Anyone using tablet/phone build in GPS while flying?
468 12 2018-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I know what it can be used for, but for Year and some Never used it myself.
And now when choosing new tablet - am asking for Personal experience from You guys - is anybody used it actually, das it worth the added cost?
2018-8-27
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I am using Nexus 9 for flying now and it has built in GPS. My opinion, i always want backup gps that can reset homepoint when flying or i change my location while my bird is still in the air so i can use RTH function more accurately.
2018-8-27
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Optimus_Prime Posted at 2018-8-27 23:12
I am using Nexus 9 for flying now and it has built in GPS. My opinion, i always want backup gps that can reset homepoint when flying or i change my location while my bird is still in the air so i can use RTH function more accurately.

That's great, but are you ever use it?
2018-8-27
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Vietnam

alex_markov Posted at 2018-8-27 23:16
That's great, but are you ever use it?

Yes, I use it so usual because i am sometime walking hundred meters away from original home point and sometimes my friend driving car and i fly and record the same time.
2018-8-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use an iPad Mini 4 with built in cellular with my Inspire which auto uses the GPS module to support the GPS module in my RC for follow me flight mode and dynamic home point. I also like to cache my maps as I fly without the hassle of caching them over a hotspot or at home before I fly plus I use hybrid to give as much topographical info from maps as possible - especially helpful when flying in areas I am not familiar with. Turning off the video cache linked to editor in the GO app removes any glitches during flight. The GO app is optimised for the iPhone 7 plus which uses an A10 fusion processor and GO 4 is optimised for the iPhone 8 plus which uses the new A11 bio processor (same as the iPhone X). So using an iPad Mini 4 (whilst compatible) only has an A8 processor and does not seem to handle simultaneous screen recording very effectively whilst in flight. Cellular iPads are clearly not essential but obviously a nice to have to maximise the functionality of the drone and offers more convenient solutions during flight.
2018-8-28
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Vietnam

A CW Posted at 2018-8-28 00:43
I use an iPad Mini 4 with built in cellular with my Inspire which auto uses the GPS module to support the GPS module in my RC for follow me flight mode and dynamic home point. I also like to cache my maps as I fly without the hassle of caching them over a hotspot or at home before I fly plus I use hybrid to give as much topographical info from maps as possible - especially helpful when flying in areas I am not familiar with. Turning off the video cache linked to editor in the GO app removes any glitches during flight. The GO app is optimised for the iPhone 7 plus which uses an A10 fusion processor and GO 4 is optimised for the iPhone 8 plus which uses the new A11 bio processor (same as the iPhone X). So using an iPad Mini 4 (whilst compatible) only has an A8 processor and does not seem to handle simultaneous screen recording very effectively whilst in flight. Cellular iPads are clearly not essential but obviously a nice to have to maximise the functionality of the drone and offers more convenient solutions during flight.

How are you mate! Good to see you around! Good luck and take care!
2018-8-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Optimus_Prime Posted at 2018-8-28 00:52
How are you mate! Good to see you around! Good luck and take care!

Very well thanks mate. Hope you're doing well too.
2018-8-28
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

A CW Posted at 2018-8-28 00:43
I use an iPad Mini 4 with built in cellular with my Inspire which auto uses the GPS module to support the GPS module in my RC for follow me flight mode and dynamic home point. I also like to cache my maps as I fly without the hassle of caching them over a hotspot or at home before I fly plus I use hybrid to give as much topographical info from maps as possible - especially helpful when flying in areas I am not familiar with. Turning off the video cache linked to editor in the GO app removes any glitches during flight. The GO app is optimised for the iPhone 7 plus which uses an A10 fusion processor and GO 4 is optimised for the iPhone 8 plus which uses the new A11 bio processor (same as the iPhone X). So using an iPad Mini 4 (whilst compatible) only has an A8 processor and does not seem to handle simultaneous screen recording very effectively whilst in flight. Cellular iPads are clearly not essential but obviously a nice to have to maximise the functionality of the drone and offers more convenient solutions during flight.

I used iPad mini 4  cellular for a year - great device, but screen recording end DJI GO 4   and my eyes are not as good as before, so today I both iPad 6 (9.6", A10, WiFi) and I see definitely better but it needs some used to as with the adapter is big and bulky I still don't know how will fit in my backpack ;)
2018-8-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alex_markov Posted at 2018-8-28 10:19
I used iPad mini 4  cellular for a year - great device, but screen recording end DJI GO 4   and my eyes are not as good as before, so today I both iPad 6 (9.6", A10, WiFi) and I see definitely better but it needs some used to as with the adapter is big and bulky I still don't know how will fit in my backpack ;)

Yeah, the Mini 4 is easier to carry but not screen recording is a minor set back. The new iPad 9.7" does have the same A10 as the iPhone 7+ so it will be smoother with the GO apps. The size of it was the main reason I didn't get the 9.7" though as difficult to carry around and won't even fit in my Inspire case lol (my wife has the Air 2 which is the same size) and I only use the files from my sd card anyway so turning off the video cache is no big loss for me. Other than that I find the Mini 4 to be the best device to use with DJI drones but the 9.7" screen will come in handy for you if your eye sight is struggling with the Mini 4.
2018-8-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think I use it, but I'm not sure.
Have never flow without it.
It does point to 'me' in the lower left corner, so I guess it knows where I am.
And yes, that feature I use a lot.
(not sure if a 'no gps device' can do that too.
2018-8-28
Use props
djiuser_iTYmGJ1Ipw3c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

Lenovo tab3 plus works fine, just remove everything and don't cache images.
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello. I appreciate your time bringing this query to us. Actually, it's not necessary to use a device with built-in GPS. As long as the phone that you are using is a compatible device. If you have further question, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-9-4
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I found a strange thing - new iPad has a bigger screen but a lot more reflective then mini and is harder to see the pictures during the day in many occasions (I see mostly myself ) - back to mini
2018-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules