed due to the airport limitation.
I highly doubt those people registered their drone. But as always, it's your own risk.

But as you know exactly where and when the wedding takes place, it should be easy to register it, also since you say you are in a free flying zone, everything should be fine if you fill in that document!
2018-8-27
Use props
samgawthorpdji
lvl.3
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 2018-8-27 21:40
Hello sam,

you don't need to register your drone. However, if you don't, you are only allowed to fly the drone within 50m in each direction.

Hi saviour

Thanks for all your responses. Will register it just to be safe and keep within the guidelines
2018-8-27
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Germany

No problem, bud. I only knew that because I might go to Greece on holidays and wanted to know the laws, too.
2018-8-27
Use props
World Tourists
New

Iran

hello!This device is a good device. We used this model for our site videos, which you can see examples of.World Tourists

2018-8-27
Use props
samgawthorpdji
lvl.3
United Kingdom

saviour Posted at 2018-8-27 22:49
No problem, bud. I only knew that because I might go to Greece on holidays and wanted to know the laws, too.

Everywhere I have been in Greece is beautiful so I would definitely recommend going. We were toying with flying to Corfu afterwards and staying on the north of the island, which is more than the 8km limit away from the airport, but that link you provided that area is now sectioned off with some warning which is a shame
2018-8-28
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Germany

samgawthorpdji Posted at 2018-8-28 00:03
Everywhere I have been in Greece is beautiful so I would definitely recommend going. We were toying with flying to Corfu afterwards and staying on the north of the island, which is more than the 8km limit away from the airport, but that link you provided that area is now sectioned off with some warning which is a shame

I know man,  I have many relatives in Greece, just not be able to be there with my drone, yet.
2018-8-28
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

Whenever I travel, I use to check here first:

https://drone-traveller.com/drone-laws-europe/
2018-8-28
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Germany

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-8-28 00:57
Whenever I travel, I use to check here first:

https://drone-traveller.com/drone-laws-europe/

I would not rely on someones subjective writings. I'd always check official websites and not some bloggers who write down laws that might contain faults.
2018-8-28
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

samgawthorpdji Posted at 2018-8-27 11:44
The info you have mentioned is what I had heard before. But reading that other link implies that's not the case. The wedding is 30km from Athens and the airport, does not have any warnings on the dji flyzone site. Do you think the info given on that link is incorrect or misleading then?
Thanks for your response as well

The DJI Geo is the last place you should rely on for accurate no-fly information.Also, never rely on sites like UAVsystems for laws - laws change, websites often dont.  Always check the official source.

It has no concept of individual countries laws and rules and is useless.  You need to use the official app of the country you're visiting:-

You need to see here:-

https://dagr.hcaa.gr/

Ultimately as others has said, the new changes made most of the country restricted without applying for a licence.

2018-8-28
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

saviour Posted at 2018-8-28 01:27
I would not rely on someones subjective writings. I'd always check official websites and not some bloggers who write down laws that might contain faults.

I don't rely on him, but he updates the information often and in the commentaries you can find if there's mistakes. Also he use to add the links to the official information sites when available.

Otherwise, it's usually easy to google the official information.
2018-8-28
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

NO AIRPORT can give you permission to fly a drone. They make & log recommendations, that is all. Get a sectional chart and make a judgement call. It would also be nice to let them know you're in the air via an email to the tower.

Give them:
1. a radial
2. altitude
3. gps location
4. time window
5. contact info

Send that to the tower in a email and fly on. You could also Cc the local police if you're a nice guy, but they do not control the air.

EXAMPLE EMAIL:

SUBJ: UAS Flight Notification:
Unmanned Aircraft System Flight Plan  (AUG 28, 2018) - Pilot Name

I am notifying whomever it may concern that I will be operating a UAS within # miles of [airport]. My designated aircraft is a DJI Mavic Air, registration #.
I will be flying;

063º at 0400 AGL, GPS 98.554141, 103.87456
FLIGHT TIME: 1400Z FLIGHT DURATION: 6HRS

If you need to contact me in case of emergency, I can be reached via mobile phone at +##-###-####.

Best Regards.

TIPS:
> Take a large flight window, or you may have to send another email.
> If the sectional chart restricts the airspace, you can still fly. But you are 100% liable for any mishaps resulting in damage. And there will be a record of the airport tower's recommendation to use the airspace.
> You do not need a reply from the airport. But please give at least 3-5 days notice before your flight, if you can.
> regardless if you do this or not, If you hit anything and damage people or property YOUR'RE SCREWED.
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. Aside from knowing the local policy in regards to using the drone in Greece. I would like to add information that you can check the location if it will be restricted or not for a possible unlocking the locations as well. Please see the link below.

www.dji.com/flysafe
2018-9-4
Use props
visaban
New

Iran

hi my friends!This device is a good device. We used this model for our site videos, which you can see examples of this
2018-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules