Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro: Maiden Flight and first impressions
1990 15 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Arrived this morning. Here are my first impressions as a previous Mavic Pro 1, and current P4P owner.

The build quality feels higher. I'm not sure what material the body is but it feels higher quality than Mavic 1. The battery is noticeably larger. First thing I did was update the firmware. It gave me errors trying to update it with DJI Go 4, so I updated via DJI Assistant and it worked great.

Took it up for up for a spin. First off.. wow this thing is so much quieter than the P4P! The controls also feel refined and I didn't need to adjust them, including the gimbal.
Conditions were sunny and very windy (~25-35mph winds). I recorded in h265 in 4k30, in DLOG mode. I noticed a little surprise, at least for me since I haven't read the manual: There are two modes for 4k, one is cropped, and one is wide-angle. The cropped is a really nice addition, you can see that mode in the video below where the cows look zoomed in. Unfortunately I used a crappy miniSD card so there was a little stuttering.

I haven't tested any of the automatic flying modes because I always fly manual.

It holds up a lot better in the wind compared to the Mavic 1. I used to get camera jitters when flying sideways in heavy winds, everything was super smooth with the Mavic 2. Not a single gimble twitch or shake. Nice! Also.. no problems focusing.. a dreaded issue I had with Mavic 1 that ultimately led me to sell it.

The image quality is astounding, especially with photos. The color accuracy and dynamic range is on par, if not better than my P4P. The video quality looks a little soft, but I haven't played with the custom image settings yet. D-LOG 10-bit mode is the way to go if you grade your own images. It's need less to say the video and picture quality blows the Mavic 1 out the water, by a lot.
Sample pics, edited from DNG and saved as TIF for best quality:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/wjyw5g1zo5a6i3v/DJI_0008.tif
http://www.mediafire.com/file/v1xvyqsz9qddvmm/DJI_0003.tif

Sorry for the scenery.. it's extremely dry out here in Northern Cali and the smog is due to multiple wildfires burning.
BTW... this was not a review.. just some initial impressions. If you are curious about anything ask away.

Video ends at 1:16

2018-8-27
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

One important thing I forgot to mention: Flight time. I was airborne for exactly 20 minutes until the battery hit 23% and I landed. Granted this was with windy conditions.. but I'm not sure how those youtube reviews say 27 minutes.
2018-8-27
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Thanks for the video.
Video went black at frame 1:16 , nothing after that.
What I did see was nice.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-8-27 17:07
Thanks for the video.
Video went black at frame 1:16 , nothing after that.
What I did see was nice.

My bad, 1:16 is where the video should end. I've updated it, however it will take a little while to update on Youtube
2018-8-27
Use props
Packer Backer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240948 ft
United States

Nice thanks for sharing!

Can't wait to get mine!
2018-8-27
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Mir Posted at 2018-8-27 17:15
My bad, 1:16 is where the video should end. I've updated it, however it will take a little while to update on Youtube

No problem. It was nice to see the new Mavic 2 in action.
2018-8-27
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Flight distance : 421532 ft
Australia

Mir Posted at 2018-8-27 16:56
One important thing I forgot to mention: Flight time. I was airborne for exactly 20 minutes until the battery hit 23% and I landed. Granted this was with windy conditions.. but I'm not sure how those youtube reviews say 27 minutes.

You might find that improves slightly after 3 or 4 cycles.
2018-8-27
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Congratulations and thank you very much for sharing your first impressions!
2018-8-27
Use props
Armazia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 125069 ft
Netherlands

Looks great, very sharp video!

Besides that, just another thing;

If I compare the video to a video of a mavic pro (or even my mavic pro), I really don't see why I should upgrade to the mavic 2. I see lots of people who do want it, but I don't really understand.
Don't get me wrong, if I wouldn't have a drone right now I would go for the Mavic 2. Just because of the more sensors (neither do I want to be salty ).

In DJI's promo video you can see the difference between the mavic pro video and the mavic 2 pro video, the mavic pro mostly hast less colour but I think the difference in that promo is overdone.
2018-8-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Glad to see the drone works as expected. Wish you have a good time!
2018-8-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good review      
2018-8-28
Use props
Elanor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 332405 ft
Italy

Thanks a lot for sharing your first impressions!
I currently own a P4P and I really love it. The only downside for me is the size. Since I do a lot of travel and landscape photography, P4P was adding more weight and a lot more volume to my - already cumbersome - photographic equipment.
So after seeing the new camera specs of the new M2P I've decided to take the plunge and ordered it. Now I'm eagerly waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully, it will be here before the weekend.
2018-8-28
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Video looks buttery smooth. Thanks for sharing
2018-8-28
Use props
Anthony566
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

Very nice indeed. Thanks for taking the time to share.
2018-8-28
Use props
kfloke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

OMG! Shouldn't watch too much video from Mavic 2 cos I worry I will click purchase.. lol
2018-8-28
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Elanor Posted at 2018-8-28 04:31
Thanks a lot for sharing your first impressions!
I currently own a P4P and I really love it. The only downside for me is the size. Since I do a lot of travel and landscape photography, P4P was adding more weight and a lot more volume to my - already cumbersome - photographic equipment.
So after seeing the new camera specs of the new M2P I've decided to take the plunge and ordered it. Now I'm eagerly waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully, it will be here before the weekend.

If it's your first Mavic and coming from the P4P you're going to really enjoy it. I dread taking my P4P anywhere, way too cumbersome in size if you're doing any kind of walking/hiking/traveling. Also the setup is longer, having to put on the props, etc
The M2 is a little larger than the M1 but still fits in a tiny bag. You'll find yourself actually flying a lot more.
2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules